Varica: Children of the Sky

Of the two, I prefer the second one. Not because of player micromanagement, honestly both systems require an initial micromanage set up, after which you can just copy and paste your trade orders every turn,[1] but because it is much simpler on the moderator. The first system has the moderator doing various rolls every turn in order to figure out if something sold or not. The second system, if I understand it correctly, has the moderator making a start-up judgment on how many luxuries a particular route supports and that's it.[2]

[1] The real annoyance with the first system was the high birth rate for flocks/herds and the corresponding food upkeep, which required those with flocks to recalculate their food upkeep every turn. This, however, could just as easily be fixed by having a zero herd growth policy.

[2] I am assuming the system will work something like this:
Assfell:
Number of Luxuries: 25
Trade Routes (Number of Luxuries Sent/Maximum Number of Luxuries Allowed)
-Werhold (3/3)
-Romadi (3/3)
-Gibraly (4/4)
-Varica (5/5)
-Dolu (10/10)

So in this example in order to get more money Assfell has to both increase the number of luxuries they produce and find another trade partner.

Of the two, I prefer the second one. Not because of player micromanagement, honestly both systems require an initial micromanage set up, after which you can just copy and paste your trade orders every turn,[1] but because it is much simpler on the moderator. The first system has the moderator doing various rolls every turn in order to figure out if something sold or not. The second system, if I understand it correctly, has the moderator making a start-up judgment on how many luxuries a particular route supports and that's it.[2]

[1] The real annoyance with the first system was the high birth rate for flocks/herds and the corresponding food upkeep, which required those with flocks to recalculate their food upkeep every turn. This, however, could just as easily be fixed by having a zero herd growth policy.

[2] I am assuming the system will work something like this:
Assfell:
Number of Luxuries: 25
Trade Routes (Number of Luxuries Sent/Maximum Number of Luxuries Allowed)
-Werhold (3/3)
-Romadi (3/3)
-Gibraly (4/4)
-Varica (5/5)
-Dolu (10/10)

So in this example in order to get more money Assfell has to both increase the number of luxuries they produce and find another trade partner.

That's exactly how it would work.

It's more similar to the system we had in the first game than the one we've been using. I can cut down the micromanagement further by just assuming that luxuries are sent equally each turn. Then all players need to do is set up the trade routes and protect them each turn and make sure your people don't starve.

No worrying about herd growth, no worrying about buying wool and beer for upkeep, no trade zones and no random element.

Just a random question, i noticed the Vorthai reproduce over time, why cant we make the slaves do that? :p

Just a random question, i noticed the Vorthai reproduce over time, why cant we make the slaves do that? :p

Because there was no other way to obtain vorthai. I could make slaves reproduce again if you like.

Hehe nah its fine like it is, if i ever wanted my slaves to reproduce im sure i could find a way ;)

Hehe nah its fine like it is, if i ever wanted my slaves to reproduce im sure i could find a way ;)

True. Haecomus do reproduce in litters of 2-4, so it would make sense for them to grow on their own, but the hard life they go through probably gives them a high attrition rate.

Yeah besides we may not want them fraternizing with each other, need to concentrate on their work :p not their recreation hehe

I would go along with the voices suggesting that the trade rules are a bit too involved, but they seem workable to me.

Fulton don't forget you owe me a reply

To: Our blood-bound brother, Goros, King of the Romadi

The time has come to claim the death-price from the Manische. The grave of your son-in-law, Rodull, the husband of your eldest daughter, Rini, cries out to be watered with the sword-sweat of his killers. Come, join together with us with your finest warriors, and we will build a temple to Haeka from the skulls of our foes so that Rodull might be avenged and his shade rest in peace.

To: The Ever-victorious King Haecadem II of Werhold

I congratulate you on your victories, in the name of my husband Adalbrandr, whose name you avenged. Know that the Hrafn will not stand idly by while you fight on our behalf. Four hundred men, as well as supplies to feed more, will join your army as soon as they are able.

Fulton don't forget you owe me a reply

I'm waiting on another player. If I don't hear from him by the time I finish work tomorrow, I'll respond anyways.

To: Our blood-bound brother, Goros, King of the Romadi

The time has come to claim the death-price from the Manische. The grave of your son-in-law, Rodull, the husband of your eldest daughter, Rini, cries out to be watered with the sword-sweat of his killers. Come, join together with us with your finest warriors, and we will build a temple to Haeka from the skulls of our foes so that Rodull might be avenged and his shade rest in peace.

To: Goros, King of the Romadi
From: King Vigvitr, the chosen Raven-child, lord of the north, scion of

Even should we pile their skulls to the gates of Haeka's halls, it can ever repay the debt I owe the Manische. Even should we slay them all, it cannot repay a single tear my daughter has shed. Rodull is blood to me, as surely as if he were my own son. The Romadi cannot led a debt of blood go unpaid.

The army you march with is large already. I have set out the call for only our best and bravest warriors to join the hunt. My household guard, all Tiaka, all wild and free Romadi men, will accompany me along with those of my people brave enough to answer my call (between 200-300 warriors and aikings).

My seers say the ground will crack and crumble beneath the Manische. They will come to ensure our triumph. I will control the earth beneath as you control the birds above and the Emperor rules the men between.

I slit my hand and mark my oath in blood. I will not rest until my daughter can find peace.

Secret Memorandum to the Imperial Queen Mother

To: My Beloved Callista, Sister and Princess of the Xanfa

My beloved sister, eternal Princess of the Xanfa, hear my words. As your brother and closest kinsmen, as Father Matteo and Brother Miaeus are far, it is my responsibility to head Validira’s Royal Family.

Your recent actions, no matter what others may say, are in my eyes acceptable. For you are blood, and blood protects blood. Your actions are acceptable, but they are not the best course of action.

Remember your late husband, the Honorable Hroth IV. He dealt with many a foe in his time, and fought off many a coup. You remember the last one, the last coup attempt where Father firmly secured Validira a position in court by his actions?

What did Hroth IV do when he was victorious? He gave out mass pardons. None can deny that Hroth IV’s reign was filled with intrigue and plots. Yet he took them all with mercy and magnanimity. And remember the Snerkitti; when the voices of the North bayed for their blood, it was Validira who offered the voice of reason. Spare them, and show the world the strength of your will.

My beloved sister, I offer you the same words our Father Matteo offered Hroth IV. Spare the weak, and become the protectors of the weak. Show the world the strength of your will, your right to rule through glorious mercy.

The Hrafn come, demanding your trial by combat. They are not to be spurned. They are great warriors, and have been pillars of the Empire for centuries. They are loyal vassals who only seek the truth and what they perceive to be of righteousness. They would support Hroth V to the hilt if he were challenged by force.

My beloved sister, remember that your greatest protection lies not with force of arms. Your greatest protection lies with your legacy and bond with the late honorable Hroth IV. Take up his mantle, his legacy, as your shield. With it, you are invincible. No one in the Empire would dare slander the name of Hroth IV. Summon the old allegiances to Hroth IV, and use it to strengthen yourself.

You are unassailable under the cloth of Hroth IV. It was only when you decide to momentarily place it aside, as you did in the last year, that you became open to weakness. You were vulnerable for a moment. And in that moment, our enemies have gathered. It is not yet too late.

Take back on the shield that is the mantle and legacy of Hroth IV. Mercy and magnanimity will strengthen the spines of your allies and friends and win your enemies. Remember that you are no longer simply the Princess of Xanfa, but the Imperial Mother of Varica.

To: Our devoted brother, King Naxis

I thank you for your support and advice in these trying times. I will heed your advice and reign in what others have called my excesses. But the position of my son, the Emperor must be strengthened. Taka grows weak and I must be ready to fill his shoes as regent should he pass on. I wish for your support should such an unfortunate situation arise before our Emperor has matured enough to take the throne unaided.

