Top (insert number)most underrated RPG or JRPG ever!

H4run

Deity
Good (morning/afternoon/evening) civilization fanatics, I currently still seeking for a good rpg and jrpg to play now and in the future, the current top 5 rpg I thought don't deliver a new title, but it is successful in the terms that it able to voice the gamers voice regarding their view of their own top 5 or top 10 or top 20 rpg.

In this forum I expected to see more fresh titles to come out.

I played quite huge amount of pc rpg, but I don't consider myself to have an average knowledge than the gamers in this forum, except for JRPG. So I will contributed on that one instead.

1. Breath of fire2: Brutally underrated, one of the most glorious jrpg ever for me. Even it is much better than breath of fire 3.
2. Front Mission 3: I don't know if it is JRPG or not, but lets call it JRPG. And it is so popular in Japan however doesn't get the audience that it deserve outside of Japan.
3. Legend of Mana: this gems, simply beautiful, and awfully underrated.
4. Saga Frontier: another JRPG gems that is underrated.
5. Brigandine Legend of Forsena: same like Front Mission 3, I don't know if we can really call it JRPG, but lets call one, shall we? and it is highly underrated and still have its small amount but loyal fans till now. (it surpise me also in this game how the Japanese highly interest with Bilbical mythology also western mythology.

hard for me to pick any underrated games, since i don't really care about what the game press says, or ever chec on the sales records of games.

thank you! you may consider a good game that is not popular as underrated ;)

I've never read or heard anyone say that Legend of Mana was overrated. It may have just not been as popular as other games, I dunno. I played it on a friend's PS1 and really enjoyed it. Sword of Mana for the GBA was fun too, although it didn't have the neat feature of LoM where you placed down new regions on a grid, which iirc could unlock different areas depending on how you arranged them.

I liked the fantasy world they created for the games.

It's the same as my other top 5 or top 10 list. :) Most of those games while decently popular, will never be as popular as games like Skyrim, Oblivion (which I really didn't care for), or Diablo games. Hell, even Dragon Age 2 outsold Dragon Age:Origins, Fallout 3 outsold Fallout: New Vegas. Most of those games on my list were not big sellers.

I've never read or heard anyone say that Legend of Mana was overrated. It may have just not been as popular as other games, I dunno. I played it on a friend's PS1 and really enjoyed it. Sword of Mana for the GBA was fun too, although it didn't have the neat feature of LoM where you placed down new regions on a grid, which iirc could unlock different areas depending on how you arranged them.

I liked the fantasy world they created for the games.

Of course it never be consider overrated I agree with you, it is underrated, in my point the market doesn't give to legend of mana equal or equivalent attention and appreciation in comparison to the quality that they present.

It's the same as my other top 5 or top 10 list. Most of those games while decently popular, will never be as popular as games like Skyrim, Oblivion (which I really didn't care for), or Diablo games. Hell, even Dragon Age 2 outsold Dragon Age:Origins, Fallout 3 outsold Fallout: New Vegas. Most of those games on my list were not big sellers.

mmm I consider underrated games as a good games that don't get much attention and popularity that they arguably should have. DAO even though it is far more superior than DA 2, but they are in no way underrated, but we may consider DA2 could be overrated (you know better the argument better than me, or someone like Zack or Akka)

I consider underrated game is a game like Alundra for example, not everybody know Alundra, but it is one of the best adventure game in PS it even comparable to Zelda, not in the terms of popularity but in the terms of gameplay. How about final fantasy 9? Or Legend of Dragoons? I think both of the games should get more attention than what they already had.

I could mention Arcanum. And while I did like some things in that game, I didn't like it as much as other people. Neverwinter Nights 2 and the first expansion didn't get much credit either I don't think.

how about dark messiah of might and magic? seriously never heard that game before not after I read this article:

http://gamentrain.com/ten-underrated-rpgs-of-the-last-decade/#.Uu7C4LSGPzE

It seem have a list of quite interesting game, and he also put front mission as one of the most underrated rpg (I never played front mission 4, but front mission 3 is a very good game, you should try it). And most of the game that he mentions I never heard it before, maybe because it mostly from the new console games that I never had.

I could mention Arcanum. And while I did like some things in that game, I didn't like it as much as other people.

Oh, I think Arcanum is highly valued by the crowd, which liked the old Fallout titles.
But true, in general it would have deserved a bit more praise.

how about dark messiah of might and magic? seriously never heard that game before not after I read this article:

http://gamentrain.com/ten-underrated-rpgs-of-the-last-decade/#.Uu7C4LSGPzE

It seem have a list of quite interesting game, and he also put front mission as one of the most underrated rpg (I never played front mission 4, but front mission 3 is a very good game, you should try it). And most of the game that he mentions I never heard it before, maybe because it mostly from the new console games that I never had.

Dark Messiah isn't really a RPG. It's more a linear first person action slayer in a fantasy setting, with some stats, and some story. But that it does very, very good.
Not sure how it was perceived when it was released though.

I normally like to mention Divinity 2 as underrated RPG.
It has never gotten the attention like the elder scrolls or similar games, but if offers a nice and unique fantasy world, which is definitely worth a play.

I might call DMoM&M an RPG, but it's really more of a pioneer in the kicking-people-off-cliffs-simulator genre. Which is a genre that should definitely have more games than it does, because even though it's probably an objectively bad game I loved it.

but it's really more of a pioneer in the kicking-people-off-cliffs-simulator genre. Which is a genre that should definitely have more games than it does,

:yup: definitely.
Interacting with the environment while fighting the enemies was quite fun.

because even though it's probably an objectively bad game I loved it.

Why was it bad?
Graphics, sound and controls are okay, and I can't complain about the gameplay. It's just not an open world RPG, but an scripted action game.

Aethra Chronicles:

Made by 1 single programmer. I actually think it had as much depth if not more than nearly any RPG of its time. Sadly only the first chapter was made. But it was excellent.

Dark Messiah isn't really a RPG. It's more a linear first person action slayer in a fantasy setting, with some stats, and some story. But that it does very, very good.
Not sure how it was perceived when it was released though.

I don't like hack and slash game, but this one sound really interesting. An Oblivion like "hack and slash" game, with medieval setting.

Drakkhen It was the grandparent of current 3D open-world RPG games!

BTW i wouldnt look at the stars in that pic for too long if i were you... :mischief:

I don't like hack and slash game, but this one sound really interesting. An Oblivion like "hack and slash" game, with medieval setting.

It puts all of Bethesda's games to shame when it comes to melee combat. It has a really overpowered but hilarious kick attack, but it is the rest of the melee combat that makes the game shine. The story isn't particularly notable but its fun with some varied if largely linear locations and enemies (the poison mechanic is very annoying though, but it is a Source game so I just enabled Bhudda mode for those sections :p).

I recommend picking it up on sale, I really enjoyed it myself.

The most forgotten games I can think of are the first 2 Golden Suns. Brutal puzzles, and the second game's story throws a brilliant twist into everything you assumed from the first.

It puts all of Bethesda's games to shame when it comes to melee combat. It has a really overpowered but hilarious kick attack, but it is the rest of the melee combat that makes the game shine. The story isn't particularly notable but its fun with some varied if largely linear locations and enemies (the poison mechanic is very annoying though, but it is a Source game so I just enabled Bhudda mode for those sections :p).

I recommend picking it up on sale, I really enjoyed it myself.

thanks Maniacal, I will put that game on my list ;)

Gothic 2

Top Bottom