Best Civilization/Leader in CIVILIZATION V (October 2010)

Best Civ

• America

Votes: 37 4.2%
  • Arabia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Aztec

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • China

Votes: 138 15.7%
  • Egypt

Votes: 42 4.8%
  • England

Votes: 47 5.4%
  • France

Votes: 81 9.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Greece

Votes: 76 8.7%
  • India

Votes: 21 2.4%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 36 4.1%
  • Ottoman

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Persia

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • Rome

Votes: 55 6.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Siam

Votes: 30 3.4%
  • Songhai

Votes: 28 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Songhai for me, get shed loads of gold fast by taking out barbarians :D helps that i play with raging barbarians on tho :p pays for alot of buildings to.....

I am surprised no one mentioned Spain. With a handful of scouts you can find all the world wonders and build cities near them. You get tons of gold to buy settlers while other civs are just building their third warrior Then you get double bonuses when you cities incorporate the wonder. Then later, you get conquistadors who can go to other lands, kill the barbarians and build a city. For me Spain is the most powerful due to the huge early game advantages. You just have to choose all happiness traits for your religion.

For islands whatshisname that gets warrior that can travel over water from the beginning without researching Sailing and ** (the next one). This allows you to find the best locations early, get the benefits of all the ruins, and spread out faster than opponents. Just have to watch out for attacks by other civs. However if you get some well placed cities early, you can defeat others with better production capability.

I think China is probably third. The double attacks of the cho cho no (or whatever) make you nearly invincible.

Thread is confusing. Best civ in civ 5 isnt on this list, but the best civ in this list id say is Russia. My favorite however would be china. China fits my playstyle perfectly but Russias ability is superior imo.

really old thread some one necroed, they're all vanilla civs although there are some I'd still put near the top of the list. Poor France though, doubt their numbers would be the same now. Definitely not second best behind China anymore.

There should be a new poll made for this topic.

I was about to, but 25 choices are the limit and there are 43 civs in all.

I haven't nearly played them all, and I just started playing BNW recently.

I really like Poland's UA. Social policies and tenets are powerful.

I enjoy Egypt. Wonders are nice, and so is the Burial Tomb.

I really enjoy the Aztecs, but I've had a hard time winning with them in the 2 games I started, back in Vanilla. I think it was partially that I wasn't as good then, and also some bad luck.

I'm looking forward to trying a game as Byzantium, because the extra faith thing seems like it could be pretty powerful.

Another favorite is Siam. I love the war elephants and the UA is potentially really powerful, although I haven't been able to make good use of it in the games I've played as them (same problems as the Aztecs).

Indonesia is super fun on a map with even a semi-decent amount of islands.

I think any civ can be good, a lot depends on circumstances (like start position)

China, with Persia as a close second. These are the only two Civs I have ever won regular Immortal conquest games with (on Vanilla and GK). By regular, I mean standard settings.

Of course, other Civs are better for other victory conditions.

First Post*******

I don't know if you guys know this but Germany is great against Barbarians. If I ever set up a game with raging barbarians I always play as Germany. Germany has a 50% chance of gaining a barbarian unit and 25 gold after taking an encampment. That means that (a. You can build a bigger army @ half the price, (b. you have an extra unit to defeat the barbarians you haven't destroyed near the encampment and (c. Although they may not be completely upgraded when they join you that means that they are good for expendability i.e wearing down a barbarian gatling gun with newly aquired archer and not having to damage your more valuable crossbowman.

I always team up with Japan because there army is kick ass.

Hail Mighty Bismark

Germany is my choice for large scale conquest games at Emperor. With raging Barbs, you can get enough early warriors to take out the nearest civ very early on.

At Immortal of higher, Germany's units are not strong enough.

Why no España?

I'm not voting without Isabella!

Also what do you mean by best? best in player hands or AI hands, best as in personal fav or best as in easiest to play?

Moderator Action: Vanilla prefix and date of poll added to thread

Why no España?

I'm not voting without Isabella!

Also what do you mean by best? best in player hands or AI hands, best as in personal fav or best as in easiest to play?

This ancient thread was narced again.
No DLC was included in the thread, but the only one around in Oct 2010 was Babylon, and even that might have still required it have been preordered on the date this poll was made.
I'd recommend looking at page 1 or 2 if you want to know if OP meant in the hands of the human or the AI.

ok, thanks jon, the poll was ages ago and a lot of things changed.

for me it's Gandhi I guess, his UA is weird and a bit tricky to use, but I like tall anyways. plus the elephants are really good early game

China by a mile. With 6 Chu-ko-nu (5 to attack, 1 to defend) I can win a domination victory on immortal without ever breaking a sweat.

100% Arabia
I'm relatively new to the game but since I've started I tried all the supposedly best tier Civ's and found the gold income trading potential and warmonger potential add up really well, you're expected to trade for the whole game but while doing so gain much gold per tern allowing you leeway for a huge army, the camel archer is imense in all aspects

As I say i am quite new and understand if there is something in missing with other Civ's

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back in Vanilla it was definitely France. Now days, Babylon gets my vote.

Babylon was actually zero day DLC (bonus content for preordering Vanilla) but wasn't included in the poll by OP (nor was Mongolia which was free DLC). Even on CD release, Babylon had the fastest victory times when played by a human. (Each GS yielded an entire tech of the players choosing back then)

I myself since the Beginning have been a Naval army type of guy. Though I always have had an ally to muster up an Army to take the Besieged cities I was the one with Naval Control. I Jay Abaddon proudly carry the Ottoman Flag into battle every day. Though I have done some dabbling in Britain what won me over was truly the Massive Naval Fleet you could gain after 5-15 Turns within building 1 Trireme and near Tripling it once you build a Caravel, Sure I love the Man of War ships and they do outclass the Frigates but, you can easily outnumber 1 Man of War to 3 Frigates within the time they have built 1 ship you will have 5. Gold however is a large reliance, always keep it as a plus and you will end happy. Another plus is the amount of Cities you need to win. I have played for a long time now and the Minimum is 3, Get them all coastal if possible, though I realize many of you think that they aren't good on some maps because of lack of water, on Earth however you dominate which is a mid-ground truly for Water and Earth. But, what many don't realize is how Good the UU are really good. You first gunpowder unit HEALS on kills like the Jaguars and the Sipahi are pretty Top Teir for their time, and the Lifespan of these UU are from the Discovery of Gunpowder to Trench Warfare, With a large enough army yourself and the Navy forever Increasing you will be one happy player, I do recommend Honor and Commerce for your 2 Policies because, the Downside to the Ottomans is their really isn't much time for Culture when you are laying wast to your enemies. :c5greatperson::king::c5greatperson:

sorry. whales in game resources is a shame today. better none in the other else. the forum is empty almost.ivory shame on the logic. I may be repeating elsewhere but a right is for good to repeat.
I saw playgames of 6 . you need to cope to people needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom