CPU usage is enormous

So, I closed the game and folders when I made that last post. When I went back to double click the start.bat file, it again would not let me open a saved game. So, I cut and pasted the CPU throttle folder in the Civilization main folder, then I cut and pasted the CPU throttle folder back in the folder where the saved games were, and I can again play saved games using the program. I don't know enough about programming to know what is wrong. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Does the "Ready to roll" messagebox appear? If not then the patch failed to apply itself for some reason. It shouldn't make any difference, but what version of Civ are you running? If it is MGE, do you have the 1.3 patch installed?

the patch is not working for me. i'm running civ2 with most recent patch v2.42 on a pc with XP pro sp2. when i run the bat file i get a message box saying "damn".

appreciate any help:confused:

Reads as if you ended up with an outdated version of the tool. The most recent one can be found here. If that one doesn't work, either, it would be helpful to know which version of Civ2 you are trying to start.

till, thanks a bunch for the patch. I use my old laptop while travelling, and if I can't plug it in I only get about an hour of civ 2.42 time. I expect this to help. The key to working, I think, is to put the files in the same folder as civ2.exe

Update to the patch on 2.42.
All seems to work well, except:
If I try to save the game, civ closes and no save is done.
There is no error message or indication.
I have to restart from the last autosave.

Help?

report works for me on all my versions. Civ 242, Civ MGE, Civ TOT

works in all, gonna test on SMAC and SMACX tomorrow

Regi informed me that the programme also works with Infinity Engine games, such as Baldur's Gate. You'll need an adjusted CPUThrottle.dll, which is available here. Just replace your local copy of the dll with this one.
This version might also help people, who are experiencing glitches while using the programme for Civ2.

civ2.exe uses 80-90% of the CPU here. But I'm using an old Pentium 3 laptop running at 850 MHz, so I guess around 90% is not so bad? :think:
The cooling fan is running at medium speed and no overheating.
I have not installed any patch, but I'm on the lookout for a patch because of some bugs in the game.

I too use XP Pro.

Edit:
What means MGE?

MGE = Multiplayer Gold Edition.

I'm running Civ2 on a W7 64bit laptop and had found the fan noise was annoying if not actually alarming. I then stumbled across this patch earlier today, installed it and everything is fine. I haven't encountered any of the problems referred to above. The instructions were straightforward. The only problem (for me) was that I have Civ2 tucked away in a subfolder of My Documents so the full path was rather long. However the .bat file swallowed that without difficulty.

Just a quick update on this fix. I reported yesterday on another thread that this fix not only stops the cpu overheating /fan noise problem but on my machine it also allows the wonder videos to run without skipping and scratching. Looks like the two problems are related somehow.

So, for me at least, good news all round. :goodjob:

Sorry, careless use of words.

I'm talking about the CPU Throttle fix not a CIV2 patch. I just used the latest download version from the first post.

Edit Apologies - obviously having a bad day.

I meant the fix posted by Till in post #72. Here's the link if I've done it right this time:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6831087&postcount=72

Works absolutely perfectly for me every time - AND it fixes the sound problem with movies as a bonus!

^I see, thank you TinkMaster.

I have a new and hopefully improved version ready. It should run much faster now, thanks to an alternative slowdown method timbatron pointed out to me. Much obliged!

Nyayr noticed some rather severe compatibility problems with CIV2 MGE, which should be fixed in this version. The new patch was successfully tested on Windows XP and Windows 2k.

According to poster Fifty, the patch also works with Alpha Centauri, by the way!
Is this patch working with all saves, or only with saves that is saved after the patch is installed?

Civ II v2.42
Win XP

Is this patch working with all saves, or only with saves that is saved after the patch is installed?

The saved game files aren't affected as it's only a runtime patch. The patch temporarily changes the copy of Civ2.exe that's loaded into computer memory when you run it. I've found the patch isn't Civ2 specific - it works with some other exe files as well. Since it doesn't affect the disk copy of your files you can still run Civ2.exe in the usual way if the patch doesn't work for you. So I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

I've tried it now. At first it worked impressive, my CPU usage dropped from 100% to 23%, and the fan slowed down to the 1st notch. The game became noticeably less responsive but not so slow that it's a problem.

But when I tried to save the game, it just quit. Same problem as geofelt reported in post #85. I don't know for sure if autosave works, but I need to be able to manually save.

Civ II v2.42
Windows XP 32 bit

Strange. I've had no problems at all. I'm using the patch which converts classic Civ2 to the MGE version plus the extra minor patches recommended for 64bit systems in the relevant threads near the top of this board. Is there a simple way to find out which patch I'm running? I looked for a number similar to v2.42 but couldn't find one.

I'm using W7 64bit.

Top Bottom