Starbound

I'm kind of annoyed right now, though, because the location where I've built my base has been hit by so many meteors, all of which destroy quite a bit of stuff.

Right now, you might as well move to another planet where there aren't any meteors.

I'm sort of waiting on the final character/universe wipe to start playing again. Should come in the next days. I'm at the point where the only thing I feel like doing would be to build a base, but I'm rather put off by the idea of putting time into this just to get it wiped.

you can also build a dome made of dirt above your base. at least until it's time to move.

How do the Starbound wipes work? Do they destroy absolutely everything?

I don't want to lose my character.

Seems to me like Terraria in space. I've seen a couple of let's plays on YouTube, but been kind of hesitant to buy it.

I don't want to lose my character.

Then you shouldn't have played at this point. They've said multiple times that wipes were part of the beta, it even says so in the game's launcher. They kept asking people to not get attached to their stuff, and that they should wait 'til stage 2 of the beta to get in the game if they didn't like the prospect of losing stuff. I still think it could have been made even clearer within the game itself, but I'm not sure that'd have stopped many people from playing.

So... Yes, you will, most likely, lose everything, but it should be the last time it happens.

Then you shouldn't have played at this point. They've said multiple times that wipes were part of the beta, it even says so in the game's launcher. They kept asking people to not get attached to their stuff, and that they should wait 'til stage 2 of the beta to get in the game if they didn't like the prospect of losing stuff. I still think it could have been made even clearer within the game itself, but I'm not sure that'd have stopped many people from playing.

So... Yes, you will, most likely, lose everything, but it should be the last time it happens.

Heh, that's what happens. It's more annoying that I've actually used it as procrastination during my exams. Now my idiocy seems all the more idiotic :p

Btw though, I don't see the launcher when launching. Playing from Linux, that might be the case. I just encountered the news of the beta wipe recently.

There has already been one wipe, plus another wipe that deleted everything not on your character himself (all ships and planets and chests and everything wiped, but you kept your inventory). I doubt the next wipe won't be a complete one though just because it'll be the massive one that finally makes patches smaller (it seems to solidify the build as the framework from which the game will grow from now on).

I've pretty much stopped playing until the final wipe for now. I thought it'd come sooner, but now they're back with announcing things coming with no commitment and vague dates "uuhh... at some points... in the coming.. weeks... I guess".

I've been playing this a lot. It's pretty rad and I've been sort of making a mini-Seattle on a planet complete with Space Needle.

I've been playing this a lot. It's pretty rad and I've been sort of making a mini-Seattle on a planet complete with Space Needle.

That's pretty cool. I'll have to check this game out again. It really hasn't clicked with me in the past though.

Still waiting for them to stop wiping worlds and to add more features. I'm glad I got to played when it came out, but I don't think it's reached the point where it has much long-lasting appeal yet. I did play it around 50-60 hours, so not bad for a 15$ game. Right now, it feels hollow after a while, with the super linear gear progression and the planets all feel kind of feel the same after a while, plus digging underground is quite underwhelming. Good things are to come for the game I think... But it's the early access curse... Play the game when it's not as fulfilling as it's going to be later... that is... once you have lost interest in the game because there are a gazillion other new games around... Or wait to play it until it's fully realized... that is... at a point later in the future where the game has become a bit irrelevant because, again, there are many new shinies.

They did the last character wipe I think, but world wipes are still on the table.

Yeah, that's how it is. Personally I don't know why people were super excited about character wipes being over... It's much easier to put all your stuff in a planet and get your character wiped, than to try to stash everything in your ship in case of a world wipe (not to mention lose all cool constructions you've done on planets). I was waiting for the end of wipes to start investing more time in building stuff on planets... So the end of character wipes was kind of a minor thing for me.

could be worse: you could be waiting for Godus updates.

Top Bottom