[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

:sad: A most excellent looking MOD. I wish I could get it to run so that I could enjoy all of your hard work. When I load the MOD I get a couple of Load Errors both stating: "CFG Error, failed to initialize the primary control theme." This is a new one for me, I have no idea what to look at to get this to run.:cry: Anyone seen this before or have a solution to this problem?

As far as i could play without an interface, the mod looks very interesting! (just installed 0.3)

But (as i said before...), can't get the interface.

Due to the CTDs I haven't played this mod much, but I've been keeping an eye on it to see if there's anything I can steal...ahem...I mean...I guess it sounds like I'll get the latest and give it another try. But regarding the terraforming discussion,

Still the CtDs :(.

Is there anyone, who has played a longer time without CtDs with the current version?

Just have one particular terrain be replaced by coast, no need for a new terrain type. It only takes a small height difference for water to flow down, so it will be perfectly believable, and once it becomes a part of the game mileaux everybody just understands that Ice terrain, for example, will melt and become water.

In the eden part of CvEventManager you have
Code:
if ( pPlot.getTeam()==pTID and not pPlot.isCity()):
	if ( pPlot.isPeak()==true  ):
		pPlot.setPlotType(PlotTypes.PLOT_LAND, True, True)
	elif ( pPlot.isHills()==true  ):
	else :
	             pPlot.setTerrainType(gc.getInfoTypeForString( "TERRAIN_COAST" ), 1, 1)

and instead could have
Code:
if ( pPlot.getTeam()==pTID and not pPlot.isCity()):
	if ( pPlot.isPeak()==true  ):
		pPlot.setPlotType(PlotTypes.PLOT_HILLS, True, True)
	elif ( pPlot.isHills()==true  ):
	elif ( pPlot.getTerrainType()==tt_snow ):
		pPlot.setTerrainType(gc.getInfoTypeForString( "TERRAIN_COAST" ), 1, 1)

I think.

Mmmh, interesting.
You suggest, that only snow will turn into water?
Is logical, and would prevent some errors.
But it would make the other terrain more useless, because the terrain output is not high, and no chance for becoming water.
But a nice idea :).

:sad: A most excellent looking MOD. I wish I could get it to run so that I could enjoy all of your hard work. When I load the MOD I get a couple of Load Errors both stating: "CFG Error, failed to initialize the primary control theme." This is a new one for me, I have no idea what to look at to get this to run.:cry: Anyone seen this before or have a solution to this problem?

As far as i could play without an interface, the mod looks very interesting! (just installed 0.3)

But (as i said before...), can't get the interface.

:crazyeye: this error should not happen with this version.

Again the question: Do you both play with an other version than the regular DVD?
Version from Steam, or CivComplete?

Are you running vista on your pcs?

Is logical, and would prevent some errors.
But it would make the other terrain more useless, because the terrain output is not high, and no chance for becoming water.

Yeah, the ice was a higher land surface, melted to create the water and leave the surface lower but now filled with water. Also glaciers depress the land beneath and the lowest areas on mars are polar. To deal with other terrain, maybe have a feature that grows to improve it. Vegetation of some kind (the partial pressure of CO2 on Mars is comparable to that on Earth, and if the plants were acid tolerant and water melted by say a 50 degree temperature increase, adapted plants are completely plausible). It could be rare initially yet have a high growth rate or you could even have the Eden project place it. And it increases yield.

Art may exist for it, maybe in Planetfall, but you'll probably want something original eventually.

:crazyeye: this error should not happen with this version.

Again the question: Do you both play with an other version than the regular DVD?
Version from Steam, or CivComplete?

Are you running vista on your pcs?

I play it with the original BTS dvd (civ4 and civBTS installed), running XP sp3.
I had no problems with any other mods before...

Don't wanna sound stupid, but what are Steam and CivCimplete?

Thanks for the offer :).

But it doesn't seem to be a problem with the PlotLSystem.xml, and the errors i get because of that file, are minor things.

