Improved Nuke Mod

neepster

Chieftain
Hi all, I tried to search for this, but get a heck of a lot of extraneous results, so I am just gonna ask.

Are there any mods to CivIV that fix the incredibly underpowered and crappy nuclear weapons in it? I'm sure the designers wanted to maintain multiplayer "gameplay", but I only play against the CPU and when I nuke a city, I want it to be memorable, not just "ho hum, some of my units are damaged and the city has half it's population".

A real ICBM detonating in a real city would kill or incapacate a much larger fraction of the population and severely damage or destroy almost all units except armor, and even those units would be severely degraded.

Anyone have a mod that just does this?

Yeah, I was looking forward to dropping a bomb and I was a little disapponted. Is there a way by modding the files? Like increasing its atack power?

There's a bunch of values related to nuke damage in GlobalDefines.xml.

Incidentally, for the guy who was complaining about XML mumbo jumbo, you can just right click the file: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml

Pick Open With, then Notepad, then just edit the values shown in this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=160110&highlight=nuke

Or, you can replace your GlobalDefines.xml file with either of the two files I have here (you should probably save a copy your original GlobalDefines.xml file first in case you want to go back to it). I have only changed the nuke values, I have touched nothing else. The first file is for those who want nukes to annihilate cities and the units in them as much as possible. All values have been set to 99. The city still exists after it is nuked, but only has a population of 1, and all units in the city are destroyed.

The second file is the one I use and it is a little more realistic, with most units destroyed and the population reduced by a great deal, but not all the way. For example, I nuked Kyoto population 20 with these values. Kyoto had 15 early gunpowder units in it. All were destroyed except a badly damaged transport and the pop was reduced to 3.

NOTE: RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS, Do not just click... XML does wierd thing with browsers if you try to open XML files with browsers. Note that by accidentally doubleclicking the default GlobalDefines.xml, my IE opened, went to firaxis (I think) and then somehow auto installed Yahoo toolbar into IE. Thanks to the MS Antispyware beta thing, I was able to tell this and then remove it, but just FYI, so remember to RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS with these files.

Big Nukes:http://www.chezjones.net/GlobalDefines_nuke_big.xml

More realistic: http://www.chezjones.net/My_GlobalDefines.xml

Is it possible to convert the city to city ruins upon impact...?
I have yet to see anybody that can destroy a city with modifications to the ICBMs...?
Is it only possible to convert the cities population to 1...?
Not to say that this isn't "OP" enough as it is, but I'm curious...

Is it possible to convert the city to city ruins upon impact...?
I have yet to see anybody that can destroy a city with modifications to the ICBMs...?
Is it only possible to convert the cities population to 1...?
Not to say that this isn't "OP" enough as it is, but I'm curious...

I suppose this is very possible to modify the DLL (the C++ code part) in the part that concerns ICBM actions and call the function (IIRC) kill(), which kills the object in question.

In fact, both ideas are very implement-able, but are enough interested to dig into DLL and recompile to pursue your initial ideas.

Top Bottom