Civ III Mac Downloads

TrickyLoki

Chieftain
Hey everyone,

I'm a new user, who finally got his copy of Civ III for Mac. Of course, being rather ignorant, I bought it JUST before Civ III Complete came out, and now I'm stuck without the expansions, and furious at myself for it. Even worse, I'm in Korea, and can't return or easily find replacements.

Basically, my question is: is there any way to download the expansions online? Or any patches for Mac Civ III at all? I'm not sure what would be available, but I know there's a lot missing in my version from previous times I've played on PC.

And yes, I'm aware that Complete and Civ IV will be available soon for purchase. I don't want to buy a new one - I just got this one.

Hi, welcome to MacCivFanatics :wavey:

My sig includes a link to the updater for the current version of Civ3. You probably have version 1.14 if you have installed from a CD. The latest version is 1.29b2. Although it's theoretically a beta, it's the most stable version around, it's been around for a couple of years, and it provides file compatibility with the PC version 1.29f.

Alternatively, if you are keen on editing and modding, you would need to upgrade to version 1.21g, which is compatible with the only Mac editor. I think that updater is available at the Firaxis site.

If the imminent Complete product were going to include a new vanilla version then you might argue that they could offer a reduced version without vanilla for those who already have it. However, it will not include the "vanilla" version, so it's a new standalone product.

The version you have was published by MacSoft. The new Complete version comes from Aspyr, who as far as I know have no access to the code for the MacSoft product. Since there's no way for Aspyr to check that you have a valid CD for MacSoft's product, I can't see how they could offer it at a different price for players who already own vanilla, even if they wanted to.

Top Bottom