Ah, okay. Good to hear PlotLSystem isn't your main problem. It can be a real pain to tinker in that file. :crazyeye:

Yeah, the ice was a higher land surface, melted to create the water and leave the surface lower but now filled with water. Also glaciers depress the land beneath and the lowest areas on mars are polar. To deal with other terrain, maybe have a feature that grows to improve it. Vegetation of some kind (the partial pressure of CO2 on Mars is comparable to that on Earth, and if the plants were acid tolerant and water melted by say a 50 degree temperature increase, adapted plants are completely plausible). It could be rare initially yet have a high growth rate or you could even have the Eden project place it. And it increases yield.

Art may exist for it, maybe in Planetfall, but you'll probably want something original eventually.

Sounds, like you've looked closer to the growth of planetfall's phungus/FfH2's hellterrain ;).
This feature would sure do, what you're thinking of, but this is atm behind my abilities :(.

I play it with the original BTS dvd (civ4 and civBTS installed), running XP sp3.
I had no problems with any other mods before...

No warlords? mmh, but this shouldn't be the problem.

I can't really think, what could be the problem.

It would help, if you could open your civ4config.ini (there's a link in the BtS folder), and change

PHP:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

[...]

; Create a dump file if the application crashes
GenerateCrashDumps = 0

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

[...]

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 0

all the 0 to 1, and the 1 to 0.
This will show you most of the errors when loading a mod, it also creates a log-folder inside of your MyDocuments\MyGames\BtS folder.
Please say, what errors appear, and please .zip your whole log folder and attach it here.

Don't wanna sound stupid, but what are Steam and CivCimplete?

Steam is a online shop, where you can buy games (also civ), and civComplete is a special version with vanilla and the 2 addons on one DVD.
Both can cause problems, but it shouldn't happen with the current version.

Ah, okay. Good to hear PlotLSystem isn't your main problem. It can be a real pain to tinker in that file. :crazyeye:

After the problems here, i'm not more sure, what's the core problem :(.
I'll maybe have to PM you, when i'm back at my pc.

And i know, what you're saying, editing this file is hell.

Actually, as soon as I pointed at a Sand Storm I got another CTD (which didn't happen with v. 0.2).

Every storm? In every round?

This feature would sure do, what you're thinking of, but this is atm behind my abilities :(.
Doesn't take anything fancy. I could do it with XML. As a matter of fact I'll come back and attach it here later.

I like these sort of mods and I apologize in advance, should anyone else have pointed out my findings before.

What I have noticed from playing the current version of the mod is, that I get CTDs as soon as I encounter
- Kufi Anana
- Mehmed Ibu Farud
- Ranja Tata

and the first choices for the leaders of
- Korea
- People's Rep. of China
- Russian Federation.

My guess is, that this is related to the rendering of these leaders' heads, as I even CTD in the beginning's civilization-choosing menu as soon as I try to click any of these leaders (and am supposed to get that leaderhead rendered), thus I don't know, if the alternate leaders of Korea, China and Russia have the same issues because I never got to see them in the first place. This problem has been around eversince I picked up this mod (V.02 C), if that is of any help for you to determine the causes of that CTD.
It also could be just my not-so-new system, as some of these custom leader heads work fine, even though one of their eyeballs usually becomes rather dislocated and floats about.

But once I create a game without any of these CTD-leaders, the game runs otherwise fine, except for a CTD in later stages of the game (after having researched several technologies which cost over 1000 in research) which I have yet to determine and haven't encountered often enough to make guesses.

I have also noticed a helpful exploit to get more colonists than there is oxygen/water/ice available. Simply refrain from founding any more new cities until you have produced the number of colonists you need because only the production of colonists becomes impossible when hitting the resource limit, not the founding of new cities.

Errr... no. I pointed the cursor for a scouting unit on a Sand Storm => CTD. (As said, didn't happen with the previous version.)

:confused: strange.
No idea, why this could happen.

I like these sort of mods and I apologize in advance, should anyone else have pointed out my findings before.

What I have noticed from playing the current version of the mod is, that I get CTDs as soon as I encounter
- Kufi Anana
- Mehmed Ibu Farud
- Ranja Tata

- Korea
- People's Rep. of China
- Russian Federation.

Interesting observation.
This would explain, why some games are stable and some not, because all other art is in every game present, only the leaderheads can change.

A big thanks for reporting this, i'll check it out this week.

erm...Korea has only one leader, do you think of Japan?

