Sim City (4) Succession Session!

Mayor Germanicus12 returns to the city amidst cheering crowds, kissing women and shaking babies. Or is it the other way around... oh well, the people love me anyways.

Germanicus12's first order of business was to convince Major League Baseball to establish their next expansion team in Fort Consternation, when he offered to build the stadium and run it using the city's money, the Commissioner immediately approved the contract and thus the Fort Consternation Warriors began their season in Germanicus12 Stadium, entering the playoffs their first year and winning the World Series their 4th year. A quick success no doubt aided by the deep pockets of the city and the great support of the fans who live in the city.

Following the grand opening of the Stadium, the citizens demanded that a statue be built in their Mayor's likeness, naturally to rub it into MoreEpicThanYou's face, Germanicus12 relented and the Mayor graces Germanicus12 Stadium's grand entrance.

To broadcast the new team's games Germanicus12 built the TV station in the business district near the Stadium. The new station came complete with a news helicopter that could tape the games from above.

Of course Mayor Germanicus12 did not forget his roots or loyal supporters, he returned to his former industrial park, felt disgusted by the new beaches and highrises, but ignored them. He discovered the previous administrations had been neglecting the port facilities and they were overworked, so he built a new port to relieve the strain and included a new lighthouse on the island across the bay.

About the halfway during his administration the stink dudes, landfill officials paid him a visit whining that their landfill was near capacity, the mayor was tired of dealing with overflowing trash during his reign so he simply created a new recycling district to take off some of the volume. He hoped this would be enough.

It was near the end of his administration when he got a glamorous visitor at City Hall, Hollywood wanted a piece of Fort Consternation, and already had a plot chosen, the mayor quickly cut through the red tape and welcomed the actors and actresses to the greatest city in the world. Soon after he personally built the Hollywood sign to impress the bigwigs and hope they would spend even more money.

Apparently the people could not stop adoring their awesome mayor, they proposed another, more modern and grander statue, that puts all others to shame. "It only cost 55,000 they said, the city can afford it, they said." With 200,000 in the treasury who am I to refuse.

For no other reason than to rob another mayor of the opportunity Mayor Germanicus12 authorized a University to be built in Fort Consternation, he applied for and received a State Education Board approval and construction began on the University of CivFanatics-Fort Consternation extension.

Finally Mayor Germanicus12 leaves his key to the city under the pot near the front door of the Mayor's house and shook hands with weeping children and heartbroken women as he left in a simply pickup truck.

Not shown, a Stock Market was offered and built in the Stadium Business Zone, free using no city funds. Also, there was no real zoning outside current zoning laws. I only zoned higher in most areas. Expanded the road and rail network in the upper part of the map to supply the new port. Build a windmill to power the Island Lighthouse. Increased Education and Health in METY's suburb as well as the Beach section, though that one I left to my aide.

Fort Consternation

Population: 120,929 (+14,894) (Must have heard about a certain awesome mayor.)
Funds: §83,875 (-§10,270) (Would have been a bit over 200,000 had I not gone on a spending spree in the last few months of my term.)
Mayor Approval: 11/12 (Thank you great Citizens, for showing your support!)

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 63
Nice. I particularly like the location of the stadium. I'd forgotten that a TV station had been offered while I was mayor, but it works out well the way you have it.

What is the Hollywood building?

Now if only those university folk could figure out a way to have hills on campus instead of putting the whole place on stilts so it's flat...

Thorgalaeg, AKA the beach crusader, return to office after a long time of deep introspection in an isolated six stars hotel at Copacabana beach, or like some evil rumors say, after spending the last nickel looted from the city arks.

A quick look was enough to see there were not beaches enough, however the first thing to do was to extend the sewer system to the new suburban zone, because we are not at the medieval age anymore.

After such humanitarian gesture, Thorgalaeg look for more important things to do: so, building another beach in his beloved residential zone. Some of the skyscrapers seems abandoned due too long commuting times, which is curious since the building just at the other side of the street show low commuting times. Since nothing is too much for the mayor prefered zone, aditional train stations and bus stops are built trying to solve the problem. In order to not mess it up even more, medium density zones are added to complete the beachfront.

A day a guy which is supposed to be the utilities advisor said that the landfill is full, no problemo, a waste to energy plant is built. It is near to the coast but mayor doesnt care, since he dont like the eastern coast that much.

