Which are the strongest civs in Into the Reinassance and why?

I really enjoy Austria, the ability to gobble out the city-states extremely helpful in this scenario. Within the first 15 turns I married into the Vatican. I went down the Patronage path and I am friends or allies with every city-state, meaning that I always win the Holy Roman Emperor election

The Almohads are really easy, because you don't have to worry about any civs attacking you early on or taking any of your territory. You have a huge amount of space to yourself in the historical map. Hell, your biggest threat in the scenario are barbarians (who will attack you ENDLESSLY). All I did was go Honor, slaughter barbarians while building a few cities, ally with Mecca and then invade Spain (who was incredibly weak) and then watch the VPs roll in as I sacked city after city. Throw in 4 caravel trips and a Holy Roman Empire vote win and you have an easy win by like 2k+ Victory Points (could've been more but I got lazy and sat around the last 80 turns basically so the game could end sooner). Oh, and the Bazaar is so unfair to have. Either sell all your excess luxuries for cash and bribe everyone you can, or give them away for free so all the non-Islamists don't completely hate you (I managed to maintain "friendly" status with other civs doing this).

Spain is pretty easy as well. You get points for caravels and also bonus points for sending conquistadors to the New World. The rest of the game is like BobDole said, only in reverse. Invade the Almohads and watch the points roll in.

Of course, there is no achievement for winning as Spain, but it is a fun game none the less.

Simply put: You need an (at least partly) easily accessable enemy with a different religion - that's the easiest way to get victory points.

Holy cities are basically worthless compared to sacking cities with a foreign religion - the Vote is decent, if you manage to get it every time.

Legroom is always good, but you will need to warmonger quite a bit, so don't get too city spammy or you might get into happyness issues - and legroom in this scenario seems to come with tons of fast respawning barb camps, at least this was the case when I played as Salahadin. :rolleyes:

Based on this (having played only Salahadin yet), I would say that the Ottomans, Spain and the Almohads are pretty good (you can concentrate on your "holy war" early and reek the victory points).

1. Austria
1A. Diplomatic Marriage (lots of AI's focus on CS; lets you grab Vatican City early on; lets you expand across the gigantic map very quickly).
1B. Central proximity gives you access to lots of conquest targets of different religions: Byzantium, Russia if you want, France if it goes Protestant. You can also play in the Mediterranean if you really want.

2. Almohads
2A. Proximity to Spain (and maybe France) as your conquest targets
2B. Strong corner position with no obvious AI threats
2C. Easy access to the West coast (for Caravans) and being able to lock the Straits of Gibralter
2D. Distance and Bazaar allow lots of trading opportunities

Spain isn't bad, but you are sandwiched between the Almohads and France. The Turks can be fun (prize ships is really great to keep up with the tech race) but you lack access to the Atlantic and you constantly have to worry about Saladin carving you up.

Saladin and Sweden have fairly defensible positions but poor choices of conquest targets.

France, the Netherlands, and Byzantium are surrounded on multiple fronts (though at least Byzantium can get points for conquest in any direction).

England and the Celts have it rough since they are stuck in a corner, have little room to expand, and have poor choice of war targets.

Russia can be one of the hardest if you aren't prepared for the Mongolian horde.

I've tried this scenario a few times.

England: The constant war with the Celts was... well it dragged out. The bad terrain, how hard cities are to take now. It was a real slog to kill his 2 cities (captured a settler as it was running to Wales) I just couldn't keep up in points despite being allied to Vatican because I couldn't successfully gain a beach-head on the continent. Next time I'd send a settler down to Gibraltar very early and see if I can pip off Spain. Capturing points of different religions was hard. But the caravel points were a bonus.

Austria: It's counter intuitive to use their ability to the full here. You want to keep happy, you want those votes for the HRE. Marry a few states in key places, build up a core, marry Vatican and keep it well defended. I had a lot of wars with France which also ground to a standstill (mainly because I kept putting off building siege units) If I had pushed west instead of East I'm sure I could have gobbled up a few Orthodox cities.

Russia: Man this was hard. I lost a lot of cities early on, and the remote location is NOT negated by their UA. It was hard. But I'm sure I could have steam rolled europe if I wan't constantly holding others at bay.

That never occured to me before. How's that work exactly? Entice the pope out of his vow of celibacy? :lol:

I'm sure it could work. Hell, Vatican City wanted me to convert them to Islam. That might be even worse.

The Almohads are really easy, because you don't have to worry about any civs attacking you early on or taking any of your territory. You have a huge amount of space to yourself in the historical map. Hell, your biggest threat in the scenario are barbarians (who will attack you ENDLESSLY). All I did was go Honor, slaughter barbarians while building a few cities, ally with Mecca and then invade Spain (who was incredibly weak) and then watch the VPs roll in as I sacked city after city. Throw in 4 caravel trips and a Holy Roman Empire vote win and you have an easy win by like 2k+ Victory Points (could've been more but I got lazy and sat around the last 80 turns basically so the game could end sooner). Oh, and the Bazaar is so unfair to have. Either sell all your excess luxuries for cash and bribe everyone you can, or give them away for free so all the non-Islamists don't completely hate you (I managed to maintain "friendly" status with other civs doing this).

On what difficulty? I am having a hard time ... (immortal), but this seems to be a general case of "I can not take cities with classical/medival units"-problem.

Top Bottom