The Last of the Civworthy

Has Sweden been mentioned?

It at one point had the 3rd largest army in Europe before being defeated by Peter the Great of Russia. Of course Europe is already quite represented.

So you need 11 more to gain 50 civs. If you combine Mali and Songhai, Khmer and Siam, Germany and HRE you have 36 and need 14 more. Honestly, I'm not sure there's even enough to get to 45, assuming you don't combine any of the others.

I'd combine Germany and HRE, and Mali and Songhai, but I think I'd leave Khmer and Siam separate -- they were neighbors, rather than virtually identical like the other two. That puts us at 37.

I actually made an updated version of this thread at this link.

At the new thread, I assert my updated list of ideas:
Assyrians, Hebrews, Indonesians, Moors, Minoans, Nubians, Phoenicians, Tibetans and Vietnamese. That puts us at 46.

Not sure why/how this old thread got necro'ed though. ;)

Sioux have already been in Civ before, so they don't qualify for the parameters set for the discussion. I'd like to see them back though. As for Apache and Cherokee, I don't want to press my luck demanding 4 Native American tribes. Two (adding Sioux to Iroquois) would actually be a first.

False sir!
Austria was a major power in the times before Prussia, and resisted Ottoman invasion. And if the Germans took the Dutch, then they shouldn't be included either, should they?

What is "false?" I never stated Austria was not a major power before Prussia. In fact, I argued the exact opposite of that. For much of Germany's history, Austria was actually the dominant German principality. Be careful not to get confused: both the 1st Reich and the 2nd Reich can be referred to as German.

What I am stating is that for most of its history, Austria was inherently German. Please try to listen. :(

My point re: the Dutch was simply that a 17th or 18th century definition would make no distinction between a "Dutchman (Netherlands)" and a "Dutchman (Germany)." I'm not saying to combine them into Germany.

Sioux have already been in Civ before, so they don't qualify for the parameters set for the discussion. I'd like to see them back though. As for Apache and Cherokee, I don't want to press my luck demanding 4 Native American tribes. Two (adding Sioux to Iroquois) would actually be a first.

True. Then again, we have added 4 European monarchy civilizations. Spain, England, France, and Germany. As the 3 South American Native American tribes, Mayan, Incan, and Aztecs. (Despite the fact that the Mayans have yet to make it into Civ 5.)

However, I do agree that 4 Native American civilizations could be a bit strange. Since Civ 5 seems to be going for a diverse approach I can see them adding in the Apache or Cherokee. The Sioux are predictable. A DLC including any of the 2 Native American tribes I listed would be sufficient in my opinion.

However, I do agree that 4 Native American civilizations could be a bit strange. Since Civ 5 seems to be going for a diverse approach I can see them adding in the Apache or Cherokee. The Sioux are predictable. A DLC including any of the 2 Native American tribes I listed would be sufficient in my opinion.

I think I'd pick Cherokee over Apache. Personal preference.

I think I'd pick Cherokee over Apache. Personal preference.

I'm really split between the two. One's origin is Southeast and the other originates in the Southwest. Either would work in my opinion. I'd actually prefer both over the Sioux. Never been impressed with Sitting Bull in the Civ series (Civ IV and Colonization).

I'm really split between the two. One's origin is Southeast and the other originates is in the Southwest. Either would work in my opinion. I'd actually prefer both over the Sioux. Never been impressed with Sitting Bull in the Civ series (Civ IV and Colonization).

I just figure Sioux are a safe bet, having made it into the series twice (in one form or another).

I just figure Sioux are a safe bet, having made it into the series twice (in one form or another).

I agree. Though Civilization 5 has been quite frequent in premiering new civilizations into the series. Such as Songhai, Denmark, Siam, and much to my surprise, Polynesia. Since the game seems to be going for a slightly more diverse approach I wouldn't be totally surprised if either of the 2 were included.

I agree. Though Civilization 5 has been quite frequent in premiering new civilizations into the series. Such as Songhai, Denmark, Siam, and much to my surprise, Polynesia. Since the game seems to be going for a slightly more diverse approach I wouldn't be totally surprised if either of the 2 were included.

Sort of. Songhai and Denmark are just Mali and the Vikings squeezed into different packaging. Especially Denmark. Siam and Polynesia were pleasant surprises though. It does seem though that a big trend this time around is "a new take on the same old stuff."

My purpose in writing here was simply to identify the most reasonable potential new civs for inclusion. I got lucky with Polynesia--they were on the old list and so I took them off the new list after their inclusion.

These are simply my best guesses. Do I think they should all be included? Maybe--some definitely more than others. Is it possible they might include a group not on my list? Definitely.

Top Bottom