Virtual Reality now!

Yeh. luckily i didnt spent a single € on OR yet, but some people did, at the succesful kickstarter campaign, or buying the development kit, or working freely on applications for the Rift...

So, after so many promises about OR being an open project, after all those pretended values that made OR different, etc, etc... this is basically the message Palmer (OR CEO) sent yesterday to all his inconditional backers, the people who made OR possible since the beggining:

It seems Oculus founder Palmer Luckey (he is not the CEO as i posted above) and other Oculus people plus his families are receiving lots of death threats and menacing phone calls from some angry nerds.

:scared:

At this point, I think there might just be a group of people/"trolls" who just like sending death threats to people, in addition to it being a surprisingly common human reaction to bad news.

Here we are after a whole year and everything points to the worse fears coming true, i mean, the general felling is Oculus is focusing more and more on the movile market and other applications instead of pure PC games, and frankly i have not any interest on visiting my Facebook page or playing Candy Crush in the Rift (or in any other way).

Fortunately Valve came to the rescue and has developed its own VR thingy, called VIVE, which seems very superior to anything Oculus has developed till now, including prototypes:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...vive-opens-up-the-virtual-reality-experience/

Also Samsung is working in his own headset, so it seems competition is going to be hard in the VR market, which may be a good thing for us all.

In others news, Facebook is hiring about 1200 new employes for his VR division, which indicates that it is preparing for an inminet massive launch most probably as soon as this year.

So is 2015 going to be the year of the dawn of VR? Possibly, in any case these are exciting days for us technology enthusiasts.

It's only an expression obviously, but for now Vive looks more promissing than OR´s Crescent Bay prototype, particullarly the Lighthouse system.

I tried the Oculus Rift at a community tech event last summer/early fall. It was the Dev Kit 1, and I found it somewhat underwhelming. I've read that for about half of people, it did not have sufficiently high resolution to feel immersive, and I fell on the not-immersive side of that rift (pun intended). To me, the screen-door effect was far too noticeable for it to be immersive, and it felt like I was playing an old game with low-res graphics. To be fair, one of the demos did have some kind of neat 3D effects with snowflakes and cobwebs, but on the whole it didn't make the impact I expected.

I could see how for some people there might be nausea issues. While I didn't have any in the short time I experienced it, I did have a feeling afterwards like I'd just stepped off a boat. Which, when you multiple it by a few and add more fast action-packed sequences, could be heading straight towards seasickness.

The Vive does sound a lot more advanced. Project Morpheus (Sony) also sounds as promising as the Rift (though according to Kyle Orland, less so than the Vive). It's still early days, though. At this point, I'd still want an in-person demo of a newer system before thinking about buying any of them.

It seems the HTC Vive will be the one to really watch this year.

Top Bottom