Advertising

Fifty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recently read an article (in print, hence no link) that discussed how advertising is designed in three different western countries.

Specifically, they said that Americans are more convinced by factual advertisements, British people are more convinced by humor (or perhaps humour), and the French are convinced to buy things via sex.

I thought that was really interesting. What do you think makes these differences?

On a lighter note, if you are from one of those three countries, what is it about your country's type of advertising that makes you want to buy?

We're bombarded by information, and so I cannot say that advertising 'really' convinces us. However, I find that advertising at least makes us aware of products.

I cannot think of the last time I bought something because I saw it on tv, or a pop-up. I still find word-of-mouth to work best.

Damn straight it's factual. I want to know what the product is and what it can do for humor. I prefer to watch sexy or humorous ads, but very seldom does that lead to a purchase.

I can't speak for all the frenchman, but i agree with that statment. They put a naked chick or almost naked for everything :mischief:

Why? I have no idea and i don't buy things because there's pretty girl.

Facts are nice and all but give me bare bodies. I buy by performance and quality but naked chicks are much less of a waste of my viewing time.

I wouldn't expect the information in an advert to be balanced or at all useful in making a rational decision - I'll have to source that information elsewhere (e.g the Consumers' Association, aka Which?). Most of the time, I'll switch the sound off during an ad break, particularly if I feel I'm being preached at. So "factual" just doesn't do it for me.

Adverts with sex would be OK, but the advertising codes of conduct in the UK are somewhat more limiting than those in France (where topless women seem to be required to sell almost anything).

So, as a UK resident, yeah, I might watch your ad if it's funny. And I won't watch it otherwise.

I noticed the difference last year when I went to Spain to spend christmas and I realized how many cologne/parfums ads are where they focus on a half naked chick or, in one particular case, the lower back (ass) of a naked man.

I though, man, you can't watch that on FOX channel, or Pat Robertson's channel.

BCLG100 said:
i try to avoid adverts as i find all of them insanely annoying.
Same here.

If an ad-break comes on the TV I'll either turn over to another channel until it's gone away or I'll just mute the sound. Better yet, I try to record any programme that I am interested in that airs on a commercial channel and watch it later and just skip the adverts.

I use firefox with its built in pop-up blocker and the plugin Adblock so I don't have to look at any advertising on the internet. If any advertising gets passed that it ticks me off so much that there's no-way that I would even be tempted to look at what they were pushing.

we Americanise appreciate good humor as much as our friends her- we just don't buy on it. The joke here in America is if someone starts talking about a funny commercial they saw we ask what was it for? and 9 times out of 10 they can't remember

ybbor said:
we americans appreciate good humor as much as our friends her- we just don't buy on it. The joke here in America is if someone starts talking about a funny commericial they saw we ask what was it for? and 9 tuimes out of 10 they can't remember

Is that what 'short attention span" stands for?

Well advertising does influence me. I recently looked for a cell phone and the only decent network in my area is Verizon. But I wouldn't try it because I hate their ads :p So I tried a different service, hated it, and now I still have no cell phone. :crazyeye:

I bet advertising influences me in other ways too, but I'm too lazy to do a serious test. Y'all will have to forgive me if I'm skeptical of your claims of immunity to advertising. What is it, 80% of drivers are better than average, according to self-report?

A lot of times, advertising works rather subconsciously. It isn't so much like "wow that was a convincing ad. That good looking person was eating that potato chip. I'm going to go buy that potato chip". It is more about name recognition and all that crap.

Ayatollah So said:
Well advertising does influence me. I recently looked for a cell phone and the only decent network in my area is Verizon. But I wouldn't try it because I hate their ads :p

I think It would be a good idea to copy down the names of all ads that send spam to my e-mail account, so I would never go an buy anything from that company. Then, I would go, publish that list on-line and ask people to contribute (with names).

That would kick spam out of e-mail accounts.

But I haven't done that, mainly for two reasons:
  • I am lazy.
  • probably somebody else has already done it.

Fifty said:
A lot of times, advertising works rather subconsciously. It isn't so much like "wow that was a convincing ad. That good looking person was eating that potato chip. I'm going to go buy that potato chip". It is more about name recognition and all that crap.
I would agree with this.

If I'm buying a tin of baked beans I'm more likely to pick a brand that I have heard of rather than one of the alternatives, but I won't rush out to buy a tin solely because I've just seen them being advertised.

This is an industry I worked in (producing commercials) and I have to say that whatever article it is you read was pretty limited, or at least just put forward the generalised state of affairs.

The simple fact is that, no matter what country you are in, different products require different buttons pushed in the consumer's mind. For example, a cleaning product ad needs to state facts more than likely (what does it clean and how?) and it needs to emblazon the image of the product in the viewer's mind so that they notice it on the supermarket shelf. As does a financial product (what's the APR?). But a soft drink or perfume advert doesn't need to do this and as a result can focus more on selling a lifestyle / set of values / a cool or sexy factor or putting out humour.

As for regional and cultural variations, well yes, there's some truth in what the article says. But it's limited. There's plenty of humour in US ads actually. Think of the IBM, Pepsi Max or Geeko Car Insurance ads that are showing on US TV at present. These are three very different products and they all state the facts if needed but are all seek to appeal from the humour approach also. They do it very well imo. In England you rarely find these products being sold on a humour tip at all. Car Insurance and computer products are typically very dull adverts in the UK.

This also takes you on to issues of the size of the company (can they afford a production company that can churn out high quality humour and photography?) and how much they are willing to spend on their advertising (it's just not a big factor for some). Typically, cleaning products don't spend much on TV ads, especially when compared to say car or drinks companies. This all counts for a lot when you find a lack of humour and / or panache.

You'll find far more revelations by looking more specifically at the way the same products are being sold in different countries. Doing so will make you realise that there isn't a great deal of variation between these western countries.

If you want to find cultural variations then look in other areas, like the movies being made, the literature being consumed, the TV shows that succeed, the radio shows that are popular, even the news (especially the 'and finally' items) and so on. Adverts, at least in the way they are being put forward in this thread, don't tell you that much actually.

Just for the record, Pot Noodle adverts here are awesome. Just search google for "Pot Noodle Horn" and watch it (I'd link, but the adverts on the page are a bit... unsavoury :p)

However, it doesn't make me want to buy Pot Noodles :p I make awesome noodles myself!

Top Bottom