Having too much cash to waste, a zoo is built at some random place near central park. Sadly it takes a lot of space and an important avenue cant be interconnected, to do so a nice spa full of pretty girls should be obliterated, but it is sooo nice...

The next thing to do is to somewhat fix the transit system which seems a bit kafkian, with lots of roads and rails going nowhere. Sadly a big building was bulldozed (particularly an ugly brown one full of ugly poor people) but finally we have a rail system going somewhere!

The industry is also expanded, and aditional cargo and passengers rail stations are built. Boring...

Now comes the interesting part: Since building things in the remaining flat zones is too easy for Thorgalaeg´s prodigious mind, he decides to move mountains. Using a curious technique learned from ancient manuscripts, several terraces are built at the western hill, and then commercial and residential zones are added.

The western railroad loop is also completed:

Wow! However the shorted minded have questioned safety in this school at the border of the abyss:

Finally since there is too much money to loot, Thorgalaeg decides to spend a bit of it building some sort of expensive Research Center at the top of the hill so everybody can see how well invested his money is.

Fort Consternation

Population: 165,485 (+44,556) Not too bad, uh?
Funds: §81,553 (about -§2000 and something) (i am too lazy for more calculations) So Peck can build things too this time.
Mayor Approval: 11/12 People like me. I cant blame them.

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.7z
    6.9 MB · Views: 53
BTW, how do you guys do to build hi-tech industries? All industries i build turn in some kind of disgusting pigsty.

Ah. Thanks. So if you build them near dirty industries it will turn dirty itself. So the only solution is to bulldozer everything and start from zero i guess.

Or build them in a different part of the city. For most of my games I have one part of town that is dirty/manufacturing (I tax dirty at 20% as a cash cow) and then, later on, I will build a part of town that becomes a high-tech hub.

I think our city could get serious money taxing polution.

Ops, i forgot to upload the saved game!

Ah. Thanks. So if you build them near dirty industries it will turn dirty itself. So the only solution is to bulldozer everything and start from zero i guess.

Madviking has the right idea. Generally, I find that you need at least an elementary school and a high school, plus obviously good water, power, and industrial connections to neighbors. You can also plop down some plazas or parks near the edge of your industrial zone to increase the land value, and a few of them will convert to high-tech industries. I also really like the look of medium plazas interspersed in high-tech industry, so that works well for me. Some unique buildings like the research centers also increase the appeal for high-tech industry in a city.

Ooh, money in the bank!

Is it my turn again already? I'll try and get something up tomorrow- unless of course any lurkers out there are interested in taking over for a spell? Now's the perfect time (from a rota perspective) to join in!

Go on! What's the worst that could happen?

I'd love to join in, but I can't until I get back home in may and regain access to my SC4 disc.

Using streets to make flat terrain actually works? Why didn't I think of that.

I would like to join in, but I only have access to a computer that can play SimCity 4 on the weekends. If, on the other hand, that is not an issue, and if you lot are fine with someone who has never had a city break 50,000 take over this place, then I may very well be perfect for this thing.

+44,000? Very nice. It doesn't look like you even zoned that much more residential. Guess that means those transit improvements and new industry are really paying off.

We've still got 14% dirty industry tax unless someone's changed it. I thought that'd be enough to discourage new dirty industry; guess not. I debated bulldozing the old dirty industry zone in my last session, but the income it provides is nice.

I won't be able to take a turn until Monday (and have never played a city over 100K), so I'm OK with mythmonster2 joining.

Of course i am OK with it too. The more the better!

@Quintillus, i think most of the population increment came after providing water to the large suburban jungle built by METY.

Sounds good to me, mythmonster, you can slot into the rota wherever it happens to be at the weekend (coincidentally,I think it takes just under a week to get through everyone's turns anyway so this works surprisingly well)

@Thorgalaeg, Quintillus: Funny you should mention that; the huge increase in population during my last term was despite any real zoning on my part- railways and better transport accounted for a lot of that, as well as the maturing of the beach development. I'll still claim credit for it though :p

Also, if I should end up playing, in addition to the NAM, I also personally play with a mod that changes the water color, the Census Building mod, and the Hole Digger Lot mod. I'm assuming the graphics mod should be fine to play with, but the other two only have effects if I plop the respective buildings, IIRC. Should I remove those from my mod folder?

Top Bottom