When do you build Shrines?

scout/scout/warrior/monument or shrine/purchase worker.

But I play on big maps with lots of enemies, so going for religion only makes sense if you have some bonus (stele or whatever).

Religion isn't important unless you plan to get a vicotry other than conquest. Using faith to buy great people is hard to pass up on in the late game. Also, get stonehange, it's nice, most AI civs tend to go for Temple of Artemis and Statue of Zeus early rather than henge.

FWIW, I've been dropping my second city much earlier than I did before G&K. Happiness is much more manageable and the second Shrine gets me the Pantheon sooner. I usually save my 3rd city until I get IW. It's still early days, but it looks like the old four city limit for a Cultural victory may go up by one city for me.

EDIT: At King and above the AI starts with Pottery. That gives them a big leg up in building Shrines. I've yet to do better than fourth in the pantheon race in any game at King or above.

I've noticed that when I played the Mayans (twice) and Byzantines, one of the religious natural wonders was readily available. Playing G&K on emperor (down from immortal with the occasional deity foray on vanilla) I've always been first or second to religion with one of the religion-focused civs, and I still do well with non-religious civs as well as long as I prioritize Stonehenge. Shrines mean little to nothing unless I'm going for piety or somehow miss out on SH.

I've been teching to Pottery first about 90% of the time now because of shrines. I usually go Scout >> Monument >> Shrine >> Worker.

I've also been grabbing Tradition a lot lately, early (free!) aqueducts is a very powerful bonus that I find hard to pass up, especially now that the free settler from Liberty doesn't come as early.

This is slightly off topic, but I want to start a game where The Celts are settled next to 3 forests and have a couple stone and maybe a marble in range so I could pick Stone Circles. That would rock!

Reminds me of a pre-G&K game where my capital had one marble and 4 stone within 3 tiles... needless to say I raced directly towards Mausoleum!

Me the order is Monument-Shrine-Worker-Settler( Depending on terrain)if not then warrior-and then settler

City 1: Scout-part of monument-shrine-finish monument-archer, settler, or Stonehenge.

Cities 2 and 3: Shrine-Archer-Monument

right after monument. Faith is a must have resource that fits neatly between cultures and sciences.

My build usually scout->monument->shrine->great library

In most cases i just rush a shrine and hope i find a religious CS.

Religion isn't important unless you plan to get a vicotry other than conquest. Using faith to buy great people is hard to pass up on in the late game. Also, get stonehange, it's nice, most AI civs tend to go for Temple of Artemis and Statue of Zeus early rather than henge.

I think it makes a lot of difference when you have the Ancient Wonders DLC. The AI will almost always build Temple of Artemis as the first wonder in the game.

Today messing around with Byzantium on emperor, I never built a single shrine, nor did I get faith from a hut and met no religious city states.

I worked for great library, took liberty policies and sold a luxury to a friendly AI for 345g. With the gold I bought 1 shine in capitol, and got my pantheon "kind of late", but I was still able to pick oral tradition, which with my wine and citrus and liberty culture was enough to speed along the policy track. I then used the free tech from great library to beeline theology, and the great engineer from completing liberty to rush-build hagia sophia, which netted me a great prophet.

So, I was the first to found religion. My christian itinerant preachers and cataphracts proceeded to dominate the known world...

Scout -> Monument (unfinished) -> Shrine -> Finish Monument -> Worker (unfinished)-> GL/Stonehenge/Library -> Finish worker -> Archer -> Varies

I rush my shrine. I need to pantheon rush or I won't get a religion. I need that early economic boost. Waiting for someone to convert me is too late and I'll be miles behind.

Policy is liberty and dive for free settler + purchase settler. 3 city and gogo. My 4th city is usually after 100 turns. And all my new cities start with building shrines.

I race for top 4 in pantheons, and top 3 founding religions, and #1 enhanced religion.

Scout -> Monument (unfinished) -> Shrine -> Finish Monument -> Worker (unfinished)-> GL/Stonehenge/Library -> Finish worker -> Archer -> Varies

I rush my shrine. I need to pantheon rush or I won't get a religion. I need that early economic boost. Waiting for someone to convert me is too late and I'll be miles behind.

Policy is liberty and dive for free settler + purchase settler. 3 city and gogo. My 4th city is usually after 100 turns. And all my new cities start with building shrines.

I race for top 4 in pantheons, and top 3 founding religions, and #1 enhanced religion.

That's like a carbon copy of my set up :eek:. Get out of my mind :cry:

Usually you will have access to 250 gp by the time you are done researching pottery (like say 120gp in your treasury and +7 gpt per turn that you can use to borrow for the rest). Rush buy the shrine for early religion.

EDIT - especially if you already have 4 or 8 faith from meeting one or more religious city states and getting the small instant faith bonus.

Top Bottom