Minecraft

Bom bom bom. Another one bites the dust. :cool:

And on that note, ~100 people bought the game yesterday in about 20 hours. That's $1300 a day for this guy, and it's not even finished yet! :lol::cool::crazyeye:

Well the guy is working on it full time now and the money goes to supporting his efforts. He's actually working on making a game with an infinitely sized map! You could just go forever and ever.

Except the damned thing crashes if you try to load anything bigger than 1024x

The new front of my fortress. It's back lit too with torches.

infdev is SO amazing, esp. with the new doors, signs, and ladders!

Now if only we could get caves, leaf decay and physics it would be 'top notch' :king:

No! If Notch would devise a way to either convert Indev maps into Infdev maps or bring those changes into Indev, THEN it'd be 'top notch.' :D

Otherwise I'm annoyed that my dwarf fortress might be wasted effort. :mad:

I decided to restart building my fortress in Alpha as it doesn't look like an Indev to Infdev converter is coming soon and there were some flaws in my old fortress that I wanted to do differently.

This is just one of the side streets in the middle class district. Way back there behind that monument and wall is the lower class district where the manual laborers, visitors and lower class dwarves would live. The middle class is mostly for merchants and manager dwarves. I'm currently digging out the royal district where senator and aristocrat quarters will be. Where as the lower class have only one room housing and the middle class has multiple room housing, the royal district will boast multiple rooms and multiple levels, with the senators having one more level on top with a garden on top of the aristocrat houses.

Found this game through the Team Fortress 2 blog and have been playing it a lot since

Not really that complex yet, but it probably will be quite so at the late stages of Beta. At least, I hope so.

Also, remember this post?

And on that note, ~100 people bought the game yesterday in about 20 hours.

1600 people bought it from 5:45 PM 7/29 to 5:45 PM 7/30.

Not really that complex yet, but it probably will be quite so at the late stages of Beta. At least, I hope so.

Also, remember this post?

1600 people bought it from 5:45 PM 7/29 to 5:45 PM 7/30.

A lot of that was probably because it was mentioned on the TF2 blog, and thus on Digg, Reddit and StumbleUpon (among others).

Thanks to the discover of Dynamite Mining, I finished the Royal Quarter of my fortress and the upper class / senator housing, complete with a large balcony overlooking the Royal Quarter for the senators! I'm now getting started in digging out the throne room and soon I'll be ready to strike out into the outside world after spending about a month underground.

The fortress is really too big for pictures so I'll post a video tour later. :)

I think you know you play Minecraft too much when you start to see everything in blocks.

Yep, I've completely succumbed to it's simple brilliance. The game itself has a "youngish" crowd currently, probably due to the first version of the game which was more like 3D pixel art with blocks.

I wrote a little post about how Survival (the "indev" or "Alpha" versions mentioned above) is a good mix of Lost, Simcity, and Civilization! I'm looking to pool together some awesome minds and get a good private server game going here.

I think my fortress is at the done point and anything else is asthetics!

Here's the spawn hut for if you die somehow. This'll shelter you from the snow.

This path'll lead you to the primary fortress where all the awesome is. You can see the lighthouse in the second picture at the top of the mountain in the distance where it'll bring you to...

The front edifice! The little icon is a sort of homage to my old fortress that I abandoned for Alpha.

The lobby where you might wait to be let in.

The stairway that goes down to...

The security door. This would be the final line of defense before entering the primary fortress.

The Lower Class Quarter! This would be where the low class dwarves, merchants and non-VIP visitors would mingle.

Tree farm for harvesting wood.

And the general farm to grow wheat for bread, bamboo for books and cactus for perhaps some future use.

The lower class living quarters. There are more numerous rooms like this than the other classes. You would find 4 dwarves or an entire lower class family in one room.

The central middle class quarter street. Here's where most store fronts would be located.

The living room of the middle class apartment. There are 4 rows of these blocks of mixed residential and commercial.

The royal quarter!

Aristocrat/senator housing, complete with a patio specifically for the senators.

Throne room

Throne

Center of the room and the lava pit underneath

Now my royal bath

Royal study

And the royal bedroom

Thanks for visiting!

I don't even care that you hacked in stuff, that is just... .... staggeringly awesome.

Well everything up to the middle class quarter was done by me. I had to hack in diamond, gold and iron blocks and TNT but I still had to dig out everything. There isn't a single block in that fortress I haven't touched.

What'd you use to hack them in?

Ive only used the old creative mode standalone client, so Ive no idea about any client-side modifications to the newer one.

That is, for lack of a better word, amazing. You are quite an engineer. It's cool how everything is underground and self-sufficient, so that dwarves can spend all their time indoors. I wish I lived there (except for the no-outdoors part).

You should make the outside of it look like a castle, that way the dwarves will never lose their home. It looks like a dome of dirt from the outside.

Your work is outstanding. Also, you should make a gunpowder room/armory. Every dwarven fortress has one :p

Top Bottom