Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah - Ethiopian CK2 AAR

SuperBeaverInc.

Groucho
Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah
An Ethiopian Crusader Kings II AAR

Back in August in the main CK2 thread, someone suggested I do an AAR. So I decided I would take a shot at it. With 478 hours of CK2 experience I needed to make it something a bit challenging. After looking through some of my options I settled on Ethiopia. Ethiopia provides a decent challenge initially, and I've never tried playing them before, so I could easily totally screw things up.

Settings:

Version Vanilla v.1.1111
Difficulty Hard
Enabled DLC Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, The Republic, The Old Gods
Starting Character King Anbasa I Wedem Solomonid of the Solomonid Dynasty

I decided on hard difficulty as I wanted it to be somewhat challenging, but I hate the very hard setting where fighting wars just becomes torturous. Hard difficulty gives the AI +10% tax, +0.25 army morale, +50% levy reinforcement rate, and 50% attrition. All of the large DLC, as well as most of the cosmetic DLC is activated. I decided to include Sunset Invasion, because why not. Adds a little fun and wackiness into the mix in the form of bloodthirsty Aztecs.

Tables of Contents

Prelude

The year is 867. The Karlings rule half of Europe, Vikings are terrorizing and raiding throughout Britain, and Byzantium is on its slow decline to its own demise in a few centuries time. But forget all that, cause we are Ethiopia and all we need to worry about is our own survival. The current rulers of Ethiopia are the Solomonid dynasty, who claim lineage to King Solomon. Hence the name, and the whole "Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah" thing.

We've been hanging about in our mountainous homeland for a while now, but there is a problem. And that problem is that we are the David to the entire Muslim world's Goliath. Sure, David did win that one time, but the thing with underdogs is they tend to lose more often than not. And there was only one Goliath. There is only one person fit to take command of this situation and lead the Ethiopian people to greatness. And that one man is this guy:

Disclaimer: It will probably actually take more than one guy to achieve greatness. Unless he lives forever, which would be totally awesome. Well, not awesome, as his stats aren't that great. But awesome in the sense that it would be totally unusual for a guy to live 500 years.

Anbasa I Wedem is Ethiopian, naturally. It would be kind of silly for him to by French. He is also a Miaphysite Christian. Can't really say much about Miaphysites, aside from the fact that it allows us to intermarry with the Catholics and Orthodox families of Europe since we are only filthy heretics and not filthy heathens. So that is good I guess.

His diplomatic, steward, intrigue, and learning skills leave much to be desired. But he does make a decent military leader, which will be very important if Ethiopia is to survive past next Monday. No wife, no kids, and one brother. And even though the game has yet to be unpaused I am already trying to figure out how best to murder him. Cause I know he is planning the same thing.

But enough about my future plans to commit immoral deeds. This is CK2 after all, there will be plenty of that to come. It's time to survey the world around. Ethiopia is not what one would call friendly terrain.

That is good, however, as I am surrounded by people that aren't my friends, and I have no intention of inviting them over for dinner. Unless said dinner involved me poisoning them. The key to survival for Ethiopia lies in the fact that the land will kill just as many invaders as our armies will. Just getting here you will have to march through an inhospitable desert. Then when you arrive you are greeted by the Ethiopian Highlands, a series of mountains that span most of the country. The key to success is embracing the fact that the best offence is a good defence. And pointy swords. Those are important too.

Now, at this point you may be thinking that the countryside looks pretty bleak. And you are right! But just wait until you check out the geopolitical situation.

Wow, we're screwed! The nearest Christian nation, and therefore potential ally is the Byzantine Empire and the Duchy of Armenia. And between us and them is the Tulunid Sultanate in Egypt and the Abbasid Caliphate in the Levant. On the plus side, Nubia and Hayya to the north are both Miaphysites, and shouldn't be too hard to convince to join in on our futile struggle for survival. As it so happens, Armenia starts off being ruled by Miaphysites. But I don't expect them to last very long. Which is good, as there can only be one.

On the religious front, two of the five Miaphysite holy sites start controlled by friendly forces. Axum and Makuria are held by me and Nubia respectively, while Alexandria, Jerusalem, and Antioch need to be recovered.

Look at all that green! We are so screwed! But surely a nation as proud and historic as Ethiopia will be able to field a mighty force of fighting men capable of killing other forces of fighting men who are of a slightly less mighty nature.

Oh...well then.

Back in August in the main CK2 thread, someone suggested I do an AAR.

Me!

And having read what I just read, my request was well-founded. If I actually checked my subs and used them, I would totally sub this.

Otherwise, will impatiently check in daily. Good luck!

Me!

And having read what I just read, my request was well-founded. If I actually checked my subs and used them, I would totally sub this.

Otherwise, will impatiently check in daily. Good luck!

I'll do the first update tomorrow. After that, how often I update will probably depend partly on how often people actually comment. But I'll try for at least once a week in the worst case scenario.

Ethiopia?

Good luck, and godspeed.

Chapter I - On Harer Majesty's Secret Service
January 1, 867 to May 29, 874

To begin with, I shall describe everyone's favourite subject. Administrative details! Begin by increasing crown authority from minimal to low. What is the point of being king if I can't boss my vassals around? After all, I may be smarter, more important, and handsomer than any of them, but what is the point if I can't control them like puppets?

After that, I increase feudal vassal levies to maximum. The survival of Abyssinia will rely on military might, so I need as many fighting men as I can get my hands on. Once I am able to again I will increase city and church levies as well. I already make a decent monthly income, about 3 gold per month to start, so increasing taxes isn't too important.

I also need a wife. I could marry one of the local Ethiopian noblewomen, but they are probably all awful. Instead I look to Europe. Because as the saying goes, once you go black, you never go back, since you are now in Ethiopia and travel in this era is difficult at best. Thus returning home would probably be more effort than it is worth, what with all the bandits, pirates, hostile deserts, and uppity peasants. It also raises the question of how she managed to get here alive in once piece to begin with. I am beginning to suspect that she may weigh the same as a duck.

Sure, she may only be the daughter of some lousy count, but she possesses the one thing I am looking for in a woman right now; the ability to handle money. A wife with good steward skill will increase my income a bit and provide a nice boost to my demesne limit.

Now, finally, time for some war! To my east is the Shirazid Emirate, who control Harer. This land rightfully belongs to Abyssinia, so it is a priority to take it. In addition, taking it will get rid of a potential secondary front I would have to fight on if I am attacked by my Sunni neighbours. There are two options for a casus belli. Holy war or de jure claims. De jure claims have to be fought one at a time, while the holy war can be used on the entire emirate, but can also potentially bring in other Sunni rulers. Luckily, the Rassids in Yemen are Shia, so they won't care, making it safe to holy war the Shirazids with no possible repurcussions.

Harer is divided between the eastern fringe of the Ethiopian Highlands in the west, and a desert in the east. The key to the battle is to seize control of the province of Harer and hold it against enemy attack.

Immediately fate hands me a lucky break, as the Shirazid emir abandons Harer and marches his army east to assemble in Berbera. And because of the fact that if you go south you will apparently fall off the edge of the world, he has no way of flanking me or getting around my army, and must attack it head on once I have occupied his capital if he wishes to win.

The decisive battle of the war is fought in Zeila. Two equally matched armies in terms of numbers, both with about 1,500 men. However the Ethiopians are led by superior generals, and have an advantage of defending in mountainous terrain. The battle also proves to be a valuable learning experience for King Anbasa, where he picks up the unyielding trait, which can potentially be invaluable in future campaigns.

With that victory and the successful capture of Harer, the Abyssinians are victorious and capture Harer. Since I don't want that land for myself, it is distributed among landless Ethiopian nobles and formed into a new Duchy of Harer. This is a very important strategic victory for Ethiopia, as this new duchy will supply a ton of manpower in the future.

