EVE online

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
I was surprised to not find a thread here about EVE.

Does nobody here play it?

I just downloaded the trial, and will start in on the tutorials tonight.

Anyone else up for it?

Eve is about as niche as you can get.

I've played it for 1-2 months per year since it came out. I'm pretty much a die-hard soloer in most MMOs, and Eve is REALLY built for guild ("corporation") play, so there's a limited amount of stuff I can do.

Honestly, I'm more into the 'idea' of Eve, it being the only truly sandbox MMO out there, than the actual gameplay of Eve.

I know a couple of people who are really into the happenings of EVE, but they don't play the game.
Hi.

Yeah, the geopolitics of EVE are way more interesting than actually putting in the time to play it. It's mostly just a pain in the butt. Or boring. Or both.

Eh, if you get overly butthurt about losing one warship, you probably a) didn't spend enough time on carebearing before you decided to venture into the combat of 0.0 and b) aren't a member of a major corp (lol).

1st rule of Eve - don't fly anything (under any circumstances) that you aren't willing to lose.

I was surprised to not find a thread here about EVE.

Does nobody here play it?

I just downloaded the trial, and will start in on the tutorials tonight.

Anyone else up for it?

I play it, quite a fun game but not one much for the pvp side of things.

My impression, before starting, was that I'd find the building / economic side attractive. Still doing tutorials, though. Sobthst may change

My impression, before starting, was that I'd find the building / economic side attractive. Still doing tutorials, though. Sobthst may change

The economy / industry aspect of the game is unparalleled. Many consider it a very strong, but passive, form of pvp, due to competitive aspect of it.

Here's a great poster / flowchart for "what there is to do" in Eve

"I'm going to try the trial, and if I like it I might consider playing it for ahwile but how much does it cost? I didn't see any prices."

Pretty sure the standard monthly is 15 dollars, not positive though. There are multiple ways to pay for your subscription, and I am one of the many who haven't actually paid RL currency for my sub in years. I pay using in game currency (isk) - you can either buy PLEX or game time codes (GTCs) from other players. It's not cheap, but once you get good at making money, that's basically how I play the game. I fiddle around, doing stuff I find at least somewhat entertaining, and pay for my sub that way =)

"I'm going to try the trial, and if I like it I might consider playing it for ahwile but how much does it cost? I didn't see any prices."

Pretty sure the standard monthly is 15 dollars, not positive though. There are multiple ways to pay for your subscription, and I am one of the many who haven't actually paid RL currency for my sub in years. I pay using in game currency (isk) - you can either buy PLEX or game time codes (GTCs) from other players. It's not cheap, but once you get good at making money, that's basically how I play the game. I fiddle around, doing stuff I find at least somewhat entertaining, and pay for my sub that way =)

You can pay about 15 dollars a month if you pick only a monthly subscription, or eleven dollars or so a month with a yearly subscription, with a lot of in between prices. Not only that, in the game, like Malachi said, isk can be used to buy PLEX, which fluctuates in prices; last year it was about 350 million for a card, and this year it's about 500 million or so. You won't be able to make that kind of cash in the first six months or so, unless you get really lucky or grind lots of isk, but once you can, you can essentially play the game for free and open up secondary accounts to use at the same time. :)

Advised, do not go mining right now if at all possible outside the new player systems; a mining barge killing event is going on right now till the end of May, so be careful.

The economy / industry aspect of the game is unparalleled. Many consider it a very strong, but passive, form of pvp, due to competitive aspect of it.

Here's a great poster / flowchart for "what there is to do" in Eve

That flow chart is really interesting. One of the things I especially love is that despite me spending weeks (on and off) reading up on EVE, I still don't recognize many of the terms there - it's a VERY deep game environment.

Realistically, if I were to spend about 1 hour per day, how long until I could expect to achieve the Tech 3 level of Production in that flow chart?

Don't sugar coat it - I'm not afraid to spend years in a game.

Yeah, I appreciate that about Eve as well - it's a nearly infinite learning curve.

The trick with Tech 3 production isn't going to be so much about time-investment as it is about access. Tech 3 stuff comes from wormholes, and wormholes are almost entirely run by small to medium sized corporations. So Tech 3 is inherently a group activity.

If you're interested in trying out industry - building up skills, researching up some blueprints, and then producing some product for a profit... the universal recommendation is to start with T1 ammo. It's constantly in high demand, and it's very easy to make good profits on it if you're willing to put in a little leg work / research (basically by selling it in areas that are a little off the beaten path, but still produce some demand). You can decide from there if that's fun or not for ya =)

Yeah, I appreciate that about Eve as well - it's a nearly infinite learning curve.

The trick with Tech 3 production isn't going to be so much about time-investment as it is about access. Tech 3 stuff comes from wormholes, and wormholes are almost entirely run by small to medium sized corporations. So Tech 3 is inherently a group activity.

If you're interested in trying out industry - building up skills, researching up some blueprints, and then producing some product for a profit... the universal recommendation is to start with T1 ammo. It's constantly in high demand, and it's very easy to make good profits on it if you're willing to put in a little leg work / research (basically by selling it in areas that are a little off the beaten path, but still produce some demand). You can decide from there if that's fun or not for ya =)

This is exactly what I'm interested in. thanks for the pointers!

I'm still going to complete all 5 career agents first, though.

I'm still making really stupid mistakes simply because I'm not used to the game yet. Like undocking and flying to the destination without first transferring the document from the Items pane to my ship's cargo hold :lol:

When I get back home today I will have finally trained Salvaging (up to level 3), I haven't done any salvaging yet so that will be interesting.

I'm still making really stupid mistakes simply because I'm not used to the game yet. Like undocking and flying to the destination without first transferring the document from the Items pane to my ship's cargo hold :lol:

I still do this. :crazyeye:

Tonight is my last night of the trial. I'm definitely going to re-up for a few months. The trick will be convincing wife that it's worth the money to keep me off the streets :)

I've spent the past few days station trading, with small forays into exploration. Exploration has been a complete waste of time despite traveling 6 to 8 jumps from a trading hub into .6 and .7 systems... nothing comes up on scans even though I'm deploying them in a tetrahedron... I suspect I'm doing it wrong, or my timing is off, or I need to train up higher skills.

Speaking of skills, this seems to be the aspect of the game that's most difficult to plan out. I've found no resources as intuitive or informative as Civ's tech tree, yet the skill tree is precisely analogous. I've found myself using my phone to look up stuff while ingame.

I'm waiting to hear back on an application to EveUniversity. I'm most interested in the free skill books, as I'm now at the point where they cost ~100kisk.

Exploration is typically best in lower security space, or around wormholes and nullsec. Best spots for them, personally. Also, good luck at EU, hope you enjoy. :)

So apparently they're going to make the game more flashy and combat crunchy/grindy?

I was just looking at some of the videos for the Inferno update, and that's what it seemed to me.

Depends on what you mean by that; you really have to take a look at the dev blogs and notes that they often host on the website, as well as the forums. They have a feature page on Inferno as well on the website.

I stopped playing over a year ago. I wasn't able to invest the time required to become self sufficient with PLEX, and a knew my available time was only going to dwindle. Too bad, because it's the only mmo I've ever been tempted by.

Top Bottom