Map Discussion

DaveMcW

Deity
What kind of map do you want? I'm going to provide some general maps scripts, which will serve as a basis for the customized map that will follow. What I want your team to do is let me know what kind of map you'd like to see for this game. Here are five general options to think about:

Wheel: One of the better Multiplayer maps for this sort of game, and a very "fair" map, with equal territory for all civs and access to each team. May be too unnatural for some teams' tastes. Also on the small side.

Donut: A fun script added in the expansion. All the teams start on the outside edge of the donut, with a large region of peaks in the middle. The peaks can also be replaced by water, or standard terrain, if desired. Lots of early contact on this map.

Islands: A map that features lots of water and naval combat. Each team has their own starting island to themselves, which may or may not be what you want. The islands by default are separated by ocean, but they can be bridged by turning on the "tiny islands" setting.

No Tiny Islands

Various Tiny Islands

Archipelago/Snaky Continents: One of my personal favorites, due to the crazy and unpredictable land forms it spits out. Navies will still be emphasized heavily on this script. Here are three different looks, with different settings:

Global Highlands: A more interesting take on Pangaea, IMO. The peaks make for all sorts of wacky geographical formations, and interesting decisions on where to settle. Lots of customization options in the settings too. The latter two pictures explore some of the peak options.

Now what I would like from each team is to discuss and agree on a ranking of your three top preferences. This doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get the script that you picked first, but I will take into account what kind of map each team wanted. For example, if your team was dead-set on an Islands map, I'll lean more towards the naval ones in the overall decision. You can also simply say, "we trust the map maker, come up with a mystery game that looks awesome" as I know a couple of teams have suggested. If that's the general team feeling, you can skip this discussion entirely. ;)

Once again, I'm asking each team to come to a decision on their top three map preferences by Saturday, March 27. At that point, I'll see what each team decided and do my best to come up with something agreeable to everyone (although that may be impossible...) Thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you! :cool:

How dare this interloper presume to give our Sovereign options and deadlines? His Majesty will decide what he desires when he desires, outlander!

Personally I'd want the "trust the mapmaker" option, but maybe something based off the Tectonics-Lakes script (but with more grassland and peaks and less plains), but that's just me.

If we're gonna talk about the above choices I'd go with a food improved global highlands (either of the 3) as number 1 and the top Archipelago/Snaky Continents as number 2. The Wheel/Donnut are too bland/predictable.

Úmarth;9019348 said:
How dare this interloper presume to give our Sovereign options and deadlines? His Majesty will decide what he desires when he desires, outlander!

I know, it is unheard of, but we must face the fact that until his Majesty has stepped forward to be appointed as his Majesty, we cannot efficiently act out his will. :(

As such, and considering this outlander appears new here, I suppose we should ask most humbly that his Majesty may forgive him and that, until his Majesty claims his rightful title, we should act in what we believe is best for his Majesty's glorious regime. :smoke:

However, not presuming my wisdom up to the task of effectively carrying out this decision for his Majesty, I shall pass on my vote and allow whatever the mapmaking heathens may desire. :)

As in all things his Majesty the King will speak on our behalf in regards to this decision, in fact it will be one of the first decisions he makes. The deadline set by the game admin in this thread was one of the things I took in to consideration when setting the deadline for the ballots.

Whether or not you choose to post in this thread before a King sits on the throne is entirely your choice. One King may find that walking into the unsolicited advice of nobles welcome. Another may find that you are presumptious, an idiot, and do not understand your place in the Monarchy. He may in turn remember your name, and keep in you place - a lower place - for some time.

As in all things you are accountable for your actions. As long as you remember that, and don't start jockeying for King or supporting candidates or platforms openly like this is some Democracy (cough) openly, then ... well... game on :)

Cheers.

The Archipelago-Snaky Continents map script looks like a bad idea. If you look at one of the screenshot-examples, there's one civilization isolated on one rather big island, while 4 of the others are connected on one continent. This most likely can and will lead to a civilization that ends up quite strong buildwise when the players realize "Hey! We have this entire continent to ourselves!".

Any map should be either "Everyone connected by land" - or "Noone connected by land" - if we're looking for balance amongst the teams at least. :)

My humble opinion is to go with a broad guide of continents(a few medium islands mixed in near the main landmasses)/medium sea. All of the smaller details I would trust the map maker. Since the computer isn't generating our map, I am very confident that we'll get a solid map regardless of what option our king chooses.

(the first pic of the global highlands is what land shape I'm talking about, but without all the mountains)

The Archipelago-Snaky Continents map script looks like a bad idea. If you look at one of the screenshot-examples, there's one civilization isolated on one rather big island, while 4 of the others are connected on one continent. This most likely can and will lead to a civilization that ends up quite strong buildwise when the players realize "Hey! We have this entire continent to ourselves!".

Any map should be either "Everyone connected by land" - or "Noone connected by land" - if we're looking for balance amongst the teams at least. :)

I do agree, everybody should be able to establish communications with each other team before astronomy, isolated starts would unbalance the game IMO.

I do agree, everybody should be able to establish communications with each other team before astronomy, isolated starts would unbalance the game IMO.

That is also a very valid point that I - even with my limited MP experience - agree with you on.

I vow obedience to HRH THE KING's divine wisdom, and I do hope He does not take insult at my earthly advice: If the Maker of Maps could be convinced to emphasize natives on a wheel map, our expansion is ensured. A little bloodshed is a small price to pay for spreading civilization amongst the disorganized tribes.

Top Bottom