In other news, my half-brother, Prince Dil Na'od died a natural poison induced death. It is truly tragic. What kind of person would just go around poisoning their own brother? Some kind of monster, clearly.

As I am his heir I inherit all of his land. But do I even want it? Every time I look at it I'll just be reminded of that time I gave some guy some money, and he ended up poisoning my brother on my instructions. I guess I'll just have to keep it. It's what he would of wanted. Maybe.

Oh, and a couple of vassals got all ambitious and declared war on me, but I crushed them and threw them in jail. But that is to be expected when dealing with smelly counts.

Anyway, enough about the time I murdered my own brother and imprisoned my vassals. Across the Gulf of Aden lies Yemen, ruled by the Rassid Emirate. It is my next best option for expansion, and they are under attack. Since they are Shia Muslims, their Sunni neighbours have ganged up on them.

This aggression will not stand. I can't simply stand back and watch these other nations bully the Rassids and take their stuff. As a result, I declare war on the Rassids and try to grab as much of their stuff as I can.

See what I mean about the manpower from Harer? It provided 2,000 men. That was more than what I started with.

But the thing with this war is, it's not entirely about grabbing land. I'm also using it as a scouting mission. To the north of Yemen is the Muslim holy cities of Mecca and Medina, ruled by the Hashimid Emirate. In the short term they are probably my biggest rival. And since they are the primary aggressor against the Rashids, this gives me a good opportunity to check out what they have in terms of manpower.

They were able to bring 6,400 men along on their invasion of Yemen. Those of you who have taken any sort of math course in their lives will probably be able to recognize that 6,400 is indeed a larger number than 3,400. But don't worry about that. I have some tricks up my sleeve that make 3,400 ≥ 6,400.

The war naturally comes to an end with a Rassid defeat. The Hashimids take control of most of Yemen, but I gain control of Aden, and a small barony in Taizz.

So where does that leave us? Right here:

With a showdown with the Hashimids looming on the horizon, Abyssinia needs to prepare itself. The county of Hayya willingly accepted our offer of vassalization, leaving only the Kingdom of Nubia between us and the Tulunids. I plan on leaving them alone for now, as they provide a nice buffer state against a potential enemy. Going on the offensive from this point on may prove difficult, and may depend on whether or not the Abbasids decide to get involved in any holy wars I launch. Hopefully the Byzantines and Persians can keep them occupied.

Fairly standard start to Harer. Good job on getting a foothold in Yemen already, normally my Yemeni incursions are delayed a bit comparatively speaking.

Poor thing about your brother. He seemed so nice and trustworthy.

I'm really interested in seeing this progress, as this would be the first CK2 AAR I've read. This should be quite challenging, almost as much as Mali. I have no suggestions, just giving a vote of enjoyment and encouragement. :)

I'll keep reading this. :)

I'm enjoying it too - I've started my own AAR on the Paradox forums (though the more conventional Wessex start), but into the mid-900s there was too much happening to go into this amount of detail, particularly for long weekend sessions, and I still have to update for yesterday's (which saw the destruction of the Byzantine Empire,the Catholic conversion and subsequent near-eradication of Norway, the conversion of Finland, multiple wars for Aquitaine, a war to place a Wessex on the throne of Lotharingia, the formation of the Kingdom of Britannia, the accidental breakup of Denmark-Germany, a change of English monarch and too many deaths and feuds among vassals to remember most of them. All in a period of 50 years or so.

Chapter II - Degna Django Unchained
May 29, 874 to August 22, 884

We start chapter two exactly how I'm sure each and every one of you predicted. It was so obvious that I'm sure even people who are unfortunate enough to not get to read this AAR even knew what was going to happen.

Shocking. The Hashimids have come calling, and they are looking to take Aden from me. As you may remember from last time, I mentioned that they had a significant numerical advantage over me, and this is on hard difficulty, so they have more morale. How can I ever possibly defeat them?

