I need my Civ Fix :(

Syntax Error

Prince
I think I need help. I'm now spending more time watching Maddjinn's LP than actually playing the game, since it shuts down my computer after an hour or so. I refuse to play the game until this issue gets resolved (or until I get a better rig). Until then, help me find ways to get my Civ (or civ-like) fix! Civ 5 was my first Civ game. Never knew that 4x games are so damn addictive!

Shut down Maddjinn to start. He's a legend.

Now start a new game on King, random civ on whatyouwant map.

Play! :)

I picked up Endless Space recently...
It's the only thing that has been able to pull me away from civ for quite some time

Shut down Maddjinn to start. He's a legend.

Now start a new game on King, random civ on whatyouwant map.

Play! :)
See, that's the thing. I can't quite play because it craps out on me. Shuts down my computer too!

Oops, a slight lag and we got this.

Syntax Error, what is your computer?

You can downgrade the graphics in Options, there are many ways to play around this problem.

If you have an Atari or Amiga, I can't help you.

I'm playing on everything low settings now. Still there. Vanilla didn't have this problem.

And that was on-topic ?
Endless Space is a good way to get your fix without actually playing Civ? And I would agree, it's a great game - relatively simple, but deep, engaging and slick. Very slick in fact. Mediocre AI (but we are used to that around here :p) and somewhat silly combat don't really hold it back.

Although I think GalCiv 2 is much closer to Civ. So maybe get your fix there?

Now that would certainly be an interesting read, CIV through the eyes of a CiV player. :D Looking forward to that "report".

By soon, I mean right about next week. Juggling multiple birthdays, work, and business does that to ya.

I've been wanting to get Endless Space. Is it really that great??

Anyway, what is the problem with your computer? Shutting down after an hour of gaming sounds like a hardware issue. Overheating could be at play, or the motherboard could be taking a dump. Do you have any other details for us to go off of - we gamers have had all sorts of problems with our computers, maybe we could help.

Anyway, what is the problem with your computer? Shutting down after an hour of gaming sounds like a hardware issue. Overheating could be at play, or the motherboard could be taking a dump. Do you have any other details for us to go off of - we gamers have had all sorts of problems with our computers, maybe we could help.

Endless Space is good, you lose interest slightly faster than Civ (depends on the player) but the space battles? WOW

I might return to some Total War games. I enjoyed Shogun quite a bit.

I will definitely check out Endless Space when I can though. However, I've been on a search for games that give me a lot of financial, political, and military control - akin to Victoria II - and have yet to find more than just one or two.

I will definitely check out Endless Space when I can though. However, I've been on a search for games that give me a lot of financial, political, and military control - akin to Victoria II - and have yet to find more than just one or two.

It's relatively simple, but very accessible, fun and slick. It's not a heavy-weight fighter, what they tried to do with the game, and for IMO succeeded, is to streamline the gameplay experience as much as possible, remove the bloat, but keep the sense of decision making and empire management. And while some specific details feel maybe a bit too simple, particularly the combat, the barebones diplomacy and the lack of ship variety, it's a wonderful game overall. And has probably the slickest interface ever, I just love it :D

Well, Civ 5 turns off my computer after a few minutes of playing (sub 100 turns). I like playing OCC, and even with the very small micro involved in that, I can't even make it to turn 100 uninterrupted. Funny thing is, in Vanilla, I never had this problem. What happens to me in there is that the AI leader screens get choppy, and that's that. It's easily remedied by setting the leader graphics to be the lowest. Now, I play on all low settings and it still happens (I left textures at high, since when I went bare minimum, I can't discern Desert from Plains tiles). Also, I have few games, (mainly just Heroes of Newerth and some others like Portal 2) and this is the only game that does that.

I own Vic 2, crusaders 2 and HoI 3, but I never got into them... For me its EU3 for that kinda thing all the way.

Check out EU3 chronicles, I go to it when I find civ not dense enough for my liking (currently played it to death though...)

Well, Civ 5 turns off my computer after a few minutes of playing (sub 100 turns). I like playing OCC, and even with the very small micro involved in that, I can't even make it to turn 100 uninterrupted. Funny thing is, in Vanilla, I never had this problem. What happens to me in there is that the AI leader screens get choppy, and that's that. It's easily remedied by setting the leader graphics to be the lowest. Now, I play on all low settings and it still happens (I left textures at high, since when I went bare minimum, I can't discern Desert from Plains tiles). Also, I have few games, (mainly just Heroes of Newerth and some others like Portal 2) and this is the only game that does that.

Hmm. That is odd. You're sure Civ is the only game it happens on? Have you played the others for extended periods?? Besides the basic reinstall and verify integrity, I really wouldn't know how to solve this. Uninstall every mod you have, try running in DX9 and DX11, see if either makes a difference..

Top Bottom