[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Hi, everyone.

first of all I would like to cogratulate kael for this awesome mod.

I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but when I start the game with your mod FFh2, everything is fine, and then when I start a new custom game, the sign on the upright screen says "10 turns left", which means I can only play 10 turns.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have patch 1.61

Thank you

Agenteusa said:
Hi, everyone.

first of all I would like to cogratulate kael for this awesome mod.

I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but when I start the game with your mod FFh2, everything is fine, and then when I start a new custom game, the sign on the upright screen says "10 turns left", which means I can only play 10 turns.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have patch 1.61

Thank you

I am glad you are enjoying it, I assure you that it is a team effort and involves a lot people than just me.

The 10 turn problem usually means you are using a NoCD patch. Remove it and it should work fine.

Good to see the Bannor are being improved. I just finished a game with them, and while I like the civ I thought they were a bit boring. Little worried about not allowing workers to be built under the crusade civic, but I'll see how it plays in the next patch.
I'm playing the Grigori now. I like the idea of the Adventurer in theory but it is lacking something in practice. Two problems:
First, having to spend money to upgrade each one is kind of a penalty. I think they should get their first upgrade for free. I hate having to leave an adventurer unused while I wait for the money to upgrade him (they don't receive promotions until they are upgraded, so they are too weak to use as a plain adventurer). Now once you do get them upgraded, they are very powerful. I am light-years ahead of everyone militarily because of my adventurers in this game. But I just feel that right now with the Grigori the only decent route to take is a military strategy, and that doesn't quite fit with the backstory. Which leads me to point #2:
Can there be an action for adventurers that has a cultural or scientific advantage? Its another huge disadvantage that the Grigori can't add great people to cities, even non-religious ones. The ability to do that or have a non-upgraded adventurer add some special building or cultural/scientific bonus to a city would be nice. It would allow that civ to pursue a non-military victory. I could see them as being a heavily scientific race. That could fit with the backstory.

abman said:
Good to see the Bannor are being improved. I just finished a game with them, and while I like the civ I thought they were a bit boring. Little worried about not allowing workers to be built under the crusade civic, but I'll see how it plays in the next patch.
I'm playing the Grigori now. I like the idea of the Adventurer in theory but it is lacking something in practice. Two problems:
First, having to spend money to upgrade each one is kind of a penalty. I think they should get their first upgrade for free. I hate having to leave an adventurer unused while I wait for the money to upgrade him (they don't receive promotions until they are upgraded, so they are too weak to use as a plain adventurer). Now once you do get them upgraded, they are very powerful. I am light-years ahead of everyone militarily because of my adventurers in this game. But I just feel that right now with the Grigori the only decent route to take is a military strategy, and that doesn't quite fit with the backstory. Which leads me to point #2:
Can there be an action for adventurers that has a cultural or scientific advantage? Its another huge disadvantage that the Grigori can't add great people to cities, even non-religious ones. The ability to do that or have a non-upgraded adventurer add some special building or cultural/scientific bonus to a city would be nice. It would allow that civ to pursue a non-military victory. I could see them as being a heavily scientific race. That could fit with the backstory.

Why can't the Grigori add great people to their cities? They can get great people other than adventurers, just like any other civ, depnding on what they build for.

And yes, I'll reduce the cost of the adventurers upgrades, thats a good point.

As I recall, the Grigori CAN get ordinary great people, but there's always the chance of generating Adventurers instead, making them a bit harder to get.

But I would not be adverse to a small boost to science to go with the Agnostic trait, that might be somewhat fitting. Though I don't really think the religions of FFH are necessarily some that condemns secular science as Christianity did in the Middle Ages.

I'm liking the mod more and more the deeper I get into it. Right now I'm trying the Clan of Embers, and while I wasn't crazy about the Orcs at first they're definately growing on me.

Particularly I had reservations about the whole scorched earth thing, but after playing deep into a game it seems to be a fair counterbalance to the cheap units. However I really did like someone's earlier suggestion that the Clan should at least be able to recover their own cities. Maybe they could keep a city only if they exert a certain level of cultural influence on it? Not sure if that's practical or not.

The barbarian trait of Jonas is another aspect I'm conflicted about. I like the science penalty, Orcs shouldn't be the foremost scientific minds in the world, but the friends with barbarian thing is a mixed bag. It's nice to be able to explore at will, but I really miss all the experience normally gained from thumping barbs.

Keep up the good work guys!

Sorry I guess I just hadn't received a regular great person yet. I therefore assumed they didn't get any. My bad.

bluehorn said:
I'm liking the mod more and more the deeper I get into it. Right now I'm trying the Clan of Embers, and while I wasn't crazy about the Orcs at first they're definately growing on me.

Particularly I had reservations about the whole scorched earth thing, but after playing deep into a game it seems to be a fair counterbalance to the cheap units. However I really did like someone's earlier suggestion that the Clan should at least be able to recover their own cities. Maybe they could keep a city only if they exert a certain level of cultural influence on it? Not sure if that's practical or not.

The barbarian trait of Jonas is another aspect I'm conflicted about. I like the science penalty, Orcs shouldn't be the foremost scientific minds in the world, but the friends with barbarian thing is a mixed bag. It's nice to be able to explore at will, but I really miss all the experience normally gained from thumping barbs.

Keep up the good work guys!

Your right, we need to find a way so that scorched earth lets you retake your own cities. Ill add it to the wish list.

The mana node animations are really nice but perhaps a bit too big?

Perhaps its a bit too high chance that a foregin religion spread to your cities where there already are one religion present?

Can anyone play with locked modified assets without the game chrasing?
( but it's not that big of a deal because you can always play hotseat and resign with one of the players :p ...)

1. Currently animals cannot appear after barbarians and players swarm all of the land with territory and units. Kinda makes those upper tier animal hunters that start with subdue animal useless for the purpose of catching animals. Since it has been proven possible to spontaneously spawn units such as treants, maybe a code can be used to spawn animals in the territories of civilizations on tiles without improvements. That means an animal unit may appear on a tile in a player's territory without a road or a cottage or any other worker created improvement. Animals will stick around even longer this way, and I think it makes sense that animals will not just disappear entirely just because your civilization claims a territory.

2. The Grigori have several balance issues being unable to adopt a state religion and having adventurers that start with no special abilities and are impossible to simply build like other heroes. I'm not entirely sure about the backstory of the Grigori but I believe that Cassiel wants the people to become independent of the Gods entirely. Wouldn't he try to teach the people ways of better protecting themselves from the powers that gods rely on? Maybe all adventurers should start off with a promotion like the Teachings of Cassiel which allows adventurers to use a cure disease spell that only cures the disease for the adventurer (for the purpose of not being overpowered) and an ability that provides a temporary boost to the happiness of the city the adventurer is in (maybe it could be called Tell Story because they do go on adventures after all).

I agree that the ranger can be a bit useless as subdue animal is likely to be gained after animals have disappeared in most games. But a simpler solution to this would just be to tweak the number of civs on each map. I always subtract one from the default number so that I have more open space for a longer time. Maybe this could be done by the mod automatically? I think with the larger role barbarians and animals play in FfH, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I believe animals stop spawning after a certain year. You will find large tracts of open land with no civs owning them and they will have no animals if they were cleaned out and your past that magic date. What he changed was that in vanilla civ4, animals vanish without being killed after a certain time. In here they never vanish until you kill them. There is usually some land that is not habited even later in the game so if animals just never stopped spawning we might be ok. They should be somewhat hard to get since they are fairly powerful.

You're right that the animals stop spawning after there are a certain number of cities per civ in the world.

In FfH we changed it so that even though they stop spawning at the same point they do in vanilla civ, they arent deleted like they are in vanilla civ. So that giant you see wandering the land will have to be killed by someone.

In "Fire" we plan on opening up a midgame area that will allow you to do some midgame exploration (from a design standpoint we want to extend the exploration and this seemed like a good way to do it). This area will have some more powerful animals that will challenge your rangers and may need beastmasters to take down.

In "Shadow" we want to create some areas in the main map that have to be conqured before they can be settled. These areas will house monster lairs that will spawn new animals and give your anti-animal units something to hunt.

- Kael

Wow, I have been at this site as a lurker for 4 months, but I just had to sign up and Congratulate the makers of this mod. It has to be one of the most ingenuitive mods I have ever seen. Each civ has diferent strenghs, weaknesses, unique units and/or traits that make for a differnt play experiances with each civ.

Also I have some questions that I would like answering...

Is this mod based off a book or game? I've seen some posts that seem to point to that it is?

You seem to have replied to all questions regarding the cult of the dragon with answers that talk about cults in general. This would seem to point to the conclution that their will be more cult religions. Is this true, and if so could you tell us some of them?

Also if this entire fantisy mod is of your own design and your not trying to recreate the world of a book could I make a sugestion of a civ I'd like to see placed into the game?
If its not too much hastle for you... I'd promise to keep the idea clear and concise with play stratagy, leader traits, faction song, and unique units in full detail.

Top Bottom