The solution to that is the same as it often is in life regardless of your problem. Be rich. If I hadn't been cutting down on the size of the screenshots, thereby cropping out the top right info bar, you would see that this entire time I have been saving up my money, and at the time this war starts I am probably sitting around 600 gold. Ethiopia, and by extension Nubia, has access to two mercenary companies, the Abyssinian Band and the Nubian Band. How creative.

Anyway, I only anticipate that I will need one of these mercenaries for this war, as each one consists of 2,250 men. Combined with my regular levies that should be enough to defeat the Hashimids. And I'm not alone, as this is a holy war.

Since Nubia neighbours me and is Miaphysite, we are naturally best friends. At least when our religious enemies are involved. This adds in several hundred more men to the total forces. It will take both armies some time to assemble, so for now I send everyone over to Aden to get together into one army and assign generals.

Though the weird thing with King Anbasa is that he seems to really like war. Seriously. Two months after the Hashimids declare war, his wife announces she is pregnant. Keep in mind that in CK2 the pregnant trait doesn't become visible for a little while after conception, and the dates start to line up rather convienently. So...yeah.

But that isn't all that King Anbasa has been up to. He has been a very busy man. At around the same time, the Abbasid Caliph mysteriously dies a death that is very similar to that of Prince Dil No'ab of Abyssinia. If King Anbasa ever offers you wine, do not accept.

But why kill the Caliph? What possible strategic goal could that have? It was simply to show everyone that I could. Now, you may be wondering, how can I show everyone I could if I do it in such a way that no one finds out? And to that I say, shut up and let me have my fun. It could also destabilize them, so that is good too, I guess.

While King Anbasa is off being a sociopathic murderer and besieging towns in Yemen waiting for the Hashimids to show up, his wife gives birth to their first son.

I have to thank the random name generator for giving me a name that was so easy to work into my movie title themed chapter names. Makes my job so much easier when things like that happen. Nothing really special about him. He's not a genius or attractive, but he's also not an imbecile or anything. So that's good.

But we have a war to get back to. The Hashimids finally show up after all of that other stuff went down. The pivotal showdown occurs at the Battle of Dhala, just outside of Aden. 7,400 Ethiopians attack 4,500 Hashimids, resulting in a decisive Abyssinian victory.

You may be wondering what happened to those 6,400 Hashimids we saw earlier. It would seem that what my scouting failed to pick up on was that those forces seen during the initial conquest of Aden was apparently the regular Hashimid army combined into one with about 2,000 mercenaries.

This was further confirmed when an army of 2,400 men with the title Army of Captain Somethingorother came marching through northern Yemen after the Battle of Dhala has already been won. So with the main army and mercenary army defeated, the Abyssinians win the war.

The Hashimids are forced to pay me 465 gold, which is always good. Also got some prestige and piety, which is good too.

But before the peace treaty was signed, another child was born. This time a daughter.

King Anbasa really likes war.

But now that the war is over, what is King Anbasa to do to fill the void that is boring peace time. Naturally, he starts impaling people on poles. So now it may actually be a better idea to accept the wine that King Anbasa offers you.

All of that happened by the end of 878. The following six years were nothing but administrative details, upping the city and church levies, defeating Monophysite heretics, other boring things like that. It is tempting to try to attack the Hashimids to take Yemen from them now that we have demonstrated our superiority to them. The only problem is the Abbasids will show up to slap me around if I do.

As of 884, my personal levies are about 1,125, vassal levies are 4,546, I have a retinue of 500, and can hire up to 4,500 mercenaries. In total that is just over 10,000 men at my disposal. While the Hashimids can only field 4,000 to 6,000 men, I anticipate that the Abbasids are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000 to 20,000, at a minimum.

An obvious solution to this problem would be to seek out alliances. The only real possibly helpful one would be with the Byzantines, which would be good as the Abbasids are a common enemy.

Or I could just wait until the Abbasids declare war on the Hashimids. Which just happened in August of 884...

Chapter III - The Shiashank Redemption
August 22, 884 to November 18, 901

With the Abbasids and Hashimids engaged in battle, this presents the perfect opportunity to launch an attack on Yemen and bring it into the Kingdom of Abyssinia. The only person to come to their aid are the Sunni rulers of Oman, but they are so insignificant that I didn't even bother to look at what their name was.

