CFC TG1: Calling All Settler, Chieftain, and Warlord Players

I would like to join too if possible. I can probably beat a prince level game but only through domination and not as easily as I should be able. Civ 5 is my first civ game and I've only been playing for a month or so.

I'm not a pro at 5 or 4, but I'm pretty comfy on King so I don't qualify for this. Still, it's an extremely good idea and a rare injection of purely positive energy on this forum.

I know, kind of refreshing, isn't it?

If more of us did this kind of thing and spent time helping other players instead of attacking them, a lot of the negativity would disappear.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this game goes! Methos, I assume you'll post a new thread in the SG sub-forum once this gets rolling?

I'd really like to join this

I can join.

Welcome to the game!

I would like to join too if possible.

Sorry, but I've found that Succession Games that have more then six players tend to cause players to lose interest and not participate, so I'm stopping at six. If others request to join, then I see no reason why a second game can't be started.

Methos, I assume you'll post a new thread in the SG sub-forum once this gets rolling?

I'll probably just move this thread over to the SG forums. It makes it easier, since those who use thread subscriptions will already be subscribed. I'll leave a redirect link up for a day or so, for those who are not subscribed.

I'll roll a start within the next two hours.

Edit: I will rename the thread though. Probably to CFC TG 1, or something like that.

After further thought, I decided to go with Rome as our civ. Greece has a UU that replaces the Horsemen, so I'd rather not make it even easier. I also like the Classical UUs as they could possibly be still available for attacking other continents.

Game Settings:

Information on Rome:

Our Starting Location:

Early Goals: It's been my experience that one of the biggest problems for new players is warmongering. I've found the early AI tend to be unprepared for war, so I typically aim for Horseback Riding first and take over my closest desireable civ as soon as I have one archer and at least two horses, though I tend to go with three horses. I'm thinking that we should make our first goal to take over one of our neighbors.

What I Expect From the Players: At this point I would like to hear discussion on the game. Don't play the save yet, but let's discuss our options and any specific goals that you have, or desire. Note, if you're unsure what to do when its your turnset, then stop, save the game, take some screenshots, and post in the thread asking for help. This game is all about learning how to get better at Civ V, so don't just stumble through your turnset. We're here to help.

Here's the 4000 BC starting save for anyone who is interested. Remember, please don't play ahead. It loses the fun if someone plays ahead on the save and then knows where all the resources/civs/etc. are. The plan is to play in turns. I play ten turns, upload it and then Centerfinger plays the next ten turns and so on through the roster until it gets back to me.

The typical rule is you have 24 hours to claim the save and then 48 hours from your claim to play it. If for some reason you can't play during that time, feel free to ask for a skip or swap with the next player. Life can get in the way, so I understand.

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you don't want to ask them here, feel free to PM me. I don't mind.

Note to Lurkers: Even though you're lurkers, please follow SG rules. Don't play ahead if you intend to participate in the game. Yes, I said participate. This is a learning game, so I look forward to help from our lurkers. For those who don't know, the vb code for lurkers is [delurk][/delurk]. For instance...

lurker's comment: Great game guys!

Current Roster:
  • Methos - Up!
  • Centerfinger - On Deck
  • Aldor
  • Sindri Pink
  • shanodin
  • eris

Edit: Adding CFC TG1 before thread title and moving it to the SG forums.

Not too great of a start (lot of desert close), but I like those plains river wheats as they shave off a few turns on the initial units. I'd say scout as first build, then worker. No point yet building another warror until we actually have something to defend :)

I think its always a good idea to research animal hubandry first...for showing horses on the map so you can plan ahead, and as its a pre-requisite to horseback riding. Next tech should be pottery however, so we can have fishing and calendar once the worker is ready.

I'd suggest exploring along the cost to the north east with the warrior, the scout can then take the opposite direction. Lets hope for some goodies nearby :)

all right, here we go.

Questions:

Do we set a victory goal now or later on down the road?

I believe it is f12 for a screen shot, but I'm not sure where they get stored, can we get a bit of know how to best handle screens, resolutions, etc.?

Ok, my thoughts based off of your want to get horsemen is we need to find horses. We can have the warrior do some prelim scouting. If the warrior gets a better view from hills, I think we should send him 2 spaces to the north east. Again, I'm not positive that we get a better view from a hill top. It also looks like the north / north east is a desert expansion. In my limited experience the deserts don't hold a ton of value.

I usually plop the settler down immediately, but I'm not sure that would be beneficial with this starting location. There is food and a river which is good but there is not much production. The incense resource is really close which will give us early happiness and gold. I think I would settle on the wheat tile or the tile next to the incense to gain the production value of the surrounding hills. That mountain could gain us a bit of defensive posturing, but we also lose a value tile from it.

What is everyones weakness? We should aim for what seems to be the most difficult for the majority.

