The Falkland Islands

The Royal Navy is sending a nuclear submarine to the Falkland Islands amid heightened tensions between Britain and Argentina over the disputed islands, it has been reported.

The Trafalgar class vessel, thought to be either HMS Tireless or HMS Turbulent, is believed to be being deployed to protect the islands from Argentine military action.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_europe/na...st_hdr=uk.news.yahoo.com&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb

This would be a totally viable option if Argentina factored the rights of the inhabitants into their stance at all. Which they don't. The Falkland Islanders voting to stay part of the UK would not make Argentina lessen down its rhetoric over the issue in the slightest.

I know Argentina doesnt care, I pointed that earlier. However, on the international stage it helps the UK's stance look better. They can simply proclaim they are protecting the will of the people who have chosen for themselves what they want whereas Argentina is trying to force an undesired situation on them.

Inflation is already what, 25%? How much higher will it have to go before Kirchner invades for a convenient distraction/flimsy excuse to grab more power?

Cause some sort of skirmish yes but Argentina lacks the capacity to invade.

Are there naval units stationed at Port Stanley?

The UK typically has a frigate/destroyer, nuclear submarine, patrol boat and ice breaker in the seas around the Falklands. In addition to this there is a large air base containing a flight of fighter aircraft and a relatively significant number of soldiers. Argentina has nothing that lets them counter that, let alone reach the islands with more than 300 soldiers

Argentine air force is today about the same as in 1982. His most powerfull fighters continue being a bunch of Mirage III-5-Dagger and Skyhawks. So, yes a single AEGIS vessel is more than enough to stop any military action. I know several Argentinians and they know it very well. They think that all this situation laughable. And reading this thread and seeing UK reactions i would say that you Britons are giving more importante to it than Argentinians.

didnt realise just how laughable the Argentinian air force is, seems like britain is stronger in comparison to argentina than last time, and weve actually shown a willingness to defend the islands this time

I know several Argentinians and they know it very well. They think that all this situation laughable. And reading this thread and seeing UK reactions i would say that you Britons are giving more importante to it than Argentinians.

Yeah, one begins to wonder who needs all the chest-thumping more.

Nobody seems to care much about a million Pieds-Noirs but a couple thousand people who are insane enough to want to live on the Falklands automatically make an occupied place part of the British Archipelago. It's a good thing I don't believe in the British Empire or even the UK…
No. Hong Kong island was ceded in perpetuity, it was Kowloon that had the 99 year lease.

The fig leaf was that the island was unsustainable without supplies from the mainland.

Kind of like the Falklands supplies being cut off fom South America, wouldn't you say ?
I'm not sure they are that dependant on supplies from the mainland, but, still…
The Royal Navy is sending a nuclear submarine to the Falkland Islands amid heightened tensions between Britain and Argentina over the disputed islands, it has been reported.

The Trafalgar class vessel, thought to be either HMS Tireless or HMS Turbulent, is believed to be being deployed to protect the islands from Argentine military action.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_europe/na...st_hdr=uk.news.yahoo.com&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb
You and many others on both sides acknowledge the fact that Argentina is not a militarily capable country.
Inflation is already what, 25%? How much higher will it have to go before Kirchner invades for a convenient distraction/flimsy excuse to grab more power?
Cause some sort of skirmish yes but Argentina lacks the capacity to invade.
The President has enough rethorical internal enemies. She's made a habit of targetting 'traitors' and the like, we're all being offered the chance to renounce subsidies that were unilaterally imposed on us freezing utiliy rates for a decade, etc. etc. Inflation is now a 'lie' and people are being forced to use a government-issued card to pay for all public means of transportation in the Buenos Aires metropolitan area. So, country under control. Enough internal enemies. Of course, if in a completely hypothetical case she managed to reform the Constitution and become Eternal President, etc. etc. and/or leave power to her son and so on, they might grow insane enough in a few decades. But Argentina will probably have one of its chronic economic collapses sooner than that.
Yeah, one begins to wonder who needs all the chest-thumping more.
Cameron, obviously. He's the one actually spending a lot of money on sending ships to a place that won't be invaded anyway,

Nobody seems to care much about a million Pieds-Noirs but a couple thousand people who are insane enough to want to live on the Falklands automatically make an occupied place part of the British Archipelago. It's a good thing I don't believe in the British Empire or even the UK…

I guess thats because Pieds-Noirs represented 13% of the population and that the rest of the native Algerians wanted independence. On the Falkland Islands it's 100% British and 100% for continued ties to Britain. They are not even remotely comparable.

Kowloon and Stonecutter's Island were also ceded in perpetuity. It was the New Territories (Lantau Island and the adjacent area to the north) that were granted under a 99-year lease.

Thanks for the clarification.
Funnily enough, this makes my underlying point even more valid.

I guess thats because Pieds-Noirs represented 13% of the population and that the rest of the native Algerians wanted independence. On the Falkland Islands it's 100% British and 100% for continued ties to Britain. They are not even remotely comparable.
Don't worry about that, the glorious Argentine nation will triumph. When'll you be giving up on Ulster then?
To be fair though, the deployment of ships and subs has been routine for 30 years.
Yes, but not always 'the' best ship and not with all that fanfare.

