Game of the Year

VOTE - HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3

I think out of every game that i have ever played, i have played HOMM3 the most. Its simplicity was what made it. It did that rare thing - managed to grow after release into one of the best supported games of the decade by online communities. This was due in large part to the inclusion of its map editor, which has spawned hundreds and thousands of user created maps. It also had a random map generator, which basically makes the game almost infinitely playable.

Honourable mention for 1999 goes to system shock 2 and freespace 2. System shock, the spiritual ancestor of bioshock, was one of the scariest games i have ever played. The part of Shodans reveal still gives me the creeps. Also, freespace 2 is arguably STILL the premier space shooter out there. It had a tremendous amout of staying power and is often cited as the best of the genre of all time.

Planescape torment. Now there is a game i have never played, but really ought to. Might get the enhanced edition from overhaul if they ever get around to it.

*harkl hrkl huffnnnnnhh*

The dark ages now then..?

I think we should continue to 2013 :) (or start a game of the noughtys thread)

Just thought i should mention as it was nominated and possibly voted - system shock 2 is 75% off on steam and you can pick up some decent mods for it too. In UK money its £1.74, so well worth picking up.

Why to stop here? Lets continue until 2013. We could even include the 80s (however only the more venerable of us would have a clue... :old: )

Nice to see you guys are still going strong despite my absence! I'm kind of on hiatus right now, got swamped at work, busy with holidays. I will try to return in two weeks when I go on vacation for Christmas. Apologies for not updating the main thread, but it looks like the spirit of the thread rings true- discussing the merits of our favorite old time games.

It's back! After super long holiday hiatus I finalized the votes for 98 and added nominees for 99.

Some GREAT games in 99 I kinda forgot about. Probably going to be smash bros for me.

I saw x-wing alliance got mentioned but personally never liked it that much, despite tie fighter and original x-wing being some of my favorites. I didn't like the mission design, there was one I could never get past and I didn't like being a smuggler guy at the beginning and forced to fly a freighter. Could have been a sweet game with some tweaks.

It's back! After super long holiday hiatus I finalized the votes for 98 and added nominees for 99.

Some GREAT games in 99 I kinda forgot about. Probably going to be smash bros for me.

I saw x-wing alliance got mentioned but personally never liked it that much, despite tie fighter and original x-wing being some of my favorites. I didn't like the mission design, there was one I could never get past and I didn't like being a smuggler guy at the beginning and forced to fly a freighter. Could have been a sweet game with some tweaks.

Happy New Year to you!

I think we might have finished 99. At least i have already voted. Bring on the noughty's!

frankly i never liked the idea of picking a GOTY at the end of every year. a truly good game or work of "art"(subjective yes) should be able to stand the test of time. that is , it should still seem influential to future generations of gamers or have some cultural and technical significance even in hindsight. therefore imho, no game "younger" than 10 years old should ever be voted game of the year for the year it's published, but should be voted in at least 10 years after mass publication. i doubt any journalist or media outlet would give a damn about my opinion though.

Ok I'll try! Planescape torment won in a landslide for 99 so on to 2000. Going to be a hard year for me personally, I've played very few. But there are some notable ones I've heard of I'm sure won't disappoint.

Zelda Majora's mask, Diablo 2, Baldur's gate 2, Shogun total war, Icewind dale, none of which I've played. I guess my vote will probably be for Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance since I actually played it a lot lol.

Baldur's Gate II, of course. Much longer that its predecessor, with better mechanics and featuring the mysterious Jon Irenicus.

Some other notable ones from 2000: Deus Ex, Counter-Strike(full commercial release) and The Sims.

I hardly played any of the big names for this year very much either.

So my vote has to go to Shogun: Total War.

Only other games from that year I could see that I played alot would be Patrician 3 and Hitman Codename 47, also good games.

Going to join in on the vote for Baldur's Gate II. Baldur's Gate was already a great game, but Baldur's Gate II defined Bioware's style (party interaction, romance option, specific plot arcs for most or every possible party members, etc) for the decade and a half that followed. And for good reasons.

Plus the plot was better, the gameplay was better, the monsters were better (dragons!), the character options were better, the world was so much larger and more alive, the quests were better, etc, etc, etc.

hmmm knowing all that maybe I'll skip 1 altogether and just play 2 when I'm in the mood for old classics.

Should we just make baldur's gate 2 the winner and move on?

Top Bottom