Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

traius

His own worst enemy
Back to back terrorist incidents in Canada this week. I am just lucky I didn't have class today;I go to the University of Ottawa, right in the middle of the downtown-lockdown.

I just hope that they get caught quickly; as of this time, one of the gunmen is dead, and the other is believed to still be at large. There could also be a third gunman.

Today Canada's parliament was supposed to debate new legislation to allow law enforcement to arrest individuals suspected of radicalizing others on social media, among other things. As a strong believer in free speech, I do not believe that communication of any kind should be subject to potential incarceration. But I think that is the way Canada is now headed. I was uncertain, given a conservative majority and a recent terrorist incident, that free speech could continue in Canada. Given yet another incident, inside the parliament buildings themselves, I now think that free speech will almost certainly be curtailed in Canada.

I hope that this is not the case. Canada is great because it is free and diversity of thought is allowed, and for no other particular reason. The land itself is just land, like any other. The culture of freedom, though not completely unique, is what is special. If any other Canadians read this, remember what makes Canada great.

The bill was supposed to be tabled today, but it has been postponed due to the incidents. As such, it's exact wording is unknown. What is known is that it was supposed to expand the anti-terror legislation in Canada to allow CSIS and law-enforcement agencies more power to track and extend witness protection/confidentiality. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/isi...anded-anti-terror-laws-critics-fear-1.2801884.
However, after the running-over of a Canadian Military Warrant officer earlier this week, the police said that they couldn't arrest the man under the current laws, as he had not yet committed an arrestable offense.
The buzz on news networks in Canada was that the new legislation would include provisions to arrest men like him (currently, 90 people in Canada are being tracked for either having fought with ISIS or attempting to leave Canada to join ISIS; the man who ran over the Warrant Officer attempted to travel to Turkey to join ISIS but had his passport revoked so he could not leave Canada). But since he didn't commit any terrorist acts because we stopped him from doing so, there was nothing to arrest him for.
This was 2 days ago, and it was believed that the newly proprosed expansion of anti-terrorism law would include something so that a man in his exact scenario would be arrestable, as that is what CSIS and the RCMP would like. But the only possible thing to charge him with is a blending of hate=speech and anti-terrosism: anti-radicalisation laws. It's only conjecture what the bill could include, but people more informed than myself seem to believe so (within the canadian media).

I work in a little way out of downtown for the Federal gov`t .... just glad we weren`t also put in lockdown for the day :/

Because I threw it up here, and no mods moved it. As long as no one else replies, it will find its way out of the most recent discussions and disappear for all intents and purposes.

Moderator Action: Locked, please use the Off Topic section if you want to discuss this topic further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom