Star Trek Online... Anyone Interested

I wouldve gotten it by now, but I'll have to eat the $20 a month subscription that turned me off of WoW. Good luck with paying hundreds of money a month and being thier b***h.

I wouldve gotten it by now, but I'll have to eat the $20 a month subscription that turned me off of WoW. Good luck with paying hundreds of money a month and being thier b***h.

Some of us are willing to pay reasonable monthly subscriptions for entertainment. Your second sentence makes no sense to me, though.

$20 a month is a bit steep :p

For something I'll probably play for 20+ hrs in a month? That's still cheaper than renting movies for an equivalent amount of time.

Netflix! :p

I concede that you have a point though.

For something I'll probably play for 20+ hrs in a month? That's still cheaper than renting movies for an equivalent amount of time.

I rather spend my money on-- you know-- good games than an MMO.
I'm glad I don't rent movies.

At least if I have to spend money on a subscription, I bettter get a package deal out of it. I said it about Everquest in my reviews back in the day, and I'm saying it again on these pay-per-play MMO's.

Good games pretty much come down to personal opinion, so some people will consider some mmos to be good games. :p

Well, I find it hella fun... I play STO more than I play any PS3 or Xbox 360 game, by a huuuuuge margin... Probably not as much as Civ yet though ;) but I've only had STO for just over a month...

P.S. I actually had a dream last night that I was playing a Civ/Star Trek hybrid :lol:

Oh, by the way, it's actually $15/mo.

I bent over and used my tax return and got the lifetime subscription. Now I just hope the wife doesn't find out... or the 2012 thing is a false alarm!:mischief:

Still one cent too much. I already paid for the game, why would I want to pay more money to play it?

no idea why you would want to but some online games actually do have a fee. like your local tennis club or sattelite tv. no need to participate in either. local tv program might be nice. hitting a ball against your backyard wall with a racket is fun for a minute or two. some people enjoy the sattelite channels and the well kept grounds of a decent tennis club.

not that STO is anywhere close to warranting the monthly payments, that I'll grant you. some games do, though.

Still one cent too much. I already paid for the game, why would I want to pay more money to play it?

Server maintenance etc. The initial sales won't be enough to cover server/staff costs to keep it running and developing new content.

Out of curiosity, does STO have any free trial period yet? Interested in trying it, although I can't really afford to play a 2nd mmo atm.

Yeah it's got 30 days. You can get a 5 day friend account but I'm not sure if this waives your 30 day free trial if you actually buy the product....

Couldn't see anything on their site about a free trial, I'm assuming the 30 days you mentioned are from when you buy the product?

Yeah, sorry. 30-days when you buy it, 5-days if a friend recommends but you don't have to buy it.

Oh hey I think I have some friend codes! I'll have to check my box later and I'll let you know. :)

Also, STO's first content patch is coming out shortly. They don't have a definitive date but it'll be coming between today and the end of the month.

http://www.startrekonline.com/season_one

PVP Updates
* Wargames – Federation players can now participate in PvP against one another to better prepare for the dangers of the battlefield.
* New PvP Map – Explore “Shanty Town,” a brand new Ground Assault map available for both Klingon and Federation players.

Customization
* Off-Duty Uniforms – Experience DS9 in style! Starfleet officers will have the option to change into off-duty outfits to enjoy more casual attire.
* New Stances and Hairstyles – Further customize your Captain by changing his or her hairstyle, or adopting two brand new stances: Stern and Relaxed.
* The Captain's Log - A web-based application to check in on you and your friends' Captains and ships.

Ships
* A New Klingon Battle Cruiser – The K’Tanco Battle Cruiser has been made available to Klingon Lieutenant Commanders.
* Klingon Ship Customization - Use the ship tailor to customize your Bird of Prey, Carrier or Raptor.

Missions
* New Fleet Actions Everywhere!
o The Big Dig – Available in Romulan space.
o DS9 Under Siege - The True Way has attacked and boarded DS9. Repel the invasion to save the day.
o Klingons Can Play, Too – Klingon Captains may now access the Crystalline Entity, Big Dig and Breaking the Planet Fleet Actions

Skills
* Respec Is Here – Unhappy with your Captain’s skill point allocation? Use the respec tool to change things up. (Available both in-game and as a C-store item.)
* New Skill: Starship Attack Vectors – Improve your ship’s accuracy and critical hit chance.
* New Skill: Combat Maneuvers – Improve your ship’s evasion and turn rate.
* New Skill: Starship Battle Strategy – Improve your ship’s critical hit severity and damage resistance.

In The C-Store
* New Bridge Variants - All new ways to update your Bridges’ look, available for a low price in the C-Store for both Federation and Klingon ships.
* Federation Ship Variants – New takes on your old favorites, available for a low price in the C-Store.
* Respec - Unhappy with your Captain’s skill point allocation? Use the respec tool to change things up.
* Character Slot - Purchase an additional character slot if you'd like to have more than three characters on your account.
* Rename - Changed your mind about the cool name you chose? Get it legally changed! Recognized across the Alpha Quadrant.
* New Federation Playable Species - Become a Tellarite, Pakled or Rigelian.

I'm kind of interested about what sorts of ship and bridge variants they're going to have in the C-Store.

*sigh* so they really did cave in and bring Feds versus Feds pvp? slap in the face of the Klingon playerbase but then again we are only a small fraction of the playerbase.

I'm still waiting for a Gorn player character for the Feds... Guess I'll have to keep waiting.:sad:

Top Bottom