Though I will stay my hand in most matters, let it be known that anyone who makes an attempt on my son or myself will not live through the night.

To: Our kinsman Vigvitr, King of the Ravens
From: The Shining King of the Eternal Throne, Hroth V (penned by Taka)

Though we have turned a blind eye to the slander against the Imperial Mother, your words ring true. Such accusations cannot go unanswered. Haeka will judge our mother, and he will find her innocent. As we both know, as all loyal men of Varica, of her innocence, surely this trial will not put the Imperial Mother at risk.

Send your judicial champion to Varica. In the Arena built by our ancestor the Emperor Hraku, for all of Varica to see, he shall face our champion, Vorchk. There they will fight to incapacitation or submission. Let Haeka’s judgment be true.

To: Hroth V, Emperor of Varica by the Favor of Haeka

Though it brings us no pleasure, we will name as prosecutor one Helgiverðr, a priest of Haeka and a warrior of Hrafn. We will also supply other priests of Haeka in order to perform the necessary rites of purification and protection against black magic so that all may be assured that Haeka's judgment shines through.

For anyone interested, Fulton gave me permission to determine the outcomes of the funeral games for Adalbrandr. For the objective games with a clear winner (fighting, wrestling, running, and archery), I used a random generator to determine the winners. There were also subjectively judged games, primarily various bardic competitions. The judge of that was the High Priest of Assfell. You can assume his biases ruled and various Assfell bards won out.

Spoiler Outcome of Funeral Games :

Spoiler Warrior Tournament :

Since I think this is the most prestigious competition, I went ahead and put effort into its details. First I randomized a single-elimination tournament bracket (the warriors drew lots to determine their opponent). Every participating nation had two representatives, but in order to make it so no one had byes, I had Tessilki supply one brave (and it turns out overmatched) warrior and Assfell, as the host, supply three. I used a random generator to determine all winners. I then replaced the nationality with actual warrior names for those instances where I had names. The tournament took place over five days, so if your guy lost when you don’t think he should have, just say he was injured the previous day and couldn’t fight his best, or maybe even was forced to withdraw completely.
Day 1
Teraldur defeats Rhenican
Gamar defeats Bexian
Gibraly defeats Darian
Validira defeats Oerdan
Varica defeats Nimosa
Spjor of Hrafn defeats Dolu
Kennar of Huroto defeats Tessilki
Werhold defeats Romadi
Vorchk of Varica defeats Darian
Oerdan defeats Thane Sigr of Reyli
Romadi defeats Validira
Thane Gnull of Gnott defeats Rhenican
Rulf of Huroto defeats Nimosa
Gibraly defeats Teraldur
Bexian defeats Gamars
Werhold defeats Dolu

Day 2
Teraldur defeats Gamar
Validira defeats Gibraly
Spjor of Hrafn defeats Varica
Werhold defeats Kennar of Huroto
Vorchk of Varica defeats Oerdan
Romadi defeats Thane Gnull of Gnott
Rulf of Huroto defeats Gibraly
Bexian defeats Werhold

Day 3
Validira defeats Teraldur
Werhold defeats Spjor of Hrafn
Vorchk of Varica defeats Romadi
Bexian defeats Rulf of Huroto

Day 4
Werhold defeats Validira
Vorchk of Varica defeats Bexian

Day 5
Werhold defeats Vorchk of Varica

Spoiler Archery :

This was semi-randomized, I kept randomizing the list until Gibraly, who I think has among the best archers in the land, got in the top five. Just so happened the first time they got in the top five they also took first.
1. Gibraly
2. Huroto
3. Gibraly
4. Tessilki
5. Assfell
6. Bexian
7. Romadi
8. Varica
9. Oerdan
10. Validira
11. Romadi
12. Gamars
13. Huroto
14. Teraldur
15. Darian
16. Nimosa
17. Oerdan
18. Darian
19. Gamars
20. Rhenican
21. Tessilki
22. Dolu
23. Assfell
24. Varica
25. Dolu
26. Bexian
27. Teraldur
28. Nimosa
29. Werhold
30. Werhold
31. Rhenican
32. Validira

