Pacal II/MERLOT Diplomacy

The Mike

Warlord
So we met Pacal, who is in a rough spot like us, so they are basically our friend by default.

I think a Mathematics for Alphabet trade is imminent.

We should find out what we can about Ragnar from them as well. My gut feeling is that Ragnar can be convinced to join our side, though I can't explain why.

Ragnar will only join our side if they feel trying to hit Pacal will be too costly. And that's unlikely right now since the other 4 already have macemen unlocked. However, eventually Ragnar and Carthage have to DoW each other. I see he just placed another city on Carthage's landmass. It's just a matter of time...

We are also not going to trade math for Alpha. We are going to trade EVERYTHING WE HAVE, for EVERYTHING THEY HAVE. No matter how lop-sided any deals may be. We can not afford to treat this like a business transaction.

I agree with total tech parity and we should really think through a longer term collective tech plan, after Alpha and Math. Let's find out exactly what their tech capacity is.

We'll need defensive techs (LB + XB) fairly soon. The alliance is teching much faster than I like - I guess that what you get from a heavy food-commerce start.

Ragnar will only join our side if they feel trying to hit Pacal will be too costly. And that's unlikely right now since the other 4 already have macemen unlocked. However, eventually Ragnar and Carthage have to DoW each other. I see he just placed another city on Carthage's landmass. It's just a matter of time...

We are also not going to trade math for Alpha. We are going to trade EVERYTHING WE HAVE, for EVERYTHING THEY HAVE. No matter how lop-sided any deals may be. We can not afford to treat this like a business transaction.

:goodjob:

we gift them everything we have as soon as they have alpha, inform them about our research plans, and we politely ask what they can offer us.

do they have alpha?

diplomats, please write something in the direction obs pointed out (...hello pacal-team, we will happily share all our technologies with you. can you provide alpha for this deal? we can give you metal casting, math, soon theology (with all pretechs) and are going for construction. if you could provide hbr anytime soon, it would be great, because we have access to phants. we feel like we really should be closely working together because blahblah 4 against us, blahblah, we also should try to establis traderoutes ASAP to share the phants with you if needed...)

I don't think we can trade them our fants or anything, since we'd need astronomy for that.

I have a family emergency and will not be around for the next several days -- I can't write up a message for Pacal.

no we dont. as soon as they have a city on the central landmass, we should be able to trade ressources with them (i think...)

We can't trade resources with anyone else on the central landmass either, even though we can see the cities and have traderoutes to them. We need astronomy I believe. Also, Pacal already does have a city on the other landmass.

Dear Team Pacal II,

We have recently contacted you in the game. First of all, we hope that our meeting can lead to an alliance between our teams. This game has been hard on us, as the other 4 teams have ignored us, probably similar to what happens to you. To us, this means you are our friends automatically.

We have several deals in mind. Would you agree to an Alphabet - Mathematics trade? And in addition to that, we need to find a way to establish trade routes with each other.

Best Regards,
DMOC for Team Mavericks

Something like this?

I would go for even more, just say "it's 4 vs us 2, we need to help eachother out as much as possible, when you get alpha we'll give you all our techs and you give us all of yours." No point beating about the bush and worrying about individual trades and beaker costs. Even if the deal is lopsided, anything that makes them stronger makes our enemies weaker.

I would go for even more, just say "it's 4 vs us 2, we need to help eachother out as much as possible, when you get alpha we'll give you all our techs and you give us all of yours." No point beating about the bush and worrying about individual trades and beaker costs. Even if the deal is lopsided, anything that makes them stronger makes our enemies weaker.

:goodjob: yes, no point in doing a beaker count and individual trades.

"it's 4 vs us 2, we need to help eachother out as much as possible, when you get alpha we'll give you all our techs, which are math, metal casting, priest, mono and poly and it would be great if you would give us all of your techs then.

we also have elephants (2 of them) which we would like to share with you. so we need to find a way to trade ressources.

we also would like to coordinate research with you. our next goals are hbr and construction, to make best use of the elephants. it would be ideal if you could research construction or hbr after math."

...something like this. no need in keeping back any info.

this is the message from them, no one checked our email?

Greetings from His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I of Team Merlot!

