Bumper Stickers

joycem10

Deity
Was thinking about this when reading the thread on political signs being ripped down and cars being keyed for bumper stickers...

Why would you ever put a bumper sticker on your car. They destroy the finish, are impossible to completely remove, and evidently are an invitation to people who disagree with the sentiment to key your car.

Whan I was in high school I had an old RX-7 that I picked up cheap. I did my best to refurbish the thing on a limited budget, but the one thing I could never fix was the ghosts of bumper strickers past. This guy was some king of nut who had like 15 stickers on his car. Everything from dumb sayings, smiley faces, Yosemite Sam, and saddest of all, "Mondale '86".

I tried rubbing alcohol, wax, polish, tar remover, a buffer, and even an industrial grade solvent. I was never able to completely get the crap off and for the next 2 years I owned it you could see the ghost of those bumperstickers.

I wouldnt put a bumpersticker on my car today if you put a gun to my head. If the Jesus/Lincoln ticket ran against Hitler/Stalin in the '08 elections, my car would remain non-partisan.

"Mondale '86?? That's funny! Why try and remove it??

I would pay for a bumper sticker like that!

My cars have never had bumperstickers on them both because I don't like messing up the finish and because I don't like publicly advocating a belief that could be used against me personally (such as getting my car keyed). The "support the troops" magnetic ribbons I've seen are pretty cool, and if I see an American flag on a magnet I'll probably put it on my car. I might consider certain bumper stickers, too, if I can put them on with a magnet instead of sticking them on.

I have taped to my window, "Kucinich '16" Though it's confusing whenever I'm in Canada, so I usually replace it with an NDP sticker.

My mother has a static cling sticker on the back of her rear window, and my father uses bumper stickers from hunting organizations to cover up dents on his rear bumper.

I myself have no car, and therefore no bumper stickers.

SeleucusNicator said:
My mother has a static cling sticker on the back of her rear window, and my father uses bumper stickers from hunting organizations to cover up dents on his rear bumper.

I myself have no car, and therefore no bumper stickers.
If you don't have a car then stick them on yourself. :D
I don't like bumper stickers or wall ornaments for that matter. I'm a minimalist in that regard.

joycem10 said:
I wouldnt put a bumpersticker on my car today if you put a gun to my head. If the Jesus/Lincoln ticket ran against Hitler/Stalin in the '08 elections, my car would remain non-partisan.

H/S in '08!

I like to keep my car sticker free. I hate when the government or apartment complex makes you put parking permit stickers on your car. I have one now on my bumper and hate it. I had an apartment parking permit on my rear window that needed a razor blade to scrape off, so in the process I severed the connection to parts of my defroster (those brown stripes on the back window) so now parts of the window don't defrost or defog. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i thought this was the "whats the best/ your favourite bumper sticker" thread

my fav: i found jesus, hes in the trunk!

Jawz II said:
i thought this was the "whgat the best/ your favourite bumper sticker" thread

I saw one: "God was my co-pilot. But then we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him."

Jawz II said:
i thought this was the "whgat the best/ your favourite bumper sticker" thread

That's what I thought too - if I ever do put a bumpersticker on my car, it'll read either "I brake for tailgaters" or "If you can read this, you could be arrested for vehicular sodomy"

:p

We have 'My child is a honor student' at such and such school :mad: in my area , but I

saw one the other day= 'My kid beat up your honor student', on a pickup
no less, now that I

can live with :lol: .

Well, if you don't hate the look of a bumper sticker itself, and you can always find a bumper sticker that you'd like to have on your car at the time, you don't really have to worry about the "ghosts."

That said, I'd never put a bumper sticker on a really good car.
dgfred said:
We have 'My child is a honor student' at such and such school :mad: in my area , but I

saw one the other day= 'My child beat up your honor student', on a pickup
no less, now that I

can live with :lol: .
Hehe, I saw one saying, "Your child may be an honor student, but you're still a moron."

My favorite was this guy who had a bumper sticker with an American flag and the words, "United we stand," and right next to it a sticker with the Confederate flag. :lol: I doubt he realized the irony.

Bumper stickers are easy to remove, just use a hairdryer. Maybe some old-fashioned ones have a different substance used to 'sticky' them, but newer ones should all be fine now. Outside of that, the worst that can happen would be a ghost image due to color fade by sunlight.

Best sticker I saw was:

Equal Rights Does not Mean Special Rights.

I wish I could find that one now...

My current bumper stickers:

"Kerry '04, Terrorists Agree!"

"If Al Gore was president I'd still be raping and murdering" with a picture of Saddam.

"Give the Terrorists a Fighting Chance! Vote Kerry-Edwards in '04"

others were too controversial and my wife asked me not to put them on the vehicle.

Norlamand said:
My current bumper stickers:

"Kerry '04, Terrorists Agree!"

"If Al Gore was president I'd still be raping and murdering" with a picture of Saddam.

"Give the Terrorists a Fighting Chance! Vote Kerry-Edwards in '04"

others were too controversial and my wife asked me not to put them on the vehicle.
So you're assuming Bush does a great job against terror ? :lol:

How ? :confused:

Top Bottom