Beyond Earth

I'll try the demo at some point, but I don't expect much.
It seems that even the civ 5 fans think its pretty poor..... and thats saying something! :lol:
There is a poll on 1UPT versus MUPT in the Civilization 5: Beyond Earth forums. Naturally being there, 1UPT is winning by quite a bit. Feel free to drop by and cast a vote for MUPT. :)
I noticed it too, and did exactly that ;)

I see someone has achieved victory in Civilization 5: Beyond Earth on the highest difficulty level with only one city (OCC) and in 250 turns. Lol.

Yeah it seems as if all the discussion is how ICS is the optimal way to play.
Again.
Always.
Idiots.

Seriously how do you design an empire/civ w.e based game and not test "hmm what if we built all cities together as close as possible and ignored everything else". Same exact thing with civ v vanilla. It should honestly embarrass the developers.... honestly just hire at least one person on staff who is "good" at 4X games, if only to prevent yourself looking this bad.

I do like how ciV players (who I might not respect all that much ^^) consider it too easy / report glaring gameplay / balance issues.

It's also a very bad sign when even the bought and paid for review sites refuse to give it 5/5 stars and stick with 4/5 while describing opening game cinematics for half the review.

Yeah it seems as if all the discussion is how ICS is the optimal way to play.
Again.
Always.
Idiots.

Seriously how do you design an empire/civ w.e based game and not test "hmm what if we built all cities together as close as possible and ignored everything else". Same exact thing with civ v vanilla. It should honestly embarrass the developers.... honestly just hire at least one person on staff who is "good" at 4X games, if only to prevent yourself looking this bad.

I do like how ciV players (who I might not respect all that much ^^) consider it too easy / report glaring gameplay / balance issues.

It's also a very bad sign when even the bought and paid for review sites refuse to give it 5/5 stars and stick with 4/5 while describing opening game cinematics for half the review.

Yeah. Civilization 5 actually looks good in comparision to Civilization 5: Beyond Earth. Lol.

It is rather amusing to see some of them so upset. Can't say they weren't warned. ;)

Gonna download the demo and give it a go. Can't be negative about something I havent tried.... But will most likely come back with a sour taste :(
Firaxis really needs to "shake the bag", and bring in someone who can think outside the box and at the same time consider what is doable and workable and what just sounds good on paper.

Edit

First impression wasnt as bad as expected. Since I never really got into SMAC, and since this is not a civ civ, I actually kinda enjoyed the start of the game. I'll try a bit more later today, and see where it brings me

I don't think of it other than a civ5 mod with a space theme.
Civ5 is not a good strategy game, that is all that is to say.

I played the demo. It is essentially Civilization 5 with a pasted on Sci-fi theme. There are a few interesting innovations but for the most part it is dull and lifeless.

Since it borrows heavily from Civilization 5, it still has terrible diplomacy, 1 UPT which the AI still can't figure out how to use and unstable multiplayer.

The UI is considered to be a step back from even Civilization 5.

It also carries a hefty price tag.

If you want an honest review, check out Tom Chick's:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/10/25/occasionally-thrilling-beyond-earth-cant-quite-get-beyond-civilization-v/

Brilliant review. This quote from the review is just CiV in a nutshell... " But the more you play, the more you discover something else. The more you discover that these decisions pile up and amount to a lot of nothing. There are so many choices to be made, and so many of them are inconsequential for so many different reasons."

I won't for the life of me going to buy this game (Beyond Earth). Unless it comes on sale for 3$ or a demo.

Brilliant review. This quote from the review is just CiV in a nutshell... " But the more you play, the more you discover something else. The more you discover that these decisions pile up and amount to a lot of nothing. There are so many choices to be made, and so many of them are inconsequential for so many different reasons."

I won't for the life of me going to buy this game (Beyond Earth). Unless it comes on sale for 3$ or a demo.

Yeah, it's hard to believe they want $50 for it. ($90 USD in Australia. :eek:)

95% off sounds about right.

There is a 100 turn demo, anyway.

Dont fall into the trap! I bought it 1 week ago and im already back here on Civ 4. BE is very tempting and looks cool and it feels awesome (the first time only)to assemble spacecraft, schoose colonists, have quests... It is very fun to play the first game and then the fun-curve steeply droops the longer you play. Its very brooken. You are never ever threatened on highest difficulty and health penalty is weak so ICS is the way to go. Its all about ICS + traderoutes ( wich are way overpowered around 5H 4F per route and there can be 3per city) and they have to be reassigned about every 15-20turn i think. So what you will do the most part is reassigning traderoutes and every city has insane production so most units are built in 1 or 2 turns. This unitspam combined with 1upt makes everything a booring hell to manage. Everything is fun at start when you explore, do quests and kill aliens but gets moer and more booring. Also quests are the same for every game so its only fun the first time. If attacked just take out melee units and ais range units will bombard your city with 0hp so u can easily kill the rest. No productionlines can be made so you will have to choose production for every city about every turn lategame. This and reassigning traderoutes gives little time for funny thing like warring so interest is lost at this point.

Most of the folks here on the Civ4 forums don't like Civ5. It is a different game, with different assumptions, and a different set of criteria to optimize. So, if you've played Civ5 and enjoyed it even a little, then consider Beyond Earth.

I don't have the game yet; I also recall a number of Civ5 patches being issued pretty steadily after the Vanilla release which addressed some bugs. Expect similar patches to address some gameplay issues and improve balance.

Adopted a wait and see and so far it doesn't seem worth it at all. Learned my lesson with civ 5 which I still haven't played since the weekend it was released. :lol:

Dreaming of a good civ 6 is a waste of time. They released a game with obvious basic gameplay flaws. The designer knew this and everyone decent at the game said this. Problem is the vast majority of sales do not come from serious gamers. Did they lose a lot of money on civ 5? I was under the impression they expanded their market base to a great deal of softcore gamers. There's no reason for them to turn back now. The series as a serious strategy game is dead. It lives on as a SIMS historical roleplay game now.

It hurts to read this, but it is true.

Download the CIV mod Planetfall. It's pretty decent. I never played SMAC, but others have said that Planetfall is an effort to mod CIV as a follow on to SMAC. Since it is a CIV mod, the price is right. All you risk is the time to try it out.

I have played (and still play) SMAX a lot. Planetfall is very cool and well worth playing. I still play SMAX more though.

Drew is right i fear, in these times of social media nonsense quality dies out -.-
From an interesting article i just did read:

Most marketing departments seem to spend:

85% of their time discussing and debating SM: which are the best social media channels and how should they be used, when, how, and by whom...?
10% of their time discussing and debating marketing issues: what is the message to whom and why should they buy from us when they could buy from the competition?
5% of their time discussing the product/service: have we got the right product with the right features and benefits for our target customers?

Drew is right i fear, in these times of social media nonsense quality dies out -.-
From an interesting article i just did read:

Most marketing departments seem to spend:

85% of their time discussing and debating SM: which are the best social media channels and how should they be used, when, how, and by whom...?
10% of their time discussing and debating marketing issues: what is the message to whom and why should they buy from us when they could buy from the competition?
5% of their time discussing the product/service: have we got the right product with the right features and benefits for our target customers?

Those activities and proportions seem tame compared to what political campaigning looks (or at least, feels) like:

95% of their time discussing how to demonize the other candidates, or otherwise digging up dirt on them.

>4% of their time looking for more corporate sponsors

<1% of their time discussing actual issues.

Top Bottom