Would this game have been better on the Wii?

Would Civ Rev been better on the Wii?

• Yes!

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • No!

Votes: 51 77.3%

• Total voters

Exoma

Chieftain
You know, what with the wiimote and stuff? I'm pretty sure it'd have the same graphics, the graphics aren't all that spectacular.

It would be hard to move around and do things with the wii mote compared to a good ol fashion controller, and usually the wii's graphics are just sad. I was playing madden 08(maybe it was 07 i can't remember for sure) with one of my friends on the wii and it looked exactly like madden 05, and most wii games don't have as good graphics as their ps3/360 counter parts.

It wouldn't be better, but I'm sure it would be equally as good as the 360 version.

Xbox 360 - Best online, achievements
Wii - Motion controls
PS3 - ?
DS - Can play on a bus/in a car/at school/etc., touch controls
PSP - Can play on a bus/in a car/at school/etc.

I would probably get the 360 version, because I'm obsessed with achievements. I love them. Plus, better online - as well as the fact that the 360 version seems to be the one that CivRev is being played on the most at this forum (although I'm sure the Wii version will sell more, perhaps not at this forum though).

I wouldn't say it would be better on the Wii.

It certainly wouldn't be worse though.

And a bigger install base is a bigger install base.

Honestly i dont really know or care because i don't own a wii. :D I gave up on nintendo when they made Zelda: Windwanker.

Well, I'm glad the PS3 is getting decent games, but economically the Wii may have been a better choice -- or, rather, an additional one. I'd really have liked a PSP version, but I can (and currently do) play the DS incarnation.

"Better"? No.

Different? Of course. Not gameplay, but interface.

The planned on making a Wii version, but it got put on hold because they didn't have the time/money/manpower to do the interface (graphics/controllers) as needed. If the other versions sell well, they may be able to scrape up the necessary resources, yet. ;)

For Civ, the issue is prob. less on graphics and gameplay than it is on the controls. Given the need for a fair amount of buttons or control functions needed, trying to map it out for Wii (and the PSP) is a bit of a challenge. Tough spot is, if you start forcing different (but more complex) controllers, you also risk limiting your overall audience.

The game itself shouldn't be any different (unless they overall it for some Wii exclusive features). But with Civ the type of game it is, I don't think I would want to be shaking my Wiimote everytime there's a battle...

You can practically play the entire DS game with the stylus that has no buttons, I don't see why it would be any different using the IR functionality of the wii-mote. Similarly, you can play the PC version just about entirely with a mouse and two buttons. Again, the IR wii-mote could replace that as well.

I'd go out on a limb and say that if there ever was a Wii version, it would probably be the best version as far as control layout is concerned. I bet they could make a pretty nice looking Wii version if they were so inclined. Sure it would be in 480p, but that wouldn't make it ugly by default.

For the record, I don't own a Wii.

You can practically play the entire DS game with the stylus that has no buttons, I don't see why it would be any different using the IR functionality of the wii-mote. Similarly, you can play the PC version just about entirely with a mouse and two buttons. Again, the IR wii-mote could replace that as well.

I'd go out on a limb and say that if there ever was a Wii version, it would probably be the best version as far as control layout is concerned. I bet they could make a pretty nice looking Wii version if they were so inclined. Sure it would be in 480p, but that wouldn't make it ugly by default.

For the record, I don't own a Wii.

Graphically, I don't think a Wii version would be too different. As you said, the switch to 480p wouldn't be too much of a handicap, and the Gamebryo engine should scale easily enough.

Control-wise, I think it would be a bit more difficult. If you use the IR pointing functionality, (and really, it would seem to be the most logical control scheme) the problem would be that you'd have to design larger on-screen buttons to accomodate the human hand's inherent "shakiness" or a bit of leeway space on the units, cities, and features that someone would want to select. If you look at the design of Nintendo's own games and applications, they feature big, colorful buttons (which happen to look good in their Mario-esque design scheme) that enable easier pointing.

Pinpoint accuracy works on the PC because, there's very little "drift" or "shakiness" when you move a mouse pointer on your desktop or laptop.

I agree with NikNak - using a stylus is different than waving your Wii remote. And given how much you'd have to manage, I'd imagine one's arm getting sore rather fast.

I definitely see your point NikNak and I certainly agree to a point. Having said that though, the UI buttons in the PS3 demo didn't seem so small that this would be a massive problem or screen real estate so cramped that they couldn't enlarge the buttons some. Either way, it doesn't much matter to me as I have the DS version. (Talk about small buttons, they're just a few pixels in size each.)

Well, guys, by Wii controlled, I was thinking of something like, when you wage war.

You can make swign your wiimote like a sword to attack, and make hold up the nunchuck to defend.

Maybe create some kind of mini battle system everytime you go to war. :)

If they do get to a Wii verison, I hope its not a lazy "we'll lets . .. .. .. . one out and be done with it" kind of port which can sometimes happen with the Wii when a publisher/developer doesn't take the time to understand the platform and simply wants to get a product out.

I think the Wii version will benefit from the holiday season so I hope it gets announced soon!

Some things I'd like to see

-a version of CivRev that has benefited from the patches on the 360/PS3
-comes with DLC (Wii can support this)
-come with Nintendo/Wii specific wonders. Something like ' The Video Game' wonder with an image of a NES unit (adds culture :p)
-wifi online similar to the DS
-ability to take screenshots that are posted to the Wii menu and can be traded/sent to other Wiis or to an e-mail account. (yes the Wii can handle this too. Mario Galaxy did it)
-supports Wii Classic controller for those who prefer not to use the remote (this is the SNES style controller used to play some Virtual console titles)

Really hope it happens. Make it happen Firaxis! Money on the table. Guaranteed $50 purchase for me if it comes out.

Although I've not seen any other information anywhere else, Nintendo Power has had a release date of September for a Wii release in their magazine for the past few months. To my knowledge the Wii version was put on hold indefinitely.

Honestly i dont really know or care because i don't own a wii. :D I gave up on nintendo when they made Zelda: Windwanker.
Oi! Windwaker was fun! What was your problem with it? That it was cartoony? The graphics where actually pretty well done...

Oi! Windwaker was fun! What was your problem with it? That it was cartoony? The graphics where actually pretty well done...

My problem with windwaker was not the graphics. There are very few dungeons and you ended up spending way to much time sailing around on a stupid boat... Worst zelda in my opionion for game play.

I would like to see someone try to play through a 3-hour game on the Wii and watch as their arm fell off from having to keep the pointer in exactly the square they wanted. Terrible idea. The game would work fine for the Wii I think but Im not sure how they could incorporate the IR pointing and make it comfortable and functional.

Ever played Medal of Honor?? Quite an arm workout! I'd hate to try that for 3 hours!

Top Bottom