Spoiler Foot Race :

A completely randomized list
1. Teraldur
2. Varica
3. Romadi
4. Rhenican
5. Varica
6. Assfell
7. Assfell
8. Darian
9. Oerdan
10. Darian
11. Werhold
12. Teraldur
13. Validira
14. Gibraly
15. Gibraly
16. Tessilki
17. Oerdan
18. Dolu
19. Bexian
20. Romadi
21. Gamars
22. Tessilki
23. Werhold
24. Huroto
25. Huroto
26. Gamars
27. Validira
28. Rhenican
29. Dolu
30. Nimosa
31. Nimosa
32. Bexian

Spoiler Wrestling :

The random generator seems to like Romadi.
1. Romadi
2. Dolu
3. Romadi
4. Tessilki
5. Bexian
6. Rhenican
7. Huroto
8. Varica
9. Darian
10. Gibraly
11. Oerdan
12. Teraldur
13. Dolu
14. Rhenican
15. Gibraly
16. Werhold
17. Huroto
18. Gamars
19. Assfell
20. Validira
21. Werhold
22. Gamars
23. Tessilki
24. Bexian
25. Validira
26. Nimosa
27. Varica
28. Teraldur
29. Darian
30. Assfell
31. Nimosa
32. Oerdan

It's been a really busy couple of weeks. I'm just getting over being sick too. I'd like to try the new trade rules, they will make things a whole lot easier on me but still give us more depth than the original, while giving us a ton less micromanagement than the current rules. I'll update stats to reflect this on the weekend so you guys can plan. I'll keep copies of the current stats in a backup just in case.

Orders due April. 6th at midnight Korean Standard Time. This will give me 3 days or so to send PMs to people who need to adjust due to new intelligence or send defensive orders before the weekend when I can begin work on the update.

I am joining as the Rheni.

I've been sick all week. Basically passing out as soon as I get home each day, when I go to work at all. I'm still a bit sick, but I'm doing better and will continue to do so.

Tonight I will put up finalized tweaked simplified trade rules and stats. I'll probably push back the deadline by a little bit because of the time it's taken me.

Welcome to the game Sheep.

Alright, the trade rules are now in place. Stats have been updated for all PCs and some NPCs. I have turned all banked luxuries into EP. If you would prefer to retain extra luxuries instead, please tell me. I have converted most non-military production into luxuries. Livestock were folded into both luxuries and food production. Since those livestock are still producing, they were not refunded at full price.

Orders are now due on April 8th, Korean Standard time due to my illness delaying the updated stats. Shadowbound, thank you for you help earlier. With the trade simplified, I no longer need a co-mod. You can stay as the Four Claw or assume a Haecomus kingdom if you want.

I’m really sorry this has killed some of the momentum. Don’t worry, the updates will still come quickly. Even more so now that I have less work to do.

Well someone has to start the trade diplo spam.

To: The Ever-Shining Emperor Hroth of Varica as well as his loyal subjects: Lord Thomas of Gibral, King Werhold of Werar, King Ban of Bexian, King Naxis of Xanfa, King Cul of Huroto, King Tyrion of Teral

We know not the ways of merchants, for we wave our hands and our wishes are granted, as is proper to a king. But our subjects come to us, asking that we gain from your mouths permission to sell the goods their hands have made in your realms and protection from all dangers as they travel. Thus we ask you leave on their behalf, consider this request not from our subjects, but from our very person. And if any of your men wish to sell their wares here, let them come, and they will find a city where gold is more common than bread and silver more than dirt on the ground.

Top Bottom