[BtS] Dales Combat Mod!

Although I'm still looking into this, I disagree with this enthusiasm for bombarding archers. If you're going to engage a unit -- especially a foot soldier type unit -- in this game, it has to be put at risk for damage, too. Otherwise, you create a situation where there's no risk/all reward for engaging in combat.

I partly agree. Although it makes sense that archers can strike from a distance, that doesn't mean they're always gonna hit their mark.

Dale, can you please add an <iBombardAccuracy> tag into the mix? It's role would be simple: determine how often a bombardment/barrage mission will hit its mark. Revolutionary War Musketmen could be 30% effective, while Snipers could be 95% effective. This would add a huge effect of realism to the mod and is something that vanilla CIV 4 is lacking!

Also, let's say Archers have a 50% chance to succeed in bombardment/barrage. They no longer have no risk/all reward because 1/2 times they will lose all movement points, effectively wasting a turn.

No you can't do both in one turn (regardless of movement points). Bombarding calls madeAttack(true) which stops you from assaulting in that turn.
And then the Blitz promotion will be more useful than ever, because it will allow such units to do both ... or to even bombard twice. I suppose if someone really wanted to distinguish between the two, they can separate it and create a new promotion that allows artillery to bombard twice (Blitz Bombard) and make the vanilla attack blitz indifferent to this new concept.

All source code is included in the folder \CvGameCoreDLL\ inside the Mod's folder. I have made comments to help you identify which parts of the code belong to which components:

Dale 1.1 has no source code added in the folder I do like what you are doing with the mod

Hi, Dale.

Here is your version 3.13 from post #1 with an improved installation. The right installation folder is now auto-detected!

Hi, Dale.

Here is your version 3.13 from post #1 with an improved installation. The right installation folder is now auto-detected!

Hehehe. Thanks, but I don't want an auto-detect folder as I have three installations (for certain reasons). ;)

To all:

I'm gunna let everyone hash over ideas and thoughts over the weekend. I'm off for the weekend so I'll look over everything next week. :)

Now before everyone gets TOO excited and runs off with wild ideas, IT MUST BE PROGRAMMABLE FOR THE AI!!!! If not, then I will refuse it.

To all players:

Please comment on the AI's use of the new concepts. Any comments welcomed. :)

Importantly, one thing I want to know is if the AI is using airbomb missions against you, and ranged bombardment.

All source code is included in the folder \CvGameCoreDLL\ inside the Mod's folder. I have made comments to help you identify which parts of the code belong to which components:

Dale 1.1 has no source code added in the folder I do like what you are doing with the mod

Already discussed earlier. Due to beta code, I was going to release in a few days the code.

Hehehe. Thanks, but I don't want an auto-detect folder as I have three installations (for certain reasons). ;)

You are still able to change the folder! But the normal user with one installation won't have to know the right path. My installation is for example in

C:\Spiele\Civilization 4\Beyond the sword\Mods

My installation knows it, yours not. ;)

To all:

I'm gunna let everyone hash over ideas and thoughts over the weekend. I'm off for the weekend so I'll look over everything next week. :)

Now before everyone gets TOO excited and runs off with wild ideas, IT MUST BE PROGRAMMABLE FOR THE AI!!!! If not, then I will refuse it.

To all players:

Please comment on the AI's use of the new concepts. Any comments welcomed. :)

Importantly, one thing I want to know is if the AI is using airbomb missions against you, and ranged bombardment.

What do you think about my suggestion? :confused: Do you see any problems for the AI? I don't really know how it works. I saw no problem because I thought that the AI uses your air-missions, knows the concept of the firststrikechance (and so can calculate the chance to win) and it knows the concept of bombarding.

€: I tested range bombardment with the editor. The AI doesn't use it. :(

I haven't played Road to War -- is the "Atomic Bomber" supposed to be a unit? Or a special bombard mission?

P.S. Enola Gay, not Grey... ;)

The installer as Dale use it detects nothing! :rolleyes: I changed it...

The installer is set to Civ4's DEFAULT install directory of: %PROGRAM FILES%\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\

This covers both XP and Vista default install dirs. I don't see why I need to do an auto-detect. Besides, with Civ4 Complete it doesn't store the BtS directory in a reg key, only the Civ4 Complete directory, so auto-detect would be useless for those players.