I have also noticed a helpful exploit to get more colonists than there is oxygen/water/ice available. Simply refrain from founding any more new cities until you have produced the number of colonists you need because only the production of colonists becomes impossible when hitting the resource limit, not the founding of new cities.

...:D, oh, i'll have to change that.

Here's what I did to add a feature called MarsGrass, looks like Planetfall kelp, appears here and there initially but it grows faster than it dies so it will eventually cover everything like Kudzu. Adds 1 to food in the tile.

Attachments

• Marsjetzt-v02.zip
    201 KB · Views: 90
I want to note: in middle- and late-game its needed 1-2 turns to discover new technology. Simply do not have time to build new structures. Maybe it`s not bug, but feature... well, it`s odd then.

Patch A
Will NOT break savegames
Bugfix:
- Fixed the last bug with disappearing buildings, really big, big, big thanks to EmperorFool

Balancing:
- Terraforming quote is a big higher now
- Changed the "spread" of water resources a bit

Additional:
- New model for oxygen by [VK] and The_Coyote

Only a small patch, but i wanted to get rid of that bug.

- Kufi Anana
- Mehmed Ibu Farud
- Ranja Tata

- Korea
- People's Rep. of China
- Russian Federation.

Okay, had a game with 4 of the "bad guys" today, and had only 2 crashes in 180 rounds -> can't confirm that.
Would be nice, if someone else could start an "experiment" without these leaders.

Here's what I did to add a feature called MarsGrass, looks like Planetfall kelp, appears here and there initially but it grows faster than it dies so it will eventually cover everything like Kudzu. Adds 1 to food in the tile.

Nice, i'll have a look at it :).
But i can't use the kelp, i'm already using it for the "primitive sea animals" resource.

I want to note: in middle- and late-game its needed 1-2 turns to discover new technology. Simply do not have time to build new structures. Maybe it`s not bug, but feature... well, it`s odd then.

No, that's not intended, it's just not balanced.
A savegame would be nice :), so that i can take a look at the circumstances.

But i can't use the kelp, i'm already using it for the "primitive sea animals" resource.
Then it should be the Sea Fungus, which is more art files (why I didbn't use if for the example) and you'de have to raise the Z axiis as with the WarpLanes. Maybe it could be called Manna Lichen? Also you want me to put a change to the Terraforming project in there?

Hello there,

I just installed the Mod for the 1st time. Looks very promising to me. I used to play FFH2, so I know how to install all this. Nevertheless the game is unplayable, it crashes more than it runs, often before Round 1 has ended. I read of many crashes in the past.

I use CivComplete.

Do u want me to post any savegames, logs or anything? If so please let me know what and how..

My System:

MSI K9N Neo V3
AMD Athlon 64 5000 BE
ATI Radeon 4670
Sound onboard
MS Vista 32bit
all the latest drivers of course...

Please continue this Mod :)

Then it should be the Sea Fungus, which is more art files (why I didbn't use if for the example) and you'de have to raise the Z axiis as with the WarpLanes. Maybe it could be called Manna Lichen?

Is maybe an idea.

Sorry, had no time to look at your files :blush:.

Also you want me to put a change to the Terraforming project in there?

Of what do you think?

If i add your system, i thought of an initial spread of the new feature through the project.

Hello there,

I just installed the Mod for the 1st time. Looks very promising to me. I used to play FFH2, so I know how to install all this. Nevertheless the game is unplayable, it crashes more than it runs, often before Round 1 has ended. I read of many crashes in the past.

I use CivComplete.

Are you talking about v02 or the current v03?

CivComplete shouldn't have an influence on the stability.

Do u want me to post any savegames, logs or anything? If so please let me know what and how..

Savegame: In the past, a savegame didn't show anything, because i couldn't reproduce the crashes, but i'll give it a try -> if you have one, attach it.

Logs: I described here, how to activate them, and where you can find it.
Would be nice, if you could do it.

But i fear, that it will not show anything :(.

Please continue this Mod :)

I will continue :).

Ok, before crash occured, I played 2 or 3 rounds as solo player. So here the logs, hope it helps somehow..

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    67.2 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom