Civ5 - Gamereactor preview

hahaha

it occurs to me - that's not a letter of the alphabet after "Civ".. it's a directional arrow showing the direction the franchise is heading.

Ground floor = unemployment and loss of brand recognition - all out!

I'm willing to bet that the article is simply wrong and that units can exist in cities. This goes directly against what Firaxis employees were stating outright in PAX and GDC.
Let's hope so, because no unit in the city is simply too silly to complicate. You should be able to control the last line of defense.

If you think about it, that's one way to chip off a piece off the micro. So far in every Civ, you pretty much have to have a unit in your city full time, or you are making a mistake. Any time you have a situation where a player must do something universally, it is no longer a decision to be made by the player and can be safely removed by abstraction/automation.

...And here thy cephalo with his eternal universal wisdom. :old:

:lol:

But seriously I agree ;) ...and it's not even in harmony with Sid's logic. Remember the stuff he talked about in those articles or whatever of his about giving the player options to decide... "if there is no choice for the player in some aspect then we failed" or something like that...

hahaha

it occurs to me - that's not a letter of the alphabet after "Civ".. it's a directional arrow showing the direction the franchise is heading.

Ground floor = unemployment and loss of brand recognition - all out!

Let's hope so, because no unit in the city is simply too silly to complicate. You should be able to control the last line of defense.

If Firaxs fails us we still have BTS ;)

Extremely negative tone in this thread.

Simply put, if you guys don't like it, play cIV until 2015 when Civ VI comes out.

ciV is going to be great. Calm down.

Extremely negative tone in this thread.

Simply put, if you guys don't like it, play cIV until 2015 when Civ VI comes out.

ciV is going to be great. Calm down.

:think: hmm weird... I don't see any negativity here. A little bit of talking, jokes, sarcasm... but no much negativity... but it's just me

The more I hear about Civ V the more a nagging doubt starts creeping into my head that a lot of the best aspects of Civ IV are getting junked in favour of a system most people will not like, that has never fitted with what the Civilization Series was about....

My hunch is that cities will play the role of an immobile SOD - or an immobile deathstar ;) From other reviews I've seen, the suggestion seems to be that the effectiveness of a city in warding off attacks or acting on offense will be based on improvements within the city.

Protecting cities or key strategic points will be all about constructing fronts (like in chess). Formations of units will be of the utmost importance, unlike before, where a player simply roamed around with a giant SOD with a few units on key tiles here and there. Green units will be like pawns -- veteran units will be very much more valuable -- and cities will be protected like a king in chess.

I'm sure the changes will take some getting used to, but on the whole, even though I'm a bit cautious in my optimism, I think the changes will be great because I like the idea of the CIV map being a bit like a giant chess board -- with a high level of strategic & tactical sophistication.

Well, i'm a bit tired of hearing about the one unit per tile aspect of this game. This has been stated many times and I doubt that it will be changed so...that is something that we shall simply have to deal with. What I want to know about at this point is the diplomatic, economic and, research aspects. I would also like to know more about unit/improvement interactions in late games such as aircraft...railroads....ships....resources....

Also, you know this is a civilization game. What is a huge component of civilizations? How they relate to other civs. I want to know how much depth there is to diplomacy. Can we negotiate with multiple civs at one time? Can we create grand alliances that are similar to NATO and the Warsaw Pact? If the major changes between Civ IV and Civ V are simply how units relate to tiles then I will be as disappointed as I was with Spore if not more so....Civ is closer to my heart... this and Starcraft are two of the first games I ever played on the PC.

I do realize that the release isn't until Fall and it may be a bit early to release information like this....also, lol it's probably not good from a marketing standpoint because...let's be honest a lot of games are sold because they imply things that aren't really in the game. However, I really would like to impress upon Sid not to do that. You have time to correct things....do it. I know i'm just one person making this request but, I don't think i'm the only one that feels this way.

Top Bottom