CPU usage is enormous

I am running win 7 32 bits and I have the same problem as Sir_Lancelot. Without the CPU-throttle, I can run civ2 and load/save files, but have near 100% CPU usage. With the CPU-throttle, the CPU usage problem is gone, but loading and saving is impossible. :-(

Hmm wierd my first play time around this cpu throttle worked flawlessly. now im plaiyng on win10 64bit and i cant load my games if i have cpu throttle running

my savegames was saved without cpu throttle running ( i had forgotten about it)

tried enabling admin mode for both inject.exe and civ2.exe but nothing helped

This is probably a long shot, but you might try checking the "disable visual themes" compatibility option. I have no experience with either Windows 10 or the CPU-Throttle, but this setting + "run as admin" helped me under Windows 7 64 bit with a similar load/save issue for the original RollerCoaster Tycoon game.

I hope this is the right thread to add to... I've been playing gamesnostalgia's download for a a year or two now in Windows 10 and noticed performance problems in longer games. The longer I'm playing, the worse it gets. Task manager shows that Windows Explorer quickly jumps to at least 30% CPU usage, sometimes Desktop Window Manager joins in and causes high CPU as well. When I hit "Save Game", Windows takes forever to show any reaction. Sometimes, the system just goes into shock and I have to force shutdown. Also, from some point, I can't minimize / switch away from the game to the desktop or other windows without waiting forever, sometimes it causes a crash as well.

I've now deleted all files and re-installed gamesnostalgia's update from October 2020 and FoxAhead's CIV2UIA (I hoped the CPU throttle would be helpful). Started a new game, and after 2 minutes, fan started running, Windows Explorer went up to 32% again, Desktop Window Manager to 14% and Civ2.exe changes between 1-11%. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not sure what more info you might need. I run the Launcher with admin rights and compatability was preset to Win XP SP2. Civ2.exe with admin rights and compatability preset to Win XP SP3.

I hope this is the right thread to add to... I've been playing gamesnostalgia's download for a a year or two now in Windows 10 and noticed performance problems in longer games. The longer I'm playing, the worse it gets. Task manager shows that Windows Explorer quickly jumps to at least 30% CPU usage, sometimes Desktop Window Manager joins in and causes high CPU as well. When I hit "Save Game", Windows takes forever to show any reaction. Sometimes, the system just goes into shock and I have to force shutdown. Also, from some point, I can't minimize / switch away from the game to the desktop or other windows without waiting forever, sometimes it causes a crash as well.

I've now deleted all files and re-installed gamesnostalgia's update from October 2020 and FoxAhead's CIV2UIA (I hoped the CPU throttle would be helpful). Started a new game, and after 2 minutes, fan started running, Windows Explorer went up to 32% again, Desktop Window Manager to 14% and Civ2.exe changes between 1-11%. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not sure what more info you might need. I run the Launcher with admin rights and compatability was preset to Win XP SP2. Civ2.exe with admin rights and compatability preset to Win XP SP3.
I assume that you turned on CPU usage fix option in Civ2UIA. If it doesn't help then just try to limit CPU usage in Windows power plan or via utilities.
https://superuser.com/questions/214566/are-there-solutions-that-can-limit-the-cpu-usage-of-a-process

Top Bottom