Thoughts on Diablo III?

All I can say is wow. Imagine if NetHack had microtransactions!

Personally, I would refuse to play any $60 on release game that had microtransactions on top of real DLC of the typical form of additional levels, characters, etc... Charging $10 for a 3d model that has a couple of real in game stats is too much. As Thormodr implied, that's Ramen money.

That's obviously why they have the online requirement. It's not for the piracy, but so they can prevent you modding stuff into your game and playing with others with it, so instead they can charge you $10 a gimmick item. I wouldn't consider Diablo 3 with microtransactions unless they made it free2play.

You completely misunderstand what this is about, it's not a typical microtransaction system. It's not a store where Blizzard sells you stuff. It's an auction house where YOU sell the item and YOU make money. It's an auction house where YOU buy stuff off ANOTHER PLAYER who GETS THE MONEY. Of course, Blizzard takes a cut if you go that route, but they haven't said how much yet. Let's not spit at them until they reveal that, instead of going "oh you know it's gonna be 110% lol".

To top it all, you don't even HAVE to extract the money. What I mean is that you can use the real-money auction house as an in-game auction house. Let's say you sell an item for 4$, this 4$ is in your Blizzard account. You don't even have to extract it from the account, you can just use that 4$ to buy something else in the auction house. This money doesn't even transit on your credit card. So you can buy stuff from the real money auction house without ever actually paying more than the 60$ the retail game goes for. In that sense, the only difference between an in-game gold auction house and a real-money one is psychological, because your "gold" in your "account" is actual money.

Of course, you are right about the real reason behind "always online". And they haven't really hidden from that fact. They're not pretending piracy is the main reason, if a reason at all.

God I can't believe I'm defending this crap, I don't really like it either, but jeez, let's get the facts straight. While it does give the game a cheap koreanMMORPG feel in some way, it really doesn't work quite the same way as most do.

No one is forcing you to use the RMAH but you will be constantly thinking about it. That's the point. It'll always be in the back of your mind.

Not for me it wont.

The Blizzard that you have today is not the Blizzard of Diablo I and II days. You can have faith in them if you want. I am not interesting in a cash grabbing AAA company like that. I'll stick to the middle market.

Starcraft 2 met my every expectation. Even exceeded a few. I expect the same for D3.

If you are a university student or you live in a country like Thailand for example, $10 is a big deal. Maybe you work part time and are going to night school already. You want to play a game to relax and unwind. Now it becomes a financial decision when you get a good item drop. That's lame.

Its not lame, and in that particular case it could be a windfall.

Let me ask. Do you complain about finding 20 bucks on the ground as you walk?

No?

Then get over it.

I have more than enough money to buy whatever I want in the game as well. That isn't the point though. I am not rewarding Blizzard for their greed and for introducing something very ugly into the game.

Ugly? People selling things they want to sell, to people that want to buy it is ugly?

Seriously?

Wake up. Thats only been going on in one form or another for the last 20 years. This isnt 'very ugly' at all, but a way to address an ongoing issue in games thats been going on awhile.

Bottom line, there are plenty of other reasons not to buy this game but this is the final straw and it broke the camel's back as well.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

Torchlight II will be more than sufficient for me and Runic Games has integrity. Nice to see they haven't forgotten their roots. :)

I bought and played Torchlight. Fun game. No reason for me to have to pick one over the other however. If they are both good, i'll buy both.

If your parents are floating you for every expense to the point where you don't have to even think about finances, then you're not mature enough to be on the Internet.

There's not a maturity test for being on the net. However, there is a fiscal one. You can either afford it or you cant.

It's true in a way that you can choose not to participate. But you have to basically actively choose not to participate every time a potentially worthy item drops down. So it is a pretty harassing thing if you ask me. Not everybody thinks the same way.

Again, would you find 20 bucks laying on the ground as you walk 'harassment'?

Seriously, I dont get what you guys are complaining about. It seems to be a win/win even for a very casual gamer.

That being said, I guess a lot of this will depend on the value of the items. If 99% of items are not excruciatingly rare, I don't think many of them will sell for more than 5$, but we'll see. If it all dabbles in small numbers like that, who cares about this auction house. I can safely ignore it. The only time when it might come into play is if I am a lucky person who gets an item worth 100$. Although I'd probably sell it if there are really people who are gonna buy it. It's kind of sad in a way, it means that I won't get to play with the rarest items in the game, because I'm a sane person who would sell it and not pay 100$ for something like that. Thank you insane people.

The beauty of this is that you are making a choice to either keep it and use it or sell it to someone else.

Again, I dont see the problem here. Yo buy a game for $49.99. You play a bit. A $100 dollar value item drops. You decide to sell it on the AH. You profit.

And you guys whine like thats a bad thing?

I dont get it. :confused:

Anyway, it'll all depend on how prices settle. But I suspect most of the items most of us will dabble with will go for worthless prices.

Most likely. Which means it will have a very minimal impact for the most part.

Again, would you find 20 bucks laying on the ground as you walk 'harassment'?

No, I just keep it, there is no choice involved.

Again, I dont see the problem here. Yo buy a game for $49.99. You play a bit. A $100 dollar value item drops. You decide to sell it on the AH. You profit.

I agree that there is no reason to complain about making 100$ randomly. But I'd rather keep it to finding them on the streets like you say. There is a large portion of the players that don't like the fact that a portion of the game may now be reserved for people who are crazy and will shell out 50$ to buy an item. This happens because, if you are a normal person, and you get a super rare drop, you sell it. Whereas in previous game there was theoretically no monetary value attached to it and you could just be happy that the game rewarded you with rare in-game stuff, use it in game, you know, game with it.

I say theoretically becuase there were third party websites. But there was no way in hell I was going to give these guys my credit card info even to sell a 100$ item. So it didn't really apply. Now it's ubiquitous.

EDIT: I guess the conclusion is that I don't mind making money off the game (if that somehow is possible), but I DO think it denatures the gameplay itself, for the worse, and we'll see to what extent depending on what the prices look like.

If you want to play Diablo III, be my guest. I am making a personal choice as well not to support them, as all this would do is encourage other companies to do the same.

The game will be monetized and I simply can't accept that. It's bad for gamers everywhere.

You are also incredibly naive if you think that the RMAH isn't going to affect you. It will affect all parts of the game. Mark my words.

There's not a maturity test for being on the net. However, there is a fiscal one. You can either afford it or you cant.

According to you, the demographic of "who can afford it" is wildly different than what most video game companies are targeting. Hey, if Blizzard doesn't want people in, or fresh out of, college (traditionally considered the prime demographic for their games) to play Diablo 3, all power to them.

I agree that there is no reason to complain about making 100$ randomly. But I'd rather keep it to finding them on the streets like you say. There is a large portion of the players that don't like the fact that a portion of the game may now be reserved for people who are crazy and will shell out 50$ to buy an item.

Except thats already been a reality of the gaming world when item dependent MMOs and such came out.

I had a buddy who sold an maxed out Everquest account for $1200 bucks on ebay back in the day. I had another friend who bought one for $300 bucks just so he could have a toon of commensurate level to play with our group on another server.

Its been a reality. Recognizing its a reality isnt a 'bad thing' (tm).

This happens because, if you are a normal person, and you get a super rare drop, you sell it.

No, some normal people might indeed use it for the advantage the item gives them.

Whereas in previous game there was theoretically no monetary value attached to it and you could just be happy that the game rewarded you with rare in-game stuff, use it in game, you know, game with it.

Previous games have always had monetary value placed on such items, they were just bought and sold under a different venue.

I say theoretically becuase there were third party websites. But there was no way in hell I was going to give these guys my credit card info even to sell a 100$ item. So it didn't really apply. Now it's ubiquitous.

There are ways to ensure fiscal transactions and not use a credit card. Paypal for instance.

EDIT: I guess the conclusion is that I don't mind making money off the game (if that somehow is possible), but I DO think it denatures the gameplay itself, for the worse, and we'll see to what extent depending on what the prices look like.

If thats your belief, then you need to regard every game since Everquest or Ultima Online as 'denatured', because what you complain about started then and has been ongoing ever since.

If you want to play Diablo III, be my guest. I am making a personal choice as well not to support them, as all this would do is encourage other companies to do the same.

The game will be monetized and I simply can't accept that. It's bad for gamers everywhere.

I disagree that its bad for gamers especially given the fact that this has been practiced in various forms for a very long while now.

