Vassal breaks free

JulesDogg

Warlord
In my current game the Holy Roman Empire became my vassal. I also wiped out the Native Americans. My continent was now all mine.

So I go overseas to take the other continent. I quickly overrun the Vikings leaving them only one poor city and they become my vassal. I noticed the overseas cities were costing me a lot so I granted the former Viking cities independance and Saladin entered the game as my vassal. Then, for reasons I don't understand, the HRE suddenly broke free from me.

Can anyone explain the reasons why the HRE were able to break free? It was the last thing I expected and a pain in the butt.

Vassals ca break free if they have more than 50% of your pop AND land (too strong to be your ), or if they've lost more than 50% of their land (you're not protecting them). Note that this is CAN. They don't always do so. Certainly, leaving your protection while actively at war with another AI would not likely be helpful to them./

Did HRE peace vassal to you?

When it happened the message said that I had declared war on Charlemagne. All I did was grant independence to a far away land.

I re-ran the scenario from a save and placed military in all of Charlemagne's cities. Again I get the message that I declared war and all my garrisoned military get evicted to the border.

The vassal arrangement with Charlemagne was good prior to going near the Vikings, why would it change when I grant independence to former Viking lands?

Charles declared war on you? Did you demand a resource from him and he refused?

No, the message said I declared on him even though I did not.

To re-cap, Charlemagne of the HRE is my vassal on my continent. I capture several Viking cities overseas. Ragnar of the Vikings becomes my vassal. I grant independence to the former Viking cities. At that very moment the war horn sounds and a message pops up to say that I declared on Charlemagne. My troops in his lands are evicted and a state of war exists between us. He is no longer my vassal.

I beginning to think that this is a bug but that's just a guess.

My guess would be that Charlemagne had the possibility of breaking free since even before your war with Ragnar (he already had more than 50% of your pop and land), but for some reason decided that it was nice to be your vassal.
Then he saw you "losing" (ie granting independence to) a lot of territory/cities, and came to the conclusion that you were too weak to protect him anymore.

Doesn't really sound like AI behaviour though.

As Traius say if HRE become 50% less (in relation to you) he may break free.
Perhaps your overseas expansion made him come under this treshold, especially if you got another vassal.

No, the message said I declared on him even though I did not.

To re-cap, Charlemagne of the HRE is my vassal on my continent. I capture several Viking cities overseas. Ragnar of the Vikings becomes my vassal. I grant independence to the former Viking cities. At that very moment the war horn sounds and a message pops up to say that I declared on Charlemagne. My troops in his lands are evicted and a state of war exists between us. He is no longer my vassal.

I beginning to think that this is a bug but that's just a guess.

Did you grant independence on the same turn the Vikings capitulated. If so, reload and wait a turn or two. Then try granting independence and see if war still erupts.

Did you grant independence on the same turn the Vikings capitulated. If so, reload and wait a turn or two. Then try granting independence and see if war still erupts.

Independence was granted several turns after Ragnar capitulated. Can't get my head around this one :crazyeye:

Did you just try to liberate the unwanted Viking cities back to the Vikings after they capitulated? (Vs. creating a colony with the formerly Viking cities.)

Did you just try to liberate the unwanted Viking cities back to the Vikings after they capitulated? (Vs. creating a colony with the formerly Viking cities.)

The OP of this thread stated he granted complete independence. Saladin took control over the former Viking cities.

Yes; I'm suggesting that he go back and liberate instead and see if that makes a difference.

Did you patch your game?
I do remember a bug when creating a colony, a random dow will happen.

Another possibility (see spoiler) when an event pops up with a dow option.
I haven't tested this in the picture, but a vassal can instigate a war between their master and a foreign civ.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom