Help for the mod!

acoran

Chieftain
Hi! This mod is great! I would like to help in it, I read all Dune books, and I have modded before for other games about Dune, then I have a lot of material.

Hi acoran,

I think the mod is pretty close to "done". I think there are likely to be maybe a couple more patches and then a final version. If you're interested in helping out that's great, probably the most effective thing for you to do would be to spend some time playing the latest version of the mod to familiarize yourself and then post any thoughts you have here.

It would also be worth looking through a lot of the threads here, where a lot of the design work has been done.

Welcome to the mod, and to the CFC forums.

I report some issues:

Suggestions:
David Lynch's Dune let us some good artistics concepts. Too there are some things in books that are not represented in game.

Houses:
1º Atriedes logo. Is good that his mod dont put as house color "blue" for Atreides, In fact Atreides colour is red, is a error since first game of Dune (1992). It is described in books, being something similar to this. But this mod have done something similar.
Spoiler :

2º Harkkonnen logo. As Atreides, actual concept of Harkonnen logo was created by 1992's Dune game, and renewed by next games, but literacy says that Harkonnen logo was a Blue Griffin. Something like this, not necessary that:
Spoiler :

3º House Vernius: In literacy, house Vernius' (House IX does not exist, IX is the planet) logo was golden and purple two arms propeller or helix.
4º House Ordos never was in books. In fact House Ordos seems to have his conceptual origin in Theilaxu. Another creation made in "Westwood studios"
5º Other houses: There are many other houses appeared in books, like House GInaz, Moritani (both enemy houses), Boro family, House Fenring, Hagal, Mutelli, Novebruns, Richese (another hight tech house similar to IX, allie of House Harkonnen), Taligari.
here there are a list based in Frank Herbert books,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dune_Houses

Escenarios:
A good idea for expand mod, is play in another planets for example:
6º Calandan (Atreides) Green planet
Spoiler :

from House Atreides book

7º Geidi Prime (Harkonnen) Over industrialized, tundra and forest planet (something like Russia)
Spoiler :
Partial map

is in spanish, appeared in House Atreides book

8º Kaitain (Corrino)
Spoiler :

9º Salusa Secundus (Corrino) Saradaukar's troops planet, a devasted-prision planet.
http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Salusa_Secundus
10º Earth: In the first 3 books of Brian Herbert says what house ruled Earth like an historically reservoir.
11º Others...
Here there are a good list of planets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dune_planets

7º Arts:
Some good art that can be included:
12º Harkonnen topter:

13º Atreides topter:
Spoiler :

14º Some deserts units from movie (3d rebuilded)
Spoiler :

15º Emperor flying palace:

16º Carryall:
Spoiler :

17º Harkonnen Frigate

18º Atreides Frigate

19º Units costumes

Leaders:
20º Fremen leaders: 2/3 of Fremen leaders in mod, are not fremen, Paul Atraides (Muab'dib) is an Atreides, in 10191, when arrive to Arrakis. Lyet is the imperial ecologist, maybe will be good search for others Fremen leaders.
21º Atreides leaders: The game starts in 10191, then what do Leto II or Alia? In any case, that people is before fallen of Corrino's empires and destruction of House Atreides, then, are they House Atreides? Good leaders for house Atreides will be, Leto and Paul Atreides and add Duncan Idaho, Thufir Hawat and Gurney Halleck.
22º Harkonnen's Leaders: That are good, add Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, Piter De Vries and maybe Abulurd Harkonnen or Iakin Nefud.

what happend to my post? I posted about some consideration about the mod... where is the post?

what happend to my post? I posted about some consideration about the mod... where is the post?

Now the post is there :).
Sorry for the delay :blush:, but our spam prevention systems are set to the level "Terminator", and it sadly catches also legit posts and we're not that fast with checking if the system works totally properly :/. I hope it will not happen again :).

Hi acoran,

Thanks for the comments, I hope you enjoy the mod.

I don't think we have the level of enthusiasm from artists to continue creating new art work for the game. This is a Civ4 mod, so we are limited by the available art content, and like every mod have borrowed art made for other purposes and so don't get a perfect graphical fit.

Also, the mod is inspired not just by the books, but also by the Dune games and films, which are how many people have come across the Dune universe. As such, we deliberately include some non-canon material (like House Ordos) to flesh out the universe (otherwise we wouldn't have enough factions) and we use some visual styles (like the banners) that people will recognize from other sources.

On specifics:
House Vernius isn't really canon either, it exists only in the prequels. In the various sequels to Dune by Frank Herbert, Ixian stuff is referred to as Ixian, so that is the name we stuck to.

We're not going to be making expansions for the mod, and many of the mod features and mechanics wouldn't make sense on other planets (water scarcity, spice, sandworms, Fremen, etc.).

On leaders:
We decided that Muad'Dib made more sense as a Fremen leader, he was Fremen by the time he had any power, and we already had 3 Atreides leaders.
Liet-Kynes (not to be confused with his father Pardot Kynes) was indeed Imperial Planetologist, but he was also the closest thing the Fremen had to a faction-wide leader during the period of Dune itself.

For Harkonnen, the Baron is already there, and the others are minor characters, and 3 leaders for a faction is sufficient.

Top Bottom