Some good news is that London has accepted a new Argentine ambassadress and is willing to discuss hidrocarbons and fishing rights, everything around the pieces of rock but not sovereignty over the pieces of rock themselves. Good signs so far I'd say.

Then again, we get something like this:
"No entiendo por qué algunos se empecinan en hablar de poskirchnerismo; eso es traición a la patria"
(I don't understand why some people persist in speaking of post-kirchnerism, that is treason against the country)​
by the Vice-President Amado Boudou himself. The main problem is, the President sets a policy and then everyone is more of a Kirchnerist than Mrs. Kirchner herself, they try to out-Kirchner her like this in order to curry favour.

These idiots who insist on out-Kirchnering Mrs. Kirchner and out-nationalising the Nationalism that is part of the government's ideology are the same offal, I mean, officials that are trying this strategy of trying to force the islanders into bargaining. You just can't force an imbecile, arrogant bigot like Cameron into it and restrictions on the islanders will just make them reject Argentine time and time again.
The President herself has met with Mr. Cameron and Mr. Brown before him at Un and G-20 meetings and never had any problems with them face-to-face. Why do second-level officials make so much mess?

A lot of ordinary citizens, obviously not in power, agree with me that the islanders should be befriended and given all the benefits regular Argentines have. Wouldn't it be better if they could study for free in any Argentine university just close over the sea instead of doing so at great expense all the way up in the UK? Wouldn't it be better if they could have cheap holidays, healthcare, etc. in a place close by instead of all these stupid limits and restrictions? They could also profit from a lot of tourists from the mainland here, trade opportunities, take a course in English and learn it from native speakers inside Argentine territory, etc. etc. it's all there to benefit both parties.
Fishing itself, it's obviously better if you can cooperate and use any of the major ports on the Argentine shore and have the Falklands as a friendly harbour, agains benefiting both sides.

As I said before, there's no real impediment to a double-citizenship arrangement, English as the official language of the local administration and so forth -even a dual name, because Argentina itself has four names recognised by the Constitution so a province with one name in each language would be no problem at all- that would make a translation almost unnoticeable.

But no, most of the turd-brained Great leaders here try to look tough because they might just earn bonus points from the boss instead of trying to be friends. :ack:

It's so frustrating, the way forward for both sides is so clear, and everyone who has a say in this affair on either side insists on looking the other way for petty personal gain.

Don't worry about that, the glorious Argentine nation will triumph. When'll you be giving up on Ulster then?

Not when the majority are voting Unionists.
The only polls I recall seeing strongly supported remaining part of the UK (73%) trending upwards, though a majority of that group wished for devolved government. That poll even indicated a majority of Catholics supported a continued Union. Probably has something to do with the collapse of the Irish economy after 2008, though.
For actual elections, the last general elecition had 50.5% vote for Unionist parties and 42% for nationalist parties. Although this doesn't necessarily represent the voters' opinion on whether to remain part of the UK, it confirms that there is considerable support. A lot more than 16.5% support the French had in Algeria (96% of muslims voted for independence in 1958).

Yes, but not always 'the' best ship and not with all that fanfare.
Not always with Argentina posturing and trying imposing economic blockades on the islands.

On this Quebracho group attacking HSBC offices and so on, I've found out the morons have promised to do such a thing once every week. What for, or until when, is left unsaid. Basically they're extorting money out of the government as best they can. Le sigh.
Not when the majority are voting Unionists.
The only polls I recall seeing strongly supported remaining part of the UK (73%) trending upwards, though a majority of that group wished for devolved government. That poll even indicated a majority of Catholics supported a continued Union. Probably has something to do with the collapse of the Irish economy after 2008, though.
For actual elections, the last general elecition had 50.5% vote for Unionist parties and 42% for nationalist parties. Although this doesn't necessarily represent the voters' opinion on whether to remain part of the UK, it confirms that there is considerable support. A lot more than 16.5% support the French had in Algeria (96% of muslims voted for independence in 1958).
Of course, the vote where most people in the island voted in favour of breaking out of the UK back in the '20s was ignored, but, still…
say1988 said:
Not always with Argentina posturing and trying imposing economic blockades on the islands.
Actually, any vessels are allowed in or out if they fly a UK flag instead of the Falkie one. It's still completely moronic of Cameron to rise to the bait, except he knows he hasn't got any single one other reason to be voted for after proving his ineptness at practically everything so he now appeals to the Conservatives, gutsy patriotism and the good ol' Empire. It's not that much of a blockade as no one's actually marching up to the Islands to stop people from coming in or out.

And reading this thread and seeing UK reactions i would say that you Britons are giving more importante to it than Argentinians.

Touché, bombing Gaddafi wasn't as patriotism-stirring as the UK gov. had expected.

The UK typically has a frigate/destroyer, nuclear submarine, patrol boat and ice breaker in the seas around the Falklands. In addition to this there is a large air base containing a flight of fighter aircraft and a relatively significant number of soldiers. Argentina has nothing that lets them counter that, let alone reach the islands with more than 300 soldiers

So the Argentinians load their troops onto a hundred fishing boats and make a dash for it :lol:

Top Bottom