Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

In reference to the stuff about civ IV not coming out fast enough. I dont really care how long it takes. Ive got civ 3 to keep me going until then. Sure we would all like it to come out soon, but I would rather have them make a better game than come out with it fast. Im sure most of you agree.We dont want a cool-looking game that filled with bugs. All that said...Icant waittill civ 4 comes out :)
PS great thread Civrules, very neat

With reference to the talented people here making the game.

People wanted corruption.
I hate it.
People wanted...."our bomber missed." and " our artillery missed. " for greater realism.
I find it incredibly boring and a terrible waste of time.
Totally pointless.

Anything built or designed by a committee is a disaster...if it ever gets finished, that is.
You need a driving leader, a dictator.

DYP is very good add-on for PTW and CFC - unfortunately it has many problems. I have tried to make it work on 5 separate installs and still the same problem re-occurs. Missing art\unit\tigerII\tigerII.ini - always a missing file somewhere. When Civ4 is prepared an extensive technology tree is tantamount only to government & foreign relations.
The DYP add-on takes Civ3... to a new level. The game becomes more of an experience rather than a 3-5 day game. There is a huge difference; therefore my input would be to explore a longer broader technological tree and a more lineal game as an option, depending on what type of victory type you are interested in; I personally always chose military domination therefore the tech tree for military developments could lead away from the humanitarian tree - for example. DYP is the start now let’s make it work as an integral part of the Civ#. The icons need to get worked out.
I would also like to mention that the people working on DYP and Civ3 PTW/CFC have done an excellent job making and keeping Civ in the top straggly game spot ever! KUDOS, keep up the good work!!! Sid you have come along way since Cities of Gold. I remember

:goodjob:
Mooseman

Well, after more than a month from the last update, it's nice that we can get just a small March news bit that confirms many of our suspicions that Civ IV will be using NDL's Gamebryo Engine.

Here's the link:
http://www.ndl.com/press_release_template.cfm?release=20050310

NDL have also redesigned their site.

I've also removed the Presumptions section because I think we can go for months before we find out that these "rumors" get confirmed, or not.
I've also added more details from Soren's PowerPoint.

You can also see Firaxis and other companies talk about the engine itself here:
http://www.gamebryo.com/gamebryo-customer-video.cfm

[EDIT]
I re-read this and this caught my attention...:
“Firaxis’ decision to use Gamebryo in Sid Meier's Civilization IV ® marks the beginning of a very exciting 2005,” said John Austin, president and chief executive officer of NDL. “Sid Meier’s Pirates!(R) is one of the best looking Gamebryo titles to date and we are excited to further develop our relationship with Firaxis. By developing titles in two different genres with two completely unique graphic environments, Firaxis continues to demonstrate the versatility and flexibility of the Gamebryo engine."

Perhaps it is hinting that Pirates! and Civ IV will not be completely the same (graphics-wise) after all?
I'm not exactly sure what this means, but when we see some new screenshots, then we'll know.

Something that caught my eye while surfing Firaxis page on 'Ask Sid':

Question: What are Firaxis' future plans?
Sid: Well, we're still working on Pirates! for the Xbox, and Civilization IV is well into development. We've also got a bunch of other great games in the works. I can't say what they are yet, but stay tuned.

The absence of information from Firaxis regarding the game is striking. As I remember, by March 2001 we'd heard more about CivIII than we've heard yet about IV.

Heffalump said:
The absence of information from Firaxis regarding the game is striking. As I remember, by March 2001 we'd heard more about CivIII than we've heard yet about IV.
Possibly because they realise their little polygon graphics look too bad in order to present them... though you are very right: According to the prospected release date being within 2005 (haha) info is rather scarce- assuming that date is considered as potentialy realistic- at least by their own standard.

They are probably getting the date from EB Games. That said, both are probably inaccurate.
Here's a thread about it: :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=112931

And also, it is kind of weird that the only news we got from the GDC was the NDL announcement. I think a lot of people really expected a few more details from this year's GDC.

Jun 01, and (almost) no viable info out, yet? No way. - Or, no buy.

GREAT Job, Civrules! (i am just posting so that i will get emailed every time u update! :lol: )

the100thballoon said:
GREAT Job, Civrules! (i am just posting so that i will get emailed every time u update! :lol: )

You know you can just select "subscribe to thread" under the Thread Tools menu at the top of the thread instead of making another post...

I read this whole thread and did not see anything saying where to post ideas for Civ 4, or to volunteer for beta testing.

Here are some suggestions for Civ 4.

a) Have a Python call-back for naming cities. That would allow names to be proposed based on geographic location.

b) Have a Python call-back for determining the next thing to build, based on what has been built, tiles being worked, number and happiness of citizens, corruption, nearness of enemies, etc.. The call-back should be able to say whether to alert the user about the next build; if the call-back was certain, it could not alert the user, while if it was not certain, it could alert the user. (Hopefully, the previous suggestion will be implemented, of creating a To-Do list instead of forcing the user to deal with each popup screen, while avoiding certain abuses such as changing wealth vs. thing builds or squares worked for cities other than what the popup is for.)

c) Allow users to create test scripts, so that modpacks and scripts could be automatically tested. This might need to expose a good portion of what the user sees.

d) Have a Python call-back that would allow units to be optionally moved.

I would like to volunteer to beta-test Civ 4, especially as it relates to Python scripts. Does anyone know where I can offer my services in that area?

Thanks!

DavidForthoffer said:
I read this whole thread and did not see anything saying where to post ideas for Civ 4, or to volunteer for beta testing.

The forum you're posting in is for ideas & suggestion, hence the "Civ4 - Ideas & Suggestions" name. And no, there's currently no beta signup.
BTW, welcome to CFC!

Chieftess said:
You know you can just select "subscribe to thread" under the Thread Tools menu at the top of the thread instead of making another post...
really? sorry...

Heffalump said:

Probalby so that they don't have to deal with people complaining that a feature that early press claimed would be in there isn't in the game.

Top Bottom