More evironmental interaction and effects

AlextheGr8

Warlord
I'd like to see the world around you actually be affected by what you do. For example, if you chop down all the trees to make mines or lumber mills, there should be pollution that hurts population growth, for example. And using nukes shouldn't be able to clean up so easily like it is now, with just a few turns of the magical hammer. Changing worlds over time would be interesting, glaciers retreating or advancing, interactive weather ie cloudy days and rain that hurts airplanes in war. Would an another interesting dynamic I think.

Good luck getting everyone to agree that global warming is real. :mischief:

They had stuff like that in Civ IV and it annoyed a lot of players with its randomness. There were too many disasters and not enough good random events to make players enjoy it.

Although I've never gotten through a complete game using the CivUp mod (Spain settling 5 cities by turn 50 is not an ideal start), the random events it throws at you are quite enjoyable. If random events were added to the game, I think they should follow that model.

I'd like to see the world around you actually be affected by what you do. For example, if you chop down all the trees to make mines or lumber mills, there should be pollution that hurts population growth, for example. And using nukes shouldn't be able to clean up so easily like it is now, with just a few turns of the magical hammer. Changing worlds over time would be interesting, glaciers retreating or advancing, interactive weather ie cloudy days and rain that hurts airplanes in war. Would an another interesting dynamic I think.

I really like your idea. Climate change, deforestation, and other environmental disasters -man-made and otherwise - have played a huge role in the history of civilization. In addition to setting world temperature and moistness like you can in previous Civ games, you should also be able to set natural global temperature trends for the course of a game (e.g. "rapid warming", "slow cooling", "moderately oscillating", "stable climate"). These would effect glacier movements like you suggest, as well as incidence of natural disasters, change in habitats, and the emerging and submerging of coastal land tiles.

Player acitivity like deforestation and building coal plants could act as an added influence on the game's natural climate trend both globally and regionally, e.g. you could turn a "slow warming" into a "rapid warming", or turn a "rapid cooling" into a "stable climate", by producing alot of greenhouse gases. For those who don't like the idea of anthropogenic climate change, you could also have a "Lord Monckton" option in the game settings menu which prevents human activity from having an effect on climate.

Top Bottom