Gold

alexsu

Chieftain
Hey guys!

I've beat Civ 4 quite a few times on Emperor. Maybe not amazing by people's standards here, but it's enough to explain that I shouldn't be facing the difficulties that I am.

Supposedly Civ5 is easier than 4, so I must be doing something obviously wrong. In this game, I simply cannot produce an army because I am having such problems amassing gold in this game. To keep up with other leading civs I am usually left defenseless and the only reason I can manage to survive any attacks is thanks to the ******ed AI, but that doesn't make me very satisfied with my strategy either. I don't understand how they can maintain such huge armies while having cities full of structures that cost insane amounts of maintenance. Even when I set out from the start with the idea of just making as much gold as possible, everything feels too expensive. In the end, I usually feel like there's almost no point building more structures in my cities, cus I can't afford them. Interesting since all I do is trying to amass gold, paying almost zero maintenance for military units. The cities simply do not make enough gold, no matter how many trading posts/resources I have. I even try to trade away excess resources for GPT, but the difference is marginal and things simply do not work out in the long run for me. To think that I'm playing on Prince, where the AI is not supposed to have any 'cheating' advantages makes me think I am doing something horribly wrong!

Those games when my goal is to conquer other civs in the start, I always end up having to delete my units. In Civ4 I easily figured out how to adapt before it happened, but here.. no. I've no idea. It's almost embarassing.

What are you guys doing when you want to make as much gold as possible?

I have the exact same issue as you, although the real gold problems usually only start at late medieval age. :/

Just looked at producing "wealth" in a city... 10 % is like 1-3g per city in industrial+ age... -.-

Build trading posts. They are quite good.
Trade with the other civs, and build economic buildings(or buy them!)

Im sitting on 4000 gold, a nice income of around +175g per turn in 1400, 6 cities and 6 pubbet cities.

don't buy buildings or units. buy city state tributes

the hammer to gold conversion rate is like 1 to 5

the mine vs trading post rate is only 1 vs 2

Yeah. Gold does all sorts of amazing things in Civ5 it never did in Civ4...

- It upgrades units!

- purchases units and buildings!

- You can trade it!

- You can bribe City-States with it!

- You can buy land from (presumably) idigenous peoples with it!

So as you can see the huge, greatly-expanded role of gold in Civ5 is really just buying land early on and for the rest fo the game it's just bribing City-States.

Money hasn't been a huge problem for me just yet. I've gotten pretty low once or twice but fortunately Great People seem to pop up all the time and a Golden Age here and there does wonders. :)

Yeah, my economy was doing fairly well in the middle ages, but has since taken a downward turn. You might find the discussion on Unit Maintenance costs interesting. For me, that's the largest expense I'm paying, and it's killing my economy. It's hard finding ways to save or make gold, but it's been interesting trying to get a grasp on it. I'm still on my first game, turn 355, so I'll be monitoring expenses more carefully next game. I too am playing on Prince, although I never went higher than Monarch on Civ4 (even then I don't think I played that enough to beat it...).

Top Bottom