Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Regarding the one and a half to two year game development timeline, I can't help but recall how long it took them to "finish developing" Civ3, which in my book came with the release of Conquests... How many years was it between start of development on Civ3 and the release of Conquests?

On the other hand, they did eventually "finish" the game (CTP2 by contrast, was never finished with respect to bug fixes). I guess I am willing to get it piece meal like Civ3 as long as they eventually provide a finished, reliable product!

You need to be able to use excess food from one city to feed another. That is what I wish for the most. That and being able to use the enemy roads, as one would in real life.

Thanks for posting all this. I can't wait for Civ IV to come out!

Hopefully it'll come out sooner than dh_epic expects it to though :D

Hello. I have been reading about the release date for Civ4 and thought that I'd pass on this bit of information (for what it's worth).
While doing a little post-Christmas shopping, I had an opportunity to stop at a game retailer called EB Games (formerly Electronics Boutique (sp?)). While there I asked the clerk if they had any info on Civ4. He told me that they are currently taking pre-release orders for the game and expecting a release date of October 15, 2005. I know that this conflicts with the information posted here (early 2006 release). I would fully expect for EB Games' date to be pushed back, but it is the most solid date that I have heard so far. I say that it is the most solid so far with the thought in mind that retailers need to know when a game is coming out so that they can clear the necessary shelf space. As I said, take it for what it is worth, but I thought that I'd pass it along.

Well, if it is true, then good news. I guess that though we should wait until they announce it, just so we're sure.
Thanks for the info though. :)
[Edit] I put it up, just in case.

Chuck2280 said:
Hello. I have been reading about the release date for Civ4 and thought that I'd pass on this bit of information (for what it's worth).
While doing a little post-Christmas shopping, I had an opportunity to stop at a game retailer called EB Games (formerly Electronics Boutique (sp?)). While there I asked the clerk if they had any info on Civ4. He told me that they are currently taking pre-release orders for the game and expecting a release date of October 15, 2005. I know that this conflicts with the information posted here (early 2006 release). I would fully expect for EB Games' date to be pushed back, but it is the most solid date that I have heard so far. I say that it is the most solid so far with the thought in mind that retailers need to know when a game is coming out so that they can clear the necessary shelf space. As I said, take it for what it is worth, but I thought that I'd pass it along.

October 15th!!! My birthday :cooool: You guys know what to get me now ;) .

[party] :bday: :dance:

I hope it comes out sooner than I expect too ;)

It would be nice if it comes out early, but I wouldn't be cursing them if it doesn't. I keep on thinking about a recently released game Atari published that was no where near 'complete' and full of bugs and all manner of glitches.

But this game has got me feeling excited. So many new implementations made. It should be a real big overhaul for the Civ series. And whoever publishes it, well I hope Firaxis won't be too pressured by their demands of a finish date

missed my birthday by 1 day... Oct 14!!! Ill get my license taht day so ill be able to drive to pick it up the next day :)

Just remember that nothing is official though.
Fact is, we can expect it by the end of 2005, but just when isn't very clear yet (in fact, it's verry blured).
GameStop.com has the release as Oct 17.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=646074
It even lists a price, which is just a guess I would assume, but we can all agree on that Civ IV will probably cost what they have up.

...However, unfortunately they pretty much mess up every other info they have about Civ IV over there (dev/publisher)...

"Firaxis has designed the game so it fits the styles of different people. You can play a quick online game with a friend, or play long, ruthless campaigns lasting months."

Online play in the civ franchise has always been somewhat lacking. Civ3 was highly disfunctional until the later stages of development.

Long campaigns are only good if they're a continuous challenge (i.e. you want the player to be dealing with problems the whole time, not just micromanaging most of the time--and clicking end turn a lot--until a war happens).

"New civilizations will be featured in Civ IV."
"More new technologies will also be brought to the game."

This is marketing. Obviously you will be able to mod civs and techs. The more important question is what new features will be included and will they be moddable, and if so, to what extent?

Civrules said:
Well, you also have to take into account that a lot of people believed originally that it would be released much later.

That hasn't been ruled out yet. Lots of big titles these days go over their stated deadline.

Parthius said:
On the other hand, they did eventually "finish" the game (CTP2 by contrast, was never finished with respect to bug fixes).

If addressing all a program's bugs are synonymous with completion then Civ3 has yet to be completed; the program still has a significant number of bugs.

IMO, playtesting should place emphasis on bug-testing in order to minimize the number of post-release bugs. The total number of playtesters for Civ3/PTW/C3C was in the multiple hundreds. Civ4 should have at least as much.

Well, I originally intended to post this when more major news came out, but it seems that our predictions for more info to come soon were not very accurate.

So, what I’ve posted is a slightly redesigned thread, with some rumors and some new presumptions from the magazine screenshots.
A rumor that Take-Two (which we have known since the 19th when it was mentioned at Apolyton) purchased the Civilization Franchise. Take it for what it is worth.

[EDIT] One thing I forgot to mention is that I moved away some more obvious information from the Presumptions section. An example is the Game Engine, which I think will be the same one that Pirates! uses because of the whole style...

warpstorm said:
But Firaxis had said in the spring that they had been playing MP games for months...
What is it that they're playing? does this mean that the game is already in the later development phase? (That is, little more will go into the game where concepts where mechanics are concerned?)

PLEASE elaborate on this.

I don't know (and couldn't tell if I did), but at the GDC last March Soren said that they were playing MP games of Civ4 for months already back then.

So far, it seems consistant that Take2 will be the publisher.
Check out the two news stories:
http://ir.take2games.com/releases.cfm

They don't mention Civ IV or Firaxis, but we will be hearing more in the near future.

Today, you can see two changes.
First off, I've used the new BB anchor tags which TF just added.
These make it pretty convinient to move around the thread. Now, you don't even need to scroll around. This is based on what I had in the Pirates! Prerelease Info.

Another change is the color of the thread. Some people have suggested that the red color is distractiong or hard to read (which was true). Now, most of the text is black or the Navy blue color.

Hehe, it might be hard to get used to the new look (since the red has been up for so long), but you'll get used to it. ;)

i hope they will add a decent realistic earth map (preferably a mega-one) from the start instead of having to wait for ages for people like TETurkhan to create one. (TET, you're the best!!!)

Top Bottom