It really only hurts a person who thinks they can compete in PvP at the very highest levels without engaging in such transactions. Thats going to be a very, very small fraction of the people who will enjoy this game. The vast majority will play this game either single player, or with a few friends, and be completely oblivious to the AH.

You are also incredibly naive if you think that the RMAH isn't going to affect you. It will affect all parts of the game. Mark my words.

I'm not naive, I simply have 20+ years of gaming experience to make my claim about it. I'd rather trust my own lengthy experience involved in this sort of thing that 'marking your words'.

How about you mark mine: This game is going to be a huge selling hit for Blizzard for the simple reason its a huge franchise for them (just like Starcraft) and continuing this story, and doing it well (which they will do) is why people will buy this thing in droves. Its absolutely one of the most anticipated games to be released for a reason.

According to you, the demographic of "who can afford it" is wildly different than what most video game companies are targeting. Hey, if Blizzard doesn't want people in, or fresh out of, college (traditionally considered the prime demographic for their games) to play Diablo 3, all power to them.

As I have a friend in this business, he tells me that the stat for such Free to play is 80% to 90% of the actual player base buys/purchases very very little under that model, that the company actually relies on a very small minority that litterly will buy every single item offered, even vanity items.

What do I care if someone thinks they have to absolutely have that vanity mount that affects nothing actually in a game? And I learned long ago that if I dont have the time or I'm not willing to spend the money on what it takes to be a #1 competitor in a particular game, then why worry about it? If I play D3 for several months, single player and with my friends, will I have gotten my fair value out of the game? Absolutely.

I guess i'm just old enough now to where I actually play games to enjoy them for that experience, and to not base my enjoyment in comparison to what other players have/do/can afford.

The RMAH is a simple exercise in "If you can't beat em, join em." Blizzard can't stamp out gold sellers, but they can certainly legitimize selling gold and in-game items and get a cut of the action. It is, after all, their game - they probably don't like other people making money off their product, and you can bet they're looking for ways to make even more money out of it themselves.

Did anyone here play Everquest 2? (That's an MMO, similar to WoW.) Back in the day, Sony Online did the same kind of thing that Blizzard is doing here, but on a limited scale; they launched a couple of "Exchange" servers where items and gold could be bought and sold for real-world currency. In that regard it was at least an opt-in (because you had to transfer to or start characters one of those Exchange servers), but I don't like that the RMAH is always on for everyone and there's no opting out. The RMAH will exist whether you use it or not; people will be fighting for loot drops they can't even use because those drops can easily sold for real-world currency. I'm waiting to see how the drops are allocated (NBG rolls or what?) before I pass judgement, but this news definitely dampens my enthusiasm.

Don't worry. Diablo 3 will be great. This person has never let you down, right? :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

Except thats already been a reality of the gaming world when item dependent MMOs and such came out.

(...)

If thats your belief, then you need to regard every game since Everquest or Ultima Online as 'denatured', because what you complain about started then and has been ongoing ever since.

Just because things exist doesn't mean we should just turn them into mainstream and accept them as ethical and having their places in our lifestyle/hobby. Right-wingers of all people should agree with that, what with their opposition to legalizing a bunch of crap.

For the record, no, I don't consider someone who passes on an opportunity to make 100$ just to keep some imaginary sword in a game as quite normal. Maybe that's because I'm in contact with real life in my daily job.

Actually, I dont think there is any way anyone could call WoW anything but a great game and probably the most successful online game in the history of gaming.
WoW has become a pile of steaming dung since 3.0.
Sure it's still very successfull, but as The Sims and Independence Day has proved, "successfull" doesn't mean "good".

WoW's combat is incredibly dull. And that is coming from someone who spent the week playing Project Reality for BF2, where you're very lucky to get 6 kills in a single hour.

Each to their own and I know people who do enjoy the combat typical off MMORPGs and there's nothing wrong with that, but I find it so dull that I have a lot more fun wandering around a city with my squad and occasionally shooting at someone in the distance.

The RMAH is a simple exercise in "If you can't beat em, join em." Blizzard can't stamp out gold sellers, but they can certainly legitimize selling gold and in-game items and get a cut of the action. It is, after all, their game - they probably don't like other people making money off their product, and you can bet they're looking for ways to make even more money out of it themselves.

