Useful Patches for Civ 3 Conquests v1.22

Hmm, I get the impression that most of the stuff people want here, are "modifications" of the game/the rules or "new features", but not really "patches".
Lanzelot... I think of it as Additions and Corrections. What is the difference between a patch and a Modification or New Feature? All make changes, corrections or additions.

As for GOTM, certainly all would play with the same Game Biq so that would not pose a problem.

The over all suggestions I have read basically deal with what players want concerning the AI. Otherwise, more Editor settings to allow more control of desired features.

If adjustments could be made where the AI can do the same as the Human Player such as use Land Transports or use Artillery outside the cities for Attacks, the game and other games created would be more balanced, realistic and challenging.

It was a huge mistake not allowing the AI to use land transport and artillery as a Human can.

The 0 move cost on railroads where a unit slides across an entire map does not allow for the kind of realism desired. The units do not use any animation as they slide across the railroad.

I Plan to make an Old Steam Engine Train with animations that show while the train is moving on the Tracks. The Train will be a Land Transport with Passenger Car and I would like the AI to use it the same as a Human Player.
...I believe I can get around the Railroad problems but seriously need the AI to use Land Transports as easily as it uses ships to transport units. That would be a Great breakthrough for all Games.

Lanzelot... I think of it as Additions and Corrections. What is the difference between a patch and a Modification or New Feature? All make changes, corrections or additions.

As for GOTM, certainly all would play with the same Game Biq so that would not pose a problem.

I'm not so sure. There are things that are controlled by the .exe and not by the biq file. Just as an example: if one player plays with the standard game, where cities can work a "big fat cross" of 20 tiles plus city center, and another player uses a modified game that allows those "big cities" with 44 worked tiles plus city center, it would not be a fair competition...

And on these pages here there are lots and lots of other suggestions that would give an unfair advantage, if one player can use the feature and another one can't.

Ok, in the GOTM competition, the GOTM staff could simply require "this game needs to be played in Antal-version x.y". But just consider the HoF, where games are compared against games that are more than a decade old. Here we certainly can't allow modifications of the game which would give today's players an advantage over the old legendary games that are currently occupying top spots in the HoF tables...

Just imagine: with such a "monster city" of 44 tiles, the 20K culture victory would be a piece of cake... You could probably beat the current record for 20K victory by a thousand years... :D For official competitions like this, we need to keep an "unmodified" Civ3 game. (Otherwise it will no longer be "Civ3".)

Lanzelot... I understand what you are saying and basically agree, however, I still believe all could play with the same .exe and Biq files, unmodified or modified. I also believe there is certainly a way to see what the players are using to keep all fair.
...one way is to check saved game play to see if someone is using a different .exe and or Biq.

Antal1987... another annoying area is in the City Screen under Luxuries.
IF possible, can the Parentheses around the number of Luxuries be removed?

They disallow 2 digit numbers within the same area and move into the Luxury Images. See ScreenShot. This usually happens toward the End Game when Players gain 2 digit Luxuries.

Not sure why the Luxury Images were programed so close to the Number of Luxuries but if the Parentheses cannot be removed, perhaps the Luxury Image Location can be moved to the right 6 or 7 pixels.

Attachments

• Luxuries_City_Screen.png
    Luxuries_City_Screen.png
    497.4 KB · Views: 282
Hmm, I get the impression that most of the stuff people want here, are "modifications" of the game/the rules or "new features", but not really "patches".

Correct. This forum has the word 'customization' in its title. It's literally our middle name. Some of these suggestions fit the category of 'bugs', which can only be defined as those things that we've decided the programmers couldn't have intended in the first place and need to be fixed. These, I think, are properly 'fixed' with a patch.

But the category is still subjective. For instance, I could argue that the 'AI doesn't use land transports' problem is a bug because it skews a significant advantage to the human player, and no competent programmer would have designed that deliberately. The AI uses sea transports, after all.

But certainly in this forum, the 'modifications' category is also an important one. I think that the interests of modders would be best served if as many of these sorts of fixes are integrated into a upgraded editor as flag options, rather than as patches. This would allow modders to decide the sticky questions of usefulness and balance for themselves.

Antal, I know you're doing the best that you can while being bombarded with requests like a sandwich maker in a busy deli. As a supporter of this deli, I'm happy to see it this busy, and to see the great demand for your product. Hey, this joint is hoppin! If there's anything that we 'regulars' can do to help you, just ask. We're all volunteers here, happy to wipe the sweat from your brow, or pitch in wherever we can.

I do hope you mean this patch

Civ3Conquests_noraze_c_no_unit_limit.exe

which gives you unlimited units,city and no raze.

Since I believe we got more than one of these extended patches.
This one takes of all the stuff. City, Units and NoRaze

I do believe this is the thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327919

I meant the one you pointed a link to, plus features added by Antal.

Is it possible to fix the bug with Anti-Aircraft guns?

When a plane is shot down, you only see a rocket going up from the anti-aicraft-gun unit instead of its animation.

I want to see its animation :)

Hi Antal,

did you have any luck finding the resource bug on the expanded city tile limit?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13239510&postcount=43

I have another idea to avoid the 31 civilisations limt, but I do not know if this is much easier than "real" more than 31 civilisations in game:

Keep the in game limit at 31, but increase the limit at the selection screen. So one can have as many civs as one like in storage.

This would be a big increase in possibilities as it would be no longer nessecary to remove a civ or leader in favour of another. Even two leaders for one country could be possible with a little twist (example: China with Empress Wu and Redchina with Mao or France with Joan d'Arc and First Empire with Emperor Napoleon).

I really hope that this makes sense, as I am not a native english speaker. :blush:

Thanks for your great work so far! :goodjob:

Top Bottom