Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Actually I was just playing India, happiness was not really a problem because all your cities will have few workable tiles and there's health cap as well. Of course after Calendar the situation is much better.

Actually I was just playing India, happiness was not really a problem because all your cities will have few workable tiles and there's health cap as well. Of course after Calendar the situation is much better.

When you found Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Catholicism, Islam and have Confucianism it does become a problem

There's something wrong with the DLL in my latest update (it shows a red exclamation mark). I believe it makes the embassies in my game all screwed up (I can build embassies for dead civs and civs i dont have contact with but not for my neighbours). Does anyone know how to fix this?

When you found Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Catholicism, Islam and have Confucianism it does become a problem
That's the point of the unhappiness mechanism. The actual Indians didn't do that, too, maybe for a reason? ;)

There's something wrong with the DLL in my latest update (it shows a red exclamation mark). I believe it makes the embassies in my game all screwed up (I can build embassies for dead civs and civs i dont have contact with but not for my neighbours). Does anyone know how to fix this?
The red exclamation mark means that you changed a file on your own, so that it's not identical to the online repository anymore. Don't know how that happened - you better delete all files with red exclamation marks and update the containing folder again.

The red exclamation mark means that you changed a file on your own, so that it's not identical to the online repository anymore. Don't know how that happened - you better delete all files with red exclamation marks and update the containing folder again.

It's working again. Thanks :)

That's the point of the unhappiness mechanism. The actual Indians didn't do that, too, maybe for a reason? ;)

India in real life has buckets of religions

And in game they have easy access to Shwedagon Paya, and they need to build lots of temples anyways.

Zoroastrianism, Catholicism and Islam not among them :p

India has the world's largest Zoroastrian community, over 100 million Muslim, Catholicism has 17 million adherents and it does in fact have an (oriental) Orthodox community probably dating to thed first century. Oh and then there is Jainism and Sikhism.

India has the world's largest Zoroastrian community, over 100 million Muslim, Catholicism has 17 million adherents and it does in fact have an (oriental) Orthodox community probably dating to thed first century. Oh and then there is Jainism and Sikhism.

Whats your point. India still did not found those religions and many of them only became significant in India long after they were founded.

Islam's spread into India is already simulated very well with the Mughals.

However, I do think Zoroastrianism should spread more in India and Central Asia. As it is now it spreads a lot into Europe (particularly Rome and Greece) instead. Not very realistic.

This is due to the mechanism of decreased extra Religion spread possibility with the increase in the number of religions already present in a city, so that it is extremely hard to spread 4 or more religions into 1 city. I think India should be an exception to this rule.

By contrast, civs running Pantheon should have a decreased probability of Religion spread into their cities. This will hopefully prevent Buddhist/Zoroastrian Rome, Egypt or Greece from happening.

Islam's spread into India is already simulated very well with the Mughals.

However, I do think Zoroastrianism should spread more in India. As it is now it spreads a lot into Europe instead.

This is due to the mechanism of decreased extra Religion spread possibility with the increase in the number of religions already present in a city, so that it is extremely hard to spread 4 or more religions into 1 city. I think India should be an exception to this rule.
India is on a separate continent from Persia meaning the AI can't spread Zoroastrianism via missionary. Kolachi on the west bank of the Indus (in other words where Karachi is) is on that continent too meaning my missionaries can't see it via automation

However, I do think Zoroastrianism should spread more in India and Central Asia. As it is now it spreads a lot into Europe (particularly Rome and Greece) instead. Not very realistic.

Actually, if I might interject, because I know quite a bit about paganism/polytheism,
the cult of Mithra, who was a Yazata of the Zoroastrian religion, became quite popular
in Rome and many parts of the Roman Empire, as well as Greece.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/386025/Mithra

Actually, if I might interject, because I know quite a bit about paganism/polytheism,
the cult of Mithra, who was a Yazata of the Zoroastrian religion, became quite popular
in Rome and many parts of the Roman Empire, as well as Greece.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/386025/Mithra
This is why you use a proper Encyclopedia rather than Wikipedia, heh?

The thing I like about the Pantheon civic is that it reflects the Greek/Roman habit of adopting & equating foreign deities with their own (quite the cosmopolitan outlook when you think of it). Zeus-Jupiter-Amun being perhaps the best example - Alexander saw an Egyptian god (Amun) but recognized it as Greek (Zeus). Mithra has been associated/merged with Apollo. Ishtar, of the Ishtar Gate, has been equated with Aphrodite/Venus.

So instead of representing every ancient cult/deity in ancient Europe and Middle East you get Pantheon and Pagan Temple. That's it. Plus many Wonders for flavor. Zoroastrianism really isn't very special among them, other than its survival into modern times, which is a historical accident IMO (please correct me if I'm wrong).

In fact, I never understood why Judaism was replaced by Zoroastrianism. Judaism has more adherents and far greater historical influence.

How about representing Zoroastrianism with Pantheon instead, and resurrect Judaism as a special religion, like in RFCE?

(1) No Jewish Holy City/Shrines.

(2) Far less auto-spread. Auto-spread is enhanced by running Secularism.

(3) No Monasteries/Cathedrals.

(4) Jewish Quarter: boosts :gold: by 10% instead of :science:. Does not obsolete.

At the very least, there should be no such thing as a "Zoroastrian Monastery". Confucian/Taoist Monasteries make a little more sense, but still very little.

In fact, I never understood why Judaism was replaced by Zoroastrianism. Judaism has more adherents and far greater historical influence.

How about representing Zoroastrianism with Pantheon instead, and resurrect Judaism as a special religion, like in RFCE?

(1) No Jewish Holy City/Shrines.

(2) Far less auto-spread. Auto-spread is enhanced by running Secularism.

(3) No Monasteries/Cathedrals.

(4) Jewish Quarter: boosts :gold: by 10% instead of :science:. Does not obsolete.

At the very least, there should be no such thing as a "Zoroastrian Monastery". Confucian/Taoist Monasteries make a little more sense, but still very little.

Zoroastrianism was once far bigger and was the religion of the Persian Empire

Zoroastrianism was once far bigger and was the religion of the Persian Empire
How about Greek/Roman mythology? It was once even bigger, and the religion of the Macedonian and Roman empires, no? Zoroastrianism was displaced by Islam just as Greek/Roman mythology was displaced by Christianity. Why does one get the special treatment but not the other?

How about Sumerian religion? Egyptian mythology? Shinto? Sikhism? Mormonism? How are all of them (and Judaism of course) negligible compared to Zoroastrianism?

Exactly what is so special about Zoroastrianism, that puts it on the same standing with Catholicism, Islam, Hinduism, Confucianism, or any other religion in this game?

I think a rational reason why Judaism was replaced is because it's tied to blood more often that not;
Judaism isn't exactly preached with the intent of converting others.
Zoroastrianism also set the groundwork and foundation for Judaism as well;
ideas of heaven and hell, and angels were directly derived from that faith.

I would also make the case that Buddhism, Hinduism & Taoism contain polytheistic elements too, but are significant enough to be considered major religions.
Aside from those who follow the main tenets of those paths, others also associated worship deities such as Guanyin, Vishnu and so on and so forth. I would say that Zoroastrianism belongs in that camp as well. As evidenced by the adoption of Persian deities by many Greeks after Alexander's conquests and the cult of Mithra in Rome.

Also, a Zoroastrian Temple should be called a Fire Temple, Leoreth,
if you would be so kind as to implement the change.

As for the other pantheons you have mentioned (the Annunaki, the Pesedjet, the Tuatha Dé Danann, the Amatsukami (of Shinto), among others),
I would probably like to see them represented too, but there are too many religions in the mod as it is.
So I'm personally satisfied with those at least, being represented by Pantheon.

Also, a Zoroastrian Temple should be called a Fire Temple, Leoreth,

That's the Zoroastrian cathedral at the moment.

Zoroastrianism really isn't very special among them, other than its survival into modern times, which is a historical accident IMO (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Zoroastrianism was different from most religions that are covered by Pantheon. First of all, it's not polytheistic, but monotheistic. Also, it was much more institutionalized as a state religion compared to its contemporaries, only the later Abrahamic religions would provide similarly institutionalized state religions (while for example Roman polytheism was the de facto state religion due to its involvement in political rituals and later the deification of emperors, there were no real religious institutions to support this).

Judaism on the other hand behaves more like a "Pantheon religion" in that it was always closely tied to the culture that invented it, and only became widespread across the world because of said culture's diaspora.

Top Bottom