Did anyone here play Everquest 2? (That's an MMO, similar to WoW.) Back in the day, Sony Online did the same kind of thing that Blizzard is doing here, but on a limited scale; they launched a couple of "Exchange" servers where items and gold could be bought and sold for real-world currency. In that regard it was at least an opt-in (because you had to transfer to or start characters one of those Exchange servers), but I don't like that the RMAH is always on for everyone and there's no opting out. The RMAH will exist whether you use it or not; people will be fighting for loot drops they can't even use because those drops can easily sold for real-world currency. I'm waiting to see how the drops are allocated (NBG rolls or what?) before I pass judgement, but this news definitely dampens my enthusiasm.

Played EQ2 for awhile w/friends and never used the auction system once.

You opt out of the AH system by not using it. Simple.

Don't worry. Diablo 3 will be great. This person has never let you down, right? :rolleyes:

Since I have no idea who that guy is, all I have to say is that Blizzard certainly hasnt let me down and I think their games from over the last 20 years speak for the company quite well.

Just because things exist doesn't mean we should just turn them into mainstream and accept them as ethical and having their places in our lifestyle/hobby. Right-wingers of all people should agree with that, what with their opposition to legalizing a bunch of crap.

For the record, no, I don't consider someone who passes on an opportunity to make 100$ just to keep some imaginary sword in a game as quite normal. Maybe that's because I'm in contact with real life in my daily job.

Except this isnt 'legalizing a bunch of crap'. Its a business model, and ALL it does is it takes a reality of the gaming industry and implements it to their control. I dont see a problem with that.

And your not the final arbiter of what normal is or isnt for an online gaming community. Sorry.

WoW has become a pile of steaming dung since 3.0.
Sure it's still very successfull, but as The Sims and Independence Day has proved, "successfull" doesn't mean "good".

WoW is also quite dated, but its still 'good' enough to still be the best MMO in the industry. Nothing has come along thats the proverbial 'WoW killer' yet. Fwiw, I always have hopes that the 'next big thing' will indeed meet the hype, but so far they always seem to fall short.

Played EQ2 for awhile w/friends and never used the auction system once.

You opt out of the AH system by not using it. Simple.

Since I have no idea who that guy is, all I have to say is that Blizzard certainly hasnt let me down and I think their games from over the last 20 years speak for the company quite well.

Except this isnt 'legalizing a bunch of crap'. Its a business model, and ALL it does is it takes a reality of the gaming industry and implements it to their control. I dont see a problem with that.

And your not the final arbiter of what normal is or isnt for an online gaming community. Sorry.

WoW is also quite dated, but its still 'good' enough to still be the best MMO in the industry. Nothing has come along thats the proverbial 'WoW killer' yet. Fwiw, I always have hopes that the 'next big thing' will indeed meet the hype, but so far they always seem to fall short.

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Blizzard isn't going to let you down all right. Why? Because Blizzard doesn't exist anymore.

It's Activision Blizzard now with Robert A. Kotick (destroyer of games, franchises and game developers) in charge.

Here's a little background information for you on the biggest scumbag in the gaming industry:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

A couple of choice quotes from the aforementioned scumbag:

In the last cycle of videogames you spent $50 on a game, played it and took it back to the shop for credit. Today, we’ll (charge) $100 for a guitar. You might add a microphone or drums; you might buy two or three expansions packs, different types of music. Over the life of your ownership you’ll probably buy around 25 additional song packs in digital downloads. So, what used to be a $50 sale is a $500 sale today.

Kotick noted that in the past he changed the employee incentive program so that it "really rewards profit and nothing else." He continued, "You have studio heads who five years ago didn't know the difference between a balance sheet and a bed sheet who are now arguing allocations in our CFO's office pretty regularly. ... We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

Blizzard itself (WoW mostly) is the largest single source of income for Activision-Blizzard and Kotick doesn't seem to have any real influence on Blizzard's game development (otherwise I am sure WoW would have a store selling gold and items which would deal a major blow to the gold farming industry).

Starcraft 2 didnt seem destroyed.

So.....

Like I said, until I start really seeing evidence of released blizzard games being substandard, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt they have earned from me for the last 20 years.

Why am I not surprised?

What? By the fact that i'm more interested in the end result of a game as opposed to hand-wringing and going henny penny over it when it still has a long way to go prior to being released?

Ah well. I say again...I dont see any of the things you guys are crying about here as huge detriments to the game. I guess only time will tell, eh?

Starcraft 2 didnt seem destroyed.

So.....

Like I said, until I start really seeing evidence of released blizzard games being substandard, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt they have earned from me for the last 20 years.

What? By the fact that i'm more interested in the end result of a game as opposed to hand-wringing and going henny penny over it when it still has a long way to go prior to being released?

Ah well. I say again...I dont see any of the things you guys are crying about here as huge detriments to the game. I guess only time will tell, eh?

Simply by the fact that you claim ignorance of Robert A. Kotick even though you claim to have been gaming for 20 years. :lol:

It's called a track record. You seem to be relying on Blizzard's. Unfortunately, that isn't relevant anymore. It'll be Activision's track record for destroying games that is relevant now sadly. :sad:

In case you really were being genuine, read through the link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting thread with some pretty sage predictions from May, 2010:

Activison, the king of DLC, will continue to have a big impact on future blizzard products. (im scared for diablo) They're in this industry for the money, not to make amazing games that will be remembered for decades to come.

Blizzard said they would never open the way for people to pay real money to get an ingame advantage. Mounts and pets provide no advantage. Pets are just cosmetic so you look cooler. Players can get mounts easily in the game as soon as they get the right level, and buying a special mount doesn't let players avoid the level restriction. So premium mounts are just cosmetic as well. Blizzard hasn't broken their promise to not allow real money -> ingame advantage transfers.

Activision wants Blizzard to capitalize on all of it's products. They've already done it with WoW by adding a pet store where you can buy pets and mounts (which Blizzard stated early on that they would NEVER do), and now they're slapping a price tag on an online Auction House that can be used outside of the games.

So far, it's *kinda* only been restricted to WoW, I'm not sure how far it will go.

Read the bolded part. Blizzard has always HATED the idea of getting extra rewards, even if pointless and does nothing to effect balance. Regardless of what the community wanted, it's Activision that pushed them to do this. I won't be surprised if they force Blizzard to begin selling weapons and armor.

And what they could do to SC2 and D3 makes me shudder.

http://sc2armory.com/forums/topic/16111/page:2

I remember when Blizzard opened that online store where you could buy pets and mounts for WoW. It was at least only limited to more or less cosmetic items, but it still made me vaguely queasy... because where do you draw the line? And how likely is that line to shift, and shift, and shift some more? The first vanity mount that Blizzard sold at that time earned some ungodly amount of money in the first day it was available. (I don't remember the figures, unfortunately.) You have to wonder how long a company under the purview of Activision will willingly turn down millions of dollars in extra profit they can make just by selling a few sparkly pixels.

I'm reasonable enough that I'm not gonna run of screaming that the sky is falling, but none of these developments improve the game for the players. And the kicker is, D3 - the game itself - will likely be great. I'm sticking with "wait and see," for now, but I'm wary as to how these changes - esp the RMAH - will impact the overall gameplay experience.

See, I'm the opposite as most in this thread. I honestly am not too concerned over the RMAH, I can ignore it pretty easily. It's the actual gameplay changes that have me questioning whether to purchase it.

I just want to reiterate that I am ambivalent about the real-money auction house, as I have said multiple times before. I don't know why I"m debating with you. I do think it's a lazy and opportunistic move. But I can't blame corporations for doing it if people are actually going to participate in it. It's the people who do participate in large money exchanges for virtual goods that make me despair. I am not one to blame free business for taking advantage of opportunities I think. But I *am* one to judge western society for deciding to spend money on things like this. On this note:

I am not. But I *will* want to smack people who spend 100$ on in-game swords. They need to go to Somalia for a reality check and if they didn't exist we wouldn't be here debating that. So no, I'm not the arbiter of society. But I am the arbiter of my own soul, and that is how it categorizes people in this matter.

All said and done, in terms of gameplay, I think it won't affect the game much for me, and I may give it a try and see how it goes. On the other hand, if prices go overboard and a wide selection of the most interesting items are out of reach of people who aren't willing to commonly spend 10-20$ many times, I'll be disappointed. Hopefully we'd all get a decent chance at getting these items as random drops, and if that's the case, item prices will not be super high. i.e., the real money system would only be there if I am ready to spend 2$ to get an item I would have to spend 10 hours grinding to get.

Top Bottom