Europa Universalis IV

MoreEpicThanYou

The most Epic.
I just got back from the livestream. :D

From what we know, infamy isn't important, the map system is similar to CK2, and it has a revolutionary trade system.

Paradox going to announce it at Gamescom.

Oh, and I guessed it. :p, Rome 2 dreamers! (Though I wanted Dark Ages...)

I would've preferred a new IP or Rome II, but I figured it would be EU4 after yesterday's hint.

I'm looking forward to it (and EvW) regardless.

EDIT: I notice one of the blurbs is "experience over 300 years" of gametime. EU3 is 1399-1821 (I think, never actually played that far), which is over 400. I wonder which direction they're trimming the timeline (probably the later end).

I'll take a completely uneducated guess and say 1453-1776. There are some screens set in 1445, so that's already wrong.

I probably won't be able to run it :p

As Luke said to my on Skype...

"waste of my life, stoopid paradox"

:lol: EUIV really didn't need to come out yet. We could've had another expansion.

I am not too fond of the 3d map either.

1399-1821 is the timeline after all the EU3 expansions.

Europa Universalis 3 is the Paradox strategy game i played most. I have CK 1 and 2, Vicky 1 and 2, HoI 1, 2 and 3. Yet I've almost played them nil. I wish i could give them more time, especially CK2, but it seems it takes me so much time to start being decent at a single strategy game that it seems within a single year there's only one I'll be really able to get into...

The small glimpse of EU4 we got didn't seem that different graphically. I guess they'll use the same engine, again.

At a glance, it looks like this game has on-map trade routes instead of the classic Trade Centers.

So, so, so happy right now :)

Okay, here's what we have so far:

Spoiler Scandinavia :

Spoiler Iberia :

Spoiler South coast of France :

Spoiler Denmark with UI :

Spoiler England with UI :

And this:

Strategy Informer said:
- Take your own decisions: Nation building is flexible: decide your own form of government, the structure of your society, trade politics and more. The possibilities are endless.
- Use your Monarch Power: Experience the new system of monarch power where your spread of choices is influence by the caliber of the man you have at the top. Do you have a warrior King? Then it is time to make war.
- Experience history coming to life: The great people and personalities of the past are on hand to support you. Thousands of historical events guide you, with unique different flavor depending on the country you play. Have more than a thousand historical leaders and over 4000 historical Monarchs at your disposal.
- The world is now your playground: Players can enjoy over 300 years of gameplay in a lush topographic map in full 3D. Lead any one of more than 250 countries that originally existed during the game’s extensive time span.
- Experience the all new trade system: The trade system adds a new dimension to the great trade empires of the period. Seize control of key ports to expand your trade, support it with your powerful fleet and the wealth of the world will flow to you.
- Bring out your diplomatic skills: Deeper diplomatic gameplay, with coalitions, threats, fleet basing rights and detailed support for rebels. Introducing unilateral opinions, a country may dislike you, but you can be neutral towards them.
- Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin, improved chat, new matchmaking server andsupport for a standalone server.
- Create your own history & customize your game: Europa Universalis IV gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire.

Some other stuff I've concluded in my short time of browsing about EU4 news:
-Notice how there are little dotted lines and ships in the screenshots? These are believed to show trade routes. That would fit in well with the "all new trade system" described above.
-The UI show the date in both screens as March 21, 1445. Which signals that the game begins before 1453, and I doubt it begins too much farther back from March 21, 1445. However, notice that in the England screen that there are two Irish nations fighting a battle. Unless this was engineered (possible) or some battles are already happening at game start (which I highly doubt) the game begins at least a few days before March 1445. A quick check on wiki shows that there really was nothing important enough to mandate a 1445 start. I think the game begins at least a few years before.
-On a similar note, the above lists the timeframe as "over 300 years" putting the end date in at least the 1740s. With this, I expect the game to end in 1789. While I would definitely like to have the game end after Napoleon's time, I do think that the Revolution and Napoleonic periods will be their own DLC.
-The relevant lines above make me think that there will be a more in-depth (CK2-like?) ruler/dynastic system.
-The UI itself: from left to right on top: treasury, manpower, stability, ?, prestige, personnel which I can't make out. I have no idea what the second line (the blue ribbon) is. Some scoring system maybe?

Open for discussion.

I am excited, although I probably won't get the game until a special edition with some DLCs included comes out, as from experience the release isn't exactly going to be feature-dense.

Maybe they cut down the timespan to better fit in with Crusader Kings II (ends 1453) and March of the Eagles (starts 1805).

I believe I ought to start preparing to update my computer in order to run it; I've heard only good things about Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings II.

I would have preferred an updated ancient age game, but this works too.

A 2013 release means we only have to wait until 2015 for all the delicious DLCs/expansions!

It is following the CK2 expansion model, so I wouldn't be surprised to see minor DLC in late 2013, larger maybe mid 2014?

Top Bottom