It is with much joy that we finally are able to greet the nation of Team Mavericks! As your people are most likely aware of, we are already at war with two of the members of the four-way alliance that has been established between the other teams, and one of the reasons we are at war with them is because Team Quatronia decided to sink our scout boat that was trying to locate your people.

As things are headed in this world, we are hoping to quickly establish a mutual and full alliance with your nation, to coordinate research and collaborate on trying to minimize some of the advantage the nations of the alliance has already gained.

His Majesty would also like to inquire if your nation has any open agreements with any of the nations in the four-way alliance? We have only the two wars at the moment.

We are eagerly awaiting your response, and look forward to a hopefully long-term beneficial collaboration with you!

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Head Diplomat of Merlot
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I

I sent Snaaty's message with some addition:

Dear Team Merlot,

We apologize for delay in answer, but we will try to get back to you faster next time. At this point we find ourselves out of any deals with any of the other nations (we didn't even trade with anyone so far). It seems to us that rest of the world felt endangered with our fast Wonder advances and our gifted players who established these tactics.

At this point we feel no need to withhold any information from you and recommend following:

it's 4 vs us 2, we need to help each other out as much as possible, when you get alpha we'll give you all our techs, which are math, metal casting, priest, mono and poly and it would be great if you would give us all of your techs then.

we also have elephants (2 of them) which we would like to share with you. so we need to find a way to trade resources.

we also would like to coordinate research with you. our next goals are hbr and construction, to make best use of the elephants. it would be ideal if you could research construction or hbr after math.

On behalf of team Mavericks
Ahmedhadzi Junior Diplomat

Good stuff Ahmedahzi, its also good to see that they're on board. We definately need to chat with them about other more strategic stuff as well i.e what is their settling strategy? What is their land like? How can we get trade routes? Also we need to pick their brains to see how they think they can turn the 4vs2 into a 3v3.
At least we have a friend now :)

Perfect, it's good to see they are on board as well. I was worried there might be some issues the way they're role-playing/governing their team with their 'King" and all, but it seems the two of us are on the same page. To be honest in a four versus two scenario, I'd take the strong 'two' over the shaky four (see: Carthage/Vikings city scenario. It's clear there's something amiss between these two). It's also good to see Q as a mutual pain-in-the-butt here - they're ignoring us while sinking their work boat meant to find us. We don't have to worry about any diplomatic complications if they were in cahoots with Q.

A pvm from indianSmoke:

we have no elephants, so idially we want feudalism next, but since we are 2vs4 it would propably be best to tech techs they already have teched to get the bonus.

We have Alpha in 2 turns, so lets wait and see maybe they tech construction or HBR by then.

We have around 400 cash so can tech 100% a long time.

BTW have you got a city in central continent?

What do you want me to send them back?

Yes, we have a city and tech HBR next?

What do you want me to send them back?

Yes, we have a city and tech HBR next?

more or less like this, yes... ...add some more infos:

we have 1 city on the central landmass and 3 cities on our starting island. we are about to found the next city there within 2 turns to claim elephants on the central landmass. our elephant city is deep inland in the jungel.

our plan is to get out fast 3-5 cities on the central landmass because there is great land nearby our starting island (green land with lots of food. we are going a FE, so we could whip an army fast). we want to pack our cities close and then gear up for war immediately with elephants/catas against the closest of the 4 enemies. waiting would only make things worse, because we would fall further behind in tech. we think that the 4 might make the mistake in teching some infra-techs and therefore we see our window of opportunity up to turn 120 or so...

coordinating this with you would be great. if we could get a landbased connection on the central continent would also help.

so the techpath of our choice would be:
we tech hbr, you tech construction after math (establishing traderoutes would be great to gift you elephants too). after that we can go for feudalism.

we have a chariot scouting the inner continent.

+repeat that we have 2 elephants and ASAP when we manage to establish traderoutes we want to give them one of them

+we also can tech construction after math, but hbr would be better i think to get stables up for shock elephants...

They told me in pvm that they want to go for feudalism for long bows. I said I really don't think defensive will work vs humans as it does vs really dumb AIs. We will try to have a private chat on msn or skype or something since the game is bugged and won't allow multiple log-ins anymore.

I'm not quite sure we can get and sustain a trade route with Merlot. If they don't have ivory, how is Const/HBR supposed to benefit them in the short to mid term? IMHO, Machinery > Feudalism in that case.

Top Bottom