I haven't played Road to War -- is the "Atomic Bomber" supposed to be a unit? Or a special bombard mission?

I also never played RtW, but as I know it is a single use bomber with a nuclear weapon. So it is like a tactical nuke, but it does need less tech and can be intercepted.

Shame on you! :mad:

The atomic bomber is a bomber unit that has one mission, nuke. It's a single tile nuke affect and one use only unit. Available with Fission+Flight+uranium.

Besides, with Civ4 Complete it doesn't store the BtS directory in a reg key, only the Civ4 Complete directory, so auto-detect would be useless for those players.

That should be no problem. Can you tell me the reg key for complete? Than I think I can make it work for all versions.

That should be no problem. Can you tell me the reg key for complete? Than I think I can make it work for all versions.

This is quoted from another forum (not me that said it) but it sounds logical and right. :)

If someone with Complete can confirm that'd be useful.

Civ4:Vanilla+Civ4:Warlords+Civ4:BtS (three keys):
SOFTWARE\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier\'s Civilization 4
SOFTWARE\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier\'s Civilization 4: Warlords
SOFTWARE\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier\'s Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword

instead Civ:Complete only has one key:
SOFTWARE\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier\'s Civilization 4 Complete

I'm very sorry but I still don't like the battle-solutions. But I've got a suggestion....

I agree with some of your ideas, but I&#8217;m not sure how complex Dale wants to make this mod. I&#8217;m for keeping it simple, but effective.

1. Decide if a unit can bombard <iCanBombard>0 or 1 - Agree
2. If it can bombard give it a range <iBombardRange>0,1,2,... (squares) &#8211; Agree
3. If it can bombard define what can be damaged (like airbomb-missions) &#8211; Agree, but this is where I suggest we simplify, with a maximum of four choices.

...a. <iCanBombardCityDefense>0 or 1 &#8211; Agree
...b. <iCanBombardUnits>0 or 1 &#8211; Agree
...c. <iCanBombardBuildings>0 or 1 - Simplify: Can take out any city improvement: Random logic determines what improvement gets destroyed: a Factory, a Court House, a Library, a barracks, etc.
...d. <iCanBombardCityProduction>0 or 1 - New Idea: The number of production points (hammers) for the current project is reduced by random logic. Multiple production attacks can reduce city production to 0. Thus, it takes much longer (additional turns) to finish the current project.

4. Define a battle distance <iBattleDistance>0,1,2,3,4,... I&#8217;m on the fence here, as this may be too complex to code. I'll default to Dale's best logic.

What do you think Dale?

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

I agree with some of your ideas, but I’m not sure how complex Dale wants to make this mod. I’m for keeping it simple, but effective.

1. Decide if a unit can bombard <iCanBombard>0 or 1 - Agree
2. If it can bombard give it a range <iBombardRange>0,1,2,... (squares) – Agree
3. If it can bombard define what can be damaged (like airbomb-missions) – Agree, but this is where I suggest we simplify, with a maximum of four choices.

...a. <iCanBombardCityDefense>0 or 1 – Agree
...b. <iCanBombardUnits>0 or 1 – Agree
...c. <iCanBombardBuildings>0 or 1 - Simplify: Can take out any city improvement: Random logic determines what improvement gets destroyed: a Factory, a Court House, a Library, a barracks, etc.
...d. <iCanBombardCityProduction>0 or 1 - New Idea: The number of production points (hammers) for the current project is reduced by random logic. Multiple production attacks can reduce city production to 0. Thus, it takes much longer (additional turns) to finish the current project.

4. Define a battle distance <iBattleDistance>0,1,2,3,4,... I’m on the fence here, as this may be too complex to code. I'll default to Dale's best logic.

What do you think Dale?

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

If you won't define a battledistance the whole system won't work...:crazyeye:

The missions should be the same as for planes I think. But not all units should be able to use all the missions.

This is quoted from another forum (not me that said it) but it sounds logical and right. :)

If someone with Complete can confirm that'd be useful.

Tried to make it work with both versions but it won't do. All I can do is to optimize it for one version.
So I'll set it to the default path for the complete version and call the right path from registry for single-versions.

But what is the default for complete?

Top Bottom