[MOD] Speed Mod

*off topic question*

Kael, as you seem to have some good understanding of the game's inner mechanics, do you have any clue why it occupies ~50% processor utilization, even if the player is not doing anything?
I am not talking about intra-turn, nor any unit movement or whatever.
Let's assume you have done all your stuff during your turn and you just haven't pressed RETURN yet. Still, the game occupies these 50%...

(3.6 GHz P4, 2 GB RAM, 2 SLI-6800 GS, RAID-0 stripe etc. etc. etc... should be fast enough for the game, and no, nothing is running in the background...)

I assume its the graphics engine doing redraws. Even during times where the engine isn't doing anything but waiting for input Civ4 is processor heavy. Unfortunatly Firaxis didnt release the source to the graphics engine (I think its 3rd party so they cant release it) or I would dig into it to see what can be done to improve it.

Is it recommended to turn off your virus protector to speed up the game a bit without any lag problems till renaissance?

Its up to you, disabling virus protection will speed up your game (wether or not it will be a measurable difference is debatable) but at the hassle of having to remember to turn it off and on.

Could someone post a late game save for me? I started a new game, huge map, 18 civs and didn't notice much of a difference during wait times.

Is this mod suppose to affect scrolling lag as well? The game still runs like a slideshow when I move around on the map with the mouse.

Could someone post a late game save for me? I started a new game, huge map, 18 civs and didn't notice much of a difference during wait times.

Is this mod suppose to affect scrolling lag as well? The game still runs like a slideshow when I move around on the map with the mouse.

No that would be the graphics engine, not much I can about that.

But yes, a late game save would be very cool. I'd love to be able to measure the time difference between speedmod and normal.

heres a fine large savegame, its a multiplayer lan game i play at the moment.
2 human players agains 2x2 AI.

Not a warlords game though...!!

It takes quite a while to load in between turns :(

*this is another hint to make a civ4 only speedmod* :D

Yeah, it needs to be a late game Speed Mod save to be valuable. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Did you alter the mod to allow for 36 civs and then update the download?

Your mod was working for me, I believe, with public maps - I think I used pantastic worlds. I downloaded your mod again and now my public maps now longer work. The game sets up, I pick a civ, it just starts to load, and then almost immediatly crashes to the desktop.

Perhaps if you could get me a link to the orginial download, I could double check the problem, and just use the original for the time being.

Anyway, excellent work. I am very much loooking forward to using this with Advanced AI in the future, and of course to seeing it be incorporated into other mods such as Total Realism and Visa.

Thanks

Did you alter the mod to allow for 36 civs and then update the download?

Your mod was working for me, I believe, with public maps - I think I used pantastic worlds. I downloaded your mod again and now my public maps now longer work. The game sets up, I pick a civ, it just starts to load, and then almost immediatly crashes to the desktop.

Perhaps if you could get me a link to the orginial download, I could double check the problem, and just use the original for the time being.

Anyway, excellent work. I am very much loooking forward to using this with Advanced AI in the future, and of course to seeing it be incorporated into other mods such as Total Realism and Visa.

Thanks

Your right, all those scenarios have the amount of players hard coded. I uploaded a new version without the ability to play with 36 players that resolves the issue.

I'm having an issue with this mod. When I capture a city I am not getting any money. I love speed but I think I love money more :lol:

Ah, thanks for the feedback. A fixed version is linked in the first post.

Wow, quick fix. I also wanted to note pillaging yields no gold either (unless you fixed it with the other one just came out of game and saw your quick response).

Edit: Also I am not seeing the updated link. When I go to the download page linked in the first post and download the file there, it is the same as the existing one I already had.

Wow, quick fix. I also wanted to note pillaging yields no gold either (unless you fixed it with the other one just came out of game and saw your quick response).

Edit: Also I am not seeing the updated link. When I go to the download page linked in the first post and download the file there, it is the same as the existing one I already had.

Yeah I fixed it at the same time. I'll check the link, Thunderfall is switching FTP servers right now and Im not sure the one Im putting it on is the same one you are pulling it from. Ill make sure its on both.

and about a civ4 only mod? This seems to be ignored... But me and my friend would really appreciate it :)

Im going to run the beta here on Warlords. Fixing problems and such. Once we get the kinks worked out I'll look at porting it to vanilla (I dont want to have to port fixes to both platforms). So I still plan on foinf this, but it probably wont happen in the next 30 days.

Kael i always play with Better AI on Warlords.Is Speedmod compatible with BetterAI or i have to choose between BetterAI and SpeedMod?
Thanks for your new great mod!

isnt vanilla a game alteraltering mod? we like the game as it is...

"Vanilla" just means base Civ4 without any changes (no mods, no warlords, etC).

Kael i always play with Better AI on Warlords.Is Speedmod compatible with BetterAI or i have to choose between BetterAI and SpeedMod?
Thanks for your new great mod!

Gotta choose, the BetterAi guys are welcome to integrate SpeedMod in their mod if they want (the source is linked). But I won't be merging BetterAi into Speed Mod.

Top Bottom