Yet another movie thread: original or remake?

Grille

panel insect
There have been quite a lot movie remakes.
So in what special case do you prefer the the original over the remake (or vice versa), or think it's a draw inbetween those?
Feel free and list them along with a comment. :)
(Note that I would not want to nitpick on the term "original" - since there may have been more than just two version occasionally.)

Here's some examples:

"L'Emmerdeur" (aka "Pain In The A..."), 1973
Killer Lino Ventura is disturbed by an affected loony (Jacques Brel).
Remake "Buddy Buddy", 1981
Walter Matthau plays the killer, Jack Lemmon is the loony.
In this case, I like both versions. Both Ventura and Matthau let you feel they're really fed up with that other guy and his problems...
The remake is funnier after all (especially the ending of "Buddy Buddy"), but Brel is quite better as totally naive jerk who tries to get attention by a poorly conducted suicide attempt.

"The Three Musketeers", 1948 (actually, this isn't the "original", there have been a lot of versions of the Alexandre Dumas novel) - casting Gene Kelly, Lana Turner...
"The Three Musketeers", 1973
casting Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch...

Here, I prefer the second (mentioned) version, as it combines adventure and comedy in the most entertaining way.

A draw is "Mutiny On The Bounty". Marlon Brando is as fine as Clark Gable IMHO. Maybe Charles Laughton is more evil as Captain Bligh in the "original" (there has even been a prior version - but I don't know it).

Now to one of my all-time favourite :cool: movies: Sam Peckinpah's "The Getaway", 1972.
This one is waaay better than the 1994 remake. Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger just cannot compete with Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, it's a rather lame remake.

Originally posted by addiv
I have yet to see a remake that I like better than the original...

Really? That includes the examples I mentioned, especially "The Three Musketeers" or "Buddy Buddy" (really hilarious)?

Originally posted by conormcgarry

i have not yet to see a remake that was better than the origional because im great
:crazyeye:
Ok... err... what? :D

Originally posted by Yoshimune

I like the Pierce Brosnan "Thomas Crowne Affair" better than the original.
Interesting. :) I haven't watched the remake so far, but the original is a great one anyways.

Planet of the Apes remake was ok but the original was a classic that never gets dated. The remake looked like it had been over edited. The make up of course was better, except for the female ape that looked disturbingly like Michael Jackson. Also, the villian ape in the movie was played really over the top. He was breathing heavy through the whole film, like he had asthma or something. The original was on AMC recently, loved it all over again. "Get your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape!" will make me chuckle every time I hear it if I live to be 100. Reminds me of what my dates usually say.

Planet of the apes was a good remake but nothing beats the original. The only way I can appreciate Charlton Heston is by watching those movies. You maniacs!!!

Crazy Chuck Heston made alot of good ones. The Omega Man, Soylent Green are his best after Planet of the Apes. I wish somebody would do a remake of Soylent Green.

I second that motion! The idea of "human food" hasn't been explored enough in movies.

A Soylent Green remake would be great indeed!

I like that movie (the story, that is), but I think it could even be better put on than the original version. Great potential for a remake anyways.

I agree with Grille, a Soylent Green remake would be good(as long as the director was decent)

Btw, there are, of course, movies that are quite unique for a variety of reasons.
The "Psycho" remake (tv production IIRC) is a flop, because the original is just untouchable.

Possibly "The Godfather" remake(s) would be *blasphemy* as well, I guess...

Originally posted by Grille
A Soylent Green remake would be great indeed!

I like that movie (the story, that is), but I think it could even be better put on than the original version. Great potential for a remake anyways.

The appealing thing about Hestons character in Soylent Green was that he wasnt a saint. He had flaws and was a gritty dirty kind of character. I dont think Hollywood has the integrity or guts to put out something like it today. Theres nothing cute in it, nobodies cool or trying to be, there are no adorable yet wordly and wise cracking kids, there isnt much of a love story and its bleak from begining to end. Maybe if it came out as an independent it would be halfway decent. The Hollywood machine would spit out some boring, dumbed down, assinine garbage that would bear a resemblence to the original in name only. :rant:

(and I'd be the first one in line to see it:lol: )

I don't remember seeing a remake that was better than the original.

And if you need a good example of a remake being HORRIBLY WORSE than the original, I would tell you about the worst remake (and I would even say the worst movie overall) of its year : Rollerball.

Originally posted by De Lorimier
I second that motion! The idea of "human food" hasn't been explored enough in movies.

Nor in real life! ;)

I can't think of a single one. I hated the new Ocean's Eleven. It had a cool Elvis song, but the rest was far too cutesy-cutesy.

And I can't stand that slimeball Garcia.

Hitchcok's "Birds" surpases every other attempt made.

EDIT: Oops. This is REMAKES not SEQUELS! :blush:

Top Bottom