New Units: Coastal Reefs Sets Jan. 15, 2010

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
These simple units were made to go with Snoopy's and
Aries de Borg's Coastal Terrains but they
might fit other similar Coastal Terrains.
Any Different terrain requires changing the Reefs to "fit" the
colors and esthetics envolved.

Intended as Pre-placed Units that can also Enslave the Shipwreck Reefs.
No Attack or Death animation was made for these type Units.

I added some bubbles coming out of the Shipwreck just to have something other than a stationary Unit Graphic.

Two Sets of Two Reefs, One Set for Snoopy's Coastal Terrain
and One Set for Aries de Borg's Coastal Terrain.
Each Set includes:

Coastal Reef:
CoastalReefDefault.flc
CoastalReefLarge and Small Civilopedia Images
units_32_CoastalReef.pcx
Coastal Reef.ini

Extra Reef Images: ReefLarge.pcx and ReefSmall.pcx
(Generic Coral Reef Images for Civilopedia if wanted.)

Shipwreck Coastal Reef:
ShipwreckCoastalReefDefault.flc
ShipwreckCoastalReefLarge and Small Civilopedia Images
units_32_ShipwreckCoastalReef.pcx
Coastal Shipwreck Reef.ini

Snoopy Terrain Coastal Reef and Shipwreck Coastal Reef
Preview:

Aries de Borg's Terrain Coastal Reef and Shipwreck Coastal Reef
Preview:

You can get the Files here

Last edited:
Great stuff Vuldacon and strangely hypnotic watching and waiting for the little bubbles to appear. :)

Thanks guys... I looked at Reefs and the only way to get anything close was to use Shadows and some slight color. The larger parts appear more like Rocks but at CIV Scale I could not have the needed detail to add Coral. I suppose the Units will work as wanted anyway.

King Arthur... Bubbles, yes, sort of reminds me of watching a Fish Aquarium :lol:

Perhaps someone would prefer to see a Tresure Chest with the Lid Opening and Closing... and a few Bubbles coming out each time of cource, :lol:

These Reefs fill the entire Tile in a Game but I kept them inside the Tile.

Because the Terrain is different colors in Games as well as between Coast and Sea in any game, it is necessary to remake Reefs to fit each Terrain.

Anyone could simply colorize the reefs with one color if they wanted something such as an all Blue Reef, etc...

Edit: Sorry Ares... I spelled your Name with an added i in Aries but I am sure everyone knows you :)

These are stunning! I wonder what the ingame effects look like. I think Vuldacon you are the first to present an animated terrain tile?

These simple units were made to go with Snoopy's and
Aries de Borg's Coastal Terrains but they
might fit other similar Coastal Terrains.
Any Different terrain requires changing the Reefs to "fit" the
colors and esthetics envolved.

Intended as Pre-placed Units that can also Enslave the Shipwreck Reefs.
No Attack or Death animation was made for these type Units.

I added some bubbles coming out of the Shipwreck just to have something other than a stationary Unit Graphic.

Two Sets of Two Reefs, One Set for Snoopy's Coastal Terrain
and One Set for Aries de Borg's Coastal Terrain.

Each Set includes:
Coastal Reef:
CoastalReefDefault.flc
CoastalReefLarge and Small Civilopedia Images
units_32_CoastalReef.pcx
Coastal Reef.ini

Extra Reef Images: ReefLarge.pcx and ReefSmall.pcx
(Generic Coral Reef Images for Civilopedia if wanted.)

Shipwreck Coastal Reef:
ShipwreckCoastalReefDefault.flc
ShipwreckCoastalReefLarge and Small Civilopedia Images
units_32_ShipwreckCoastalReef.pcx
Coastal Shipwreck Reef.ini

Snoopy Terrain Coastal Reef and Shipwreck Coastal Reef
Preview:

Aries de Borg's Terrain Coastal Reef and Shipwreck Coastal Reef
Preview:

You can get the Files here

Thanks Vuldacon, these are exactly what I wanted. They will work well in the scenario and will replace the static ones I am currently using.

Moff Jerjerrod... Glad you like them. They look good in game when I tested them. Simple bubbles help add a little effect to these simple units.
They are Units rather than Animated Terrain but I understand what you mean because they are used as if Terrain Tiles in a Game.

The Guardian... Check them out in your game and if you want an adjustment, let me know.

Thanks for the kind posts Varnos and imperator1961

I was just wondering if any programmer could find a way to allow us to Turn the Health Bar off. That detracts from Units and especially for some special units such as a Reef seeing the Tall Green Health Bar by it :lol:
I do know that we can just get rid of the Health Bar by changing the Graphics to Blank but it is needed so would prefer to have the ability to turn it on and off. We use to be able to do that in CIV II if I remember correctly.

Edit: Leaven... Yes, the Shipwreck Reef was made specifically to allow the Reef to change appearance but either Reef can be used as anyone prefers.

I believe the Reef is set as invisible and Hidden Nationality so it can be "discoverd" as a Former Uncharted Reef. After the Reef Wins, it Enslaves the Shipwreck Reef...simple.

The main issue I do not care for is that Hidden Nationality causes the AI to go after Units because that setting is Barbarians. It does not matter if a Unit is set as invisible or not, the AI will make a Bee Line for them just as it does for Barbarians.

If we set the Reefs without Hidden Nationality, they will start Wars. So we have to put up with the AI going after them.

Thank you so very much for making my request. The result is even better than imagined. Your artistic endeavors will always be appreciated. Once again THANK YOU!

Wow, what a cool idea! I love it when specialized units like this are released (and you seem to do most of them). Is the enslave idea mainly so that the shipwreck graphic will replace the regular one?

Yes the idea is to have the reef invisable until it enslaves a ship then it becomes visible. Much like an ancient mapmaker would add them to sea charts.

Happy you like the Reef BadKharma... Check it in your Game and if it needs any adjustment, let me know. I was limited in the Terrain I could see when Testing these units on the different Coastal Terrains so it is possible that they could use a little more or less contrast or some other Tweak.

Moff Jerjerrod... Glad you like them. They look good in game when I tested them. Simple bubbles help add a little effect to these simple units.
They are Units rather than Animated Terrain but I understand what you mean because they are used as if Terrain Tiles in a Game.

The Guardian... Check them out in your game and if you want an adjustment, let me know.

They are units because we originally wanted to make them LM Terrain, but coast terrain can not be LM. We originally want terrain in order to make it impassable to control and direct trade routes. Because Coastal terrain can not be LM I came up with the idea of the reef unit making it invisible. I have to credit pounder tho, it was his reef terrain graphic that gave me the idea. Credit should also go to TOM2050 for the original static unit that he made and that I used to test the feasibility of the this game concept working in the game. This final version by Vuldacon is the pias de resistants. Excellent work Vuldacon. Personally I could not be happier.

I have tested them in game and they look and work exactly as I had imagined and hoped they would using snoopy's terrain. Thanks again Vuldacon for your excellent work.

They look really nice.
They also look like some sort of sunken village. They could be used for city graphics, if anyone ever found a use for underwater cities.
Bubbles! Stupendiferous!

Top Bottom