I believe it is f12 for a screen shot, but I'm not sure where they get stored, can we get a bit of know how to best handle screens, resolutions, etc.?

I use a Mac, so I'm not sure what is used on a PC. If any of the rest of you use a Mac, it's fn-shift-F11.

I have my own FTP server, so that's what I use. For those who don't, I'd suggest either using the 'Attachments' function on CFC, or some sort of free image sharing site (image shack I believe is one often used in SGs). Then just wrap the image link in [img][/img] tags.

Questions:

Screenshots are done with PrintScreen (right next to F12 usually). They're stored (usually) in c:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Files\My Games\Sid Meiers Civ 5\Screenshots (or similar path). Screenshots are taken in .tga format so you'll probably need a converter tool to view and save them...I take Irfanview for that but would be interested what others here use? The screenshots also have black spots on them sometimes, which I think is a problem with my graphics card. Not sure.

As for victory condition...I'd say lets check our surroundings first. We may end up isolated or something, which will certainly change our plans :)

Kibitzers Comment:

F12 is quicksave or load. Print Screen will take a screen shot in Windows. It goes into

Screenshots folder in your Civ5 directory all under User/My Doc../My Games.

With farms the wheat and floodplains combined with our CC (city center) will earn us an excess +4 :food:. Add in a lighthouse and that's an excess of +6 :food:. With Civil Service that's an excess of +8 :food:. This should be a fairly great production city. Its also nice having two lux resources nearby ( +10 :) ).

Not too great of a start (lot of desert close), but I like those plains river wheats as they shave off a few turns on the initial units.
lurker's comment:
Actually, the start is pretty decent. That desert is hills, and in Civ V hills are hills, no matter what the underlying terrain is. The most important part of a start, is that you have some sort of bonus resource to work the first turns while growing culture. Apart from that, rivers are a bigger bonus then most resources, so it should prove to be a good enough start. The only issue is that the terrain seems a bit arid for horses.

Screenshots are done with PrintScreen (right next to F12 usually). They're stored (usually) in c:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Files\My Games\Sid Meiers Civ 5\Screenshots (or similar path). Screenshots are taken in .tga format so you'll probably need a converter tool to view and save them...I take Irfanview for that but would be interested what others here use? The screenshots also have black spots on them sometimes, which I think is a problem with my graphics card. Not sure.

Personally, I like using Gadwin's PrintScreen app to take screenies with :)

@Methos: Even more important then the food, is the 7 hills you can work :) Food is usually easy to come by, hammers are a lot harder. Maybe teach them to abuse maritime citystates?

PS: Very good initiative this, will be lurking it :)

I PM'ed all the players informing them that the game has started, expect for Shanodin, who appears to have PMs turned off.

:confused: I have no idea why, I'll have to have a scurry around the settings to change the PM ones.

I like the lots of hills and the coast - I like to explore early when possible in order to get in contact with city states and other civs asap. In this situation I'd probably hit pottery first and build a worker then a scout, since the nearby tiles don't need too many techs to improve them, and the warrior can explore while the scout is a WIP (work in progress). That'd be my first few decisions. Though I think that my early game needs a fair bit of polishing :blush:

You don't have PM access yet. You have to have been a member for five days and have at least five posts, so you'll get them shortly.

I'll wait until at least tonight before stating what I would do, so that the other players have a chance to state their thoughts.

Tarkeel said:
@Methos: Even more important then the food, is the 7 hills you can work Food is usually easy to come by, hammers are a lot harder. Maybe teach them to abuse maritime citystates?

Methos said:
I purposely mentioned only the food, as I was hoping they would come to that conclusion on their own.

I think I would settle on the wheat tile or the tile next to the incense to gain the production value of the surrounding hills.

I said I think it would better to snuggle in on those hills.

I vote for Pottery 1st as well to try and get to stonehenge quickly

lurker's comment: Well, given that I have yet to beat a king level game, I'll throw out my two cents.

Spoiler LURKER'S 2 CENTS :
The location looks decent. I like more green in my starting locations normally, but as someone else pointed out there are lots of hills and plains. Pretty much every hex will give some production which should help with building everything.

Both of the happiness resources are calendar based, which makes the early tech path simpler. If you want horsies early (which your post mentions you do), then animal husbandry is probably the first stop followed by pottery and then calendar. I suspect this is one of the choices that I am making wrong. Bee-lining to horseback riding may be a better tactic and then coming back for pottery and calendar.

I've been bouncing back and forth on the scout versus warrior initial build. Right now I'm leaning more toward the warrior build because scouts can't get upgraded unless you luck up with a ruin-promotion.

Based on your strategem of early conquest, build plan would likely be Warrior-Worker-Warrior-Settler-Horseman-Horseman(2nd City)-Horseman. This would be adjusted by how research and goody huts helped (or hurt) the timing.

Of course, as I mentioned above, I have yet to win a King level game. Obviously I am not doing something correctly.

Top Bottom