Guess the New Civs

But their Unique Ability conflicsts with Diplo Victory

Their unique ability is peacefully conquering City States. But then again if you have to mention it liek somebody said earlier on, it's useful against countering-enemy votes (i.e Siam's alliance with Jersualem for example, Austria could conquer Jersualem)

I have a feeling that it will either not be a permanent process and will perhaps involve a large amount of added influence over the city. I do not expect this to tie the city to Austria indefinitely, but rather to make them better friends.

If it is somehow permanent, which I really doubt, then it will have a very limited re-use.

They aren't going to add something like this and not balance it well.

I, for one, would love the inclusion on the Minaoans. Pretty significant Ancient civilization with a lot of different directions they could go with it. Obviously the language would be just a bit of an issue though.

Some cities not often mentioned.
Mercentile: Tallin and Riga. Was part of the Hanseatic League.And also Gdansk or Danzig; as a tribute to Lech Walesa and Solidarity. Rostock, Brugge, and Lubeck was important cities within the league

Some cities not often mentioned.
Mercentile: Tallin and Riga. Was part of the Hanseatic League.And also Gdansk or Danzig; as a tribute to Lech Walesa and Solidarity. Rostock, Brugge, and Lubeck was important cities within the league

Lubech is considered the capital and, to the best of my knowledge, isn't in any other city list. I definitely think that should be a mercantile city-state.

I think we need more religious city states the only one's are jerusalem and the vatican city.

Yeah, part of the original discussion was to see if any current city-states could be moved. I suggested Lhasa, since it's the heart of Tibet. The problem is many of the most important religious sites are inside other civs, usually Arabia or India.

I could see Ur as a religious city-state just to throw another one out there.

I think warsaw should be switched to religious back in the middle ages so 1200ad-1650ad guessing they were pretty gruesome to those who um did not believe in christianity. but i could be wrong

I realize I posted that in the wrong thread, I'll move it to the other one. I could see Warsaw as religious. Poland happens to be a very Catholic place. The problem is they aren't religious centers but religious followers.

Like already mentioned by an earlier poster, there are good potential Mesoamerican City States as well.

Tula/Tulum/Tulan being my favorite for a Religious city state because it was treated as the religous equivalent of a Babylon in the Mesoamerican world.

I think it's safe to assume that the last Civ will be a total curveball. They first announced 5 returning civs, then leaked the Huns, Austria and then, admittedly, Ethiopia. I could see something like Tibet, Inuit or another completely new civ.

Among old civs, the most likely are Sumer and the Zulu. New civs are possible, but you can never tell. Of course, the curveballs have all been in Europe, for what it's worth.

Back in March, I've heard a rumor that the remaining new civs are Ethiopia, Austria and "probably Nordic, like Sweden".

Now that Ethiopia and Austria have been confirmed, there is a chance that the rumor is true, although those 2 were still pretty easy to guess. So the last civ could be Sweden.

Even if it's true, I think there's still the possibility that Sweden is a scenario-only civ for the Into the Renaissance scenario. After all, 3 new European civs and no new Asian civ seem a bit unbalanced.

However, the intention with G&K scenarios seems to be using the scenarios to showcase new civs rather than creating scenario-only civs, which means all scenario civs are from the main game. If so, it's only natural to have Sweden.

I, for one, would love the inclusion on the Minaoans. Pretty significant Ancient civilization with a lot of different directions they could go with it. Obviously the language would be just a bit of an issue though.

I suggested Crete as a city-state for that very reason.

I realize I posted that in the wrong thread, I'll move it to the other one. I could see Warsaw as religious. Poland happens to be a very Catholic place. The problem is they aren't religious centers but religious followers.

How about Yerevan? Armenia was the first officially Christian country, so its capital makes sense as a religious state.

I think it's safe to assume that the last Civ will be a total curveball. They first announced 5 returning civs, then leaked the Huns, Austria and then, admittedly, Ethiopia. I could see something like Tibet, Inuit or another completely new civ.

I'm fairly sure (and hopeful) that it will be a tropical Asian civ - we have lots from temperate Asia, but Siam and India are all we have for that region, and it's one that's always been represented by India alone in Civ games past. The obvious candidates are Indonesia, the Khmer, or Burma for that region.

However, the intention with G&K scenarios seems to be using the scenarios to showcase new civs rather than creating scenario-only civs, which means all scenario civs are from the main game. If so, it's only natural to have Sweden.

I'd expect the scenarios to use only official game civs in G&K, yes, but do we know what states are represented in those scenarios? Is Sweden one of them? And where would Ethiopia (or the Celts) fit in it that was the plan, since neither is likely to be featured in any scenarios? In the popular min, Nordic = Viking, and we've got that covered (and as for the Swiss Vikings, they ended up founding Russia and becoming mercenaries for the Byzantines) - what was distinctive about late-medieval Sweden that would justify their inclusion?

I thought about Sweden. They fit the scenario well. However, as much as I'd like them, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be annoyed at yet another European civ.

If they are added, I pray it's Gustavus Adolphus and not Christina.

Re: Yerevan. That could work. The Armenian church has a long history. Historical Armenia was bigger than modern Armenia so I want to double check that city was just as important back at the height of Armenia (but I do see it's one of the oldest continually inhabited cities, which is a plus).

As has been said many times, adding Denmark rather than a generic "Vikings" makes perfect sense if Sweden is in the pipeline.

While I agree, I don't believe they planned it that way. I think the Danes were added long before they planned out the civs for the expansion.

Back in March, I've heard a rumor that the remaining new civs are Ethiopia, Austria and "probably Nordic, like Sweden".

Now that Ethiopia and Austria have been confirmed, there is a chance that the rumor is true, although those 2 were still pretty easy to guess. So the last civ could be Sweden.

Even if it's true, I think there's still the possibility that Sweden is a scenario-only civ for the Into the Renaissance scenario. After all, 3 new European civs and no new Asian civ seem a bit unbalanced.

As has been said many times, adding Denmark rather than a generic "Vikings" makes perfect sense if Sweden is in the pipeline.

Do not feed my fears, people. Nothing against Sweden, but 6 European civs out of 9 isn't a very interesting scenario, to say the least. Is the 9th Civ going to be revealed today (Sunday), for sure? I have to get ready for disappointments...

It'll be revealed tomorrow. I certainly don't know what it will be. If you need help lowering expectations, I will point out that the "Into the Renaissance" scenario seems to lead to the 30 Years War, where Sweden was a central player. It certainly could be logical to include them. I don't know if they will, just something to think about.

Top Bottom