The campaign did not go well for King Anbasa himself though. Already infirm, his health deteriorated and eventually he became incapable, forcing one of his vassals to step in to be regent.

On the plus side, with the Hashimid forces distracted by the superior might of the Abbasids and more or less wiped out, there was no meaningful resistance to the Abyssinian invasion. Yay teamwork! An army from those guys in Oman showed up and was crushed, but that was it. After occupying Yemen and making it as far as Mecca, the Hashimids finally surrender and the Duchy of Sanaa is successfully conquered.

At this point a strategic decision needs to be made going into the future. There are three routes for expansion in the future. North into Egypt, northeast into Arabia, or east into Oman.

In the north the Nubians are currently operating as a buffer against the Tulunids in Egypt. The Tulunids themselves aren't that powerful, but holy warring them may be difficult since they neighbour the Abbasids.

To the northeast the Hashimids have been defeated multiple times and present no challenge to my authority. But they do hold two Sunni holy sites, Mecca and Medina, and the neighbouring Sunni powers would not be at all happy if I take those.

Finally to Oman in the east. Taking and holding Oman would be strategically a bad choice, as it is far away from the majority of my realm, so getting my armies there to attack or defend it would take time. And it would also give me a border with both the Abbasids and the Saffarids, which would be a bad thing.

While contemplating these things, the game decided to throw me a curveball. The Shia reformation kicks off. Normally I don't pay much attention to this, as it usually happens in Morocco in my games. I actually more or less ignored it this time as well, not noticing what had happened until a while later. This time, however, the Tulunids got overthrown by the Abisalomids, who established a new Shia Caliphate in Egypt which now controls everything between Egypt and Tunis.

An enemy with no potential allies? Sign me up!

Obviously it is time to push north. Not only will the Abisalomids have to fight me one on one, but they are incredibly unstable with various Sunni vassals. Since the Shia and Sunni hate each other, the Abbasids would never come to their defense. And if I want to form the Abyssinian Empire, I need to get a hold of the title of Kingdom of Egypt anyway.

But before any plans for expansion can be put into place, King Anbasa dies. His son rises to the throne as King Degna II Djan, since his grandfather was the first Degna Djan.

King Degna II is only 14 when this happens, so a regent is put in place. Once his education is finished however...

...he turns out to be somewhat disappointing. He obviously did not inherit his father's military skill.

He will also need a wife. The obvious choice was to attempt to arrange a marriage between him and the youngest daughter of the Byzantine Emperor. But since this is hard difficulty, the game artificially adds an extra negative opinion modifier on the marriage chance, making it impossible to get that marriage done and get an alliance.

So after a few years of searching, a suitable candidate is found. Barbara Pakourianos, the daughter of a Greek count. She is a bit of a genius, even though her stats aren't great.

But that is not all that I was up to in that time. Continuing a proud family tradition, King Degna II had an Abbasid Caliph assassinated. Unlike his father, however, he was successful in destabilizing the Abbasids thanks to a well timed Byzantine invasion. A civil war began which the Caliph lost and had his title usurped. The Byzantines also took the Duchy of Aleppo fairly easily. Yay teamwork!

Along with not inheriting his father's military prowess, he also doesn't seem to share his..."enthusiasm" for warfare. As not long after getting married he has his first son, even though there are no wars going on. A son named Degna Djan, who has inherited the genius trait of his mother and the name of his father. Assuming that there are no unfortunate accidents or murders the future leadership of Abyssinia is looking good. But this being CK2, the odds of my enemies arranging an unfortunate accident or murder is incredibly likely. Especially if the Abbasids ever figure out who it is that keeps killing their Caliphs.

So now the realm's present and future are secured. It's past is still missing, but we are looking for it. It's time to press onwards and continue to improve the greatness of the Ethiopian people by attacking another group of Ethiopian people.

Top Bottom