Is it bad luck, or somthing else?

McRoos

Warlord
I play as William on Emporer level.
I'm doing fine untill I reach the Industrial Era.

No Coal.
No Oil.
No Aluminium.

Does anyone think that there will be Uranium for me?

I doubt it.

Is this bad luck, or a twist of the game because you play on a "difficult level" and manage to do well?

I smell conspiracy!

Um, playing as netherlands should be the easiest civ to garner decent trades for those things.

Resources is normal.

My capital is in the middle of two Stone, two Silver and one Marble.
So early on, I was lucky.
Later on, Iron was far away.

So the tactics are to get rich and buy the stuff from CS's.

Other ideas?

well, since you are the Netherlands........ t-r-a-d-e

Well, you "can" influence to ally CS's for resources, but I meant netherlands UA to trade most of their luxuries away to AI civs while retaining benefits... unless you're in such a game as the AI doesn't even have biology or electricity yet... then I don't know why you're worried about it. Roll them with submarines, infantry, destroyers, artillery.

Things are simply very random in G&K - it's great.

Will your 2-4 neighbors all be tall wonder spammers or will they be warmongers? Maybe just a psycho-rexer who has 7 cities by the time you're putting up your 3rd.

Half my games, all the AIs go for religions... in the other half only one or a few do.

Resources are all over the place - sometimes a particular resource (one of the big 3 you mentioned - coal, oil, aluminum) is super rare and there are only a few on the entire map. Other times they're common.

It's a very good thing - how you adapt to different circumstances is one of the fundamental parts of the game.

Just get some from city-states and build some recycling centers. Yes it's a matter of luck - not so good in your case. :/

It's a very good thing - how you adapt to different circumstances is one of the fundamental parts of the game.

Disagree, especially as so many of those strategic resources are pretty much essential in G&K. I can absolutely get behind adding the option to make certain resources rare, but when (like in my game last night) you play yourself all the way into the atomic era only to discover that there are only two uranium resources on the entire map, and they're both smack in the middle of the other continent within range of the same Celtic city...

Yeah, Small map, but small is still supposedly good for 6 civs + CSs, and I run into similar issues with coal/aluminum/oil in nearly every game.

Disagree, especially as so many of those strategic resources are pretty much essential in G&K. I can absolutely get behind adding the option to make certain resources rare, but when (like in my game last night) you play yourself all the way into the atomic era only to discover that there are only two uranium resources on the entire map, and they're both smack in the middle of the other continent within range of the same Celtic city...

Yeah, Small map, but small is still supposedly good for 6 civs + CSs, and I run into similar issues with coal/aluminum/oil in nearly every game.

I honestly can't comment on uranium; I've had maybe 1 or 2 games in all my time with Civ 5 actually get to a point where it even matters, so I don't really have a good grasp the strategies related to it (other than "Celts get nukes, no one else does, Celts win"). Honestly it's times like these when I wish you could have a conversation with some other civs and be like "Celts have the only uranium - either we go to war or we're going to die."

For all the other resources, though, I have never had a game where I felt like the game was broken by resource distribution. Coal and Oil are the big ones, and you might have to wage some war or put a lot of effort into securing a CS relationship, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you really can't secure oil and your warmongering neighbor has plenty, then invest in AA gun research / production, for example.

In my last game on standard continents map with abundant resources CS had only source of coal on my entire continent with 3 +10 coal tiles. Everybody wanted to be his ally until I conquered him. Then they all DoW me.

You could try to buy that Celtic city before they figure out that they have the only uranium resources on the map. This might be impossible, and I've never tried it, but I think that it is at least an option. Just buddy up to the Celts and go to war with them last, after you've nuked everyone else. (so easy...)
Meh. I personally have terrible luck as far as most strategic resources, aside from horses sometimes and aluminum. So I adapt to not war until I am in the correct era and have access to the units that match whatever resources I have.
That balanced resources setting (can't remember its name) works nicely, too.

You could try to buy that Celtic city before they figure out that they have the only uranium resources on the map. This might be impossible, and I've never tried it, but I think that it is at least an option. Just buddy up to the Celts and go to war with them last, after you've nuked everyone else. (so easy...)
Meh. I personally have terrible luck as far as most strategic resources, aside from horses sometimes and aluminum. So I adapt to not war until I am in the correct era and have access to the units that match whatever resources I have.
That balanced resources setting (can't remember its name) works nicely, too.

Nah, at that point in the game I'd already befriended Russia (their main rival on that continent) a long time ago, so my relationship with the Celts wasn't too hot. ;)

I thought of the strategic balance setting earlier, so I'll have to try that out. I just remember never having to worry about it that much in vanilla, although I guess the strategic resources after iron weren't as crucial to success then either.

Top Bottom