Fall Further - The Original Thread

/already played some, awesome awesome job. Archos seem balanced too however spiders are weak except mother :) BUT
insane power recon line with harsupex that you can have in addition to eidolons.
Also, seem Archos are FoL only. They greatly benefit from FoL religion (capital size, Dark Wealds, Same tech line for religion heroes. ), while other religions being less preferable than FoL for them. This also cool from RP point of wiev, making them dark, wild preservers of nature, and original nature law - stronger survives.

I've just posted a Patch B to sort out the Dural-disciples.

OK, I downloaded and installed patch 'b.'

It didn't affect the Chislev button problem - it's still there.

Are your patches cumulative like the ones for FFH2, or should I have loaded BOTH 'a' and 'b'?

Anyway, I see patch 'k' for FFH2 has been released and that it breaks saved games. Drat, I have a really fun game going with these Chislev guys and I hate to give it up.:(

OK, I downloaded and installed patch 'b.'

It didn't affect the Chislev button problem - it's still there.

Are your patches cumulative like the ones for FFH2, or should I have loaded BOTH 'a' and 'b'?

Anyway, I see patch 'k' for FFH2 has been released and that it breaks saved games. Drat, I have a really fun game going with these Chislev guys and I hate to give it up.:(

Hmm - patch B does contain the patch A changes. I'd try reinstalling the patch first, making sure that what you have includes the XML\Art\Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml - this is the one that I think must be missing if you can't see the buttons still. If the other files were absent, you'd be getting pink-buttons.

Be sure that you allow it to overwrite existing files when you unpack - if it doesn't ask you to allow it, the files aren't going to the right place for some reason.

As for the Patch k breaking save games - finish the game you're on, by the time it's done I should have updated to Patch k anyway :)

/already played some, awesome awesome job. Archos seem balanced too however spiders are weak except mother :) BUT
insane power recon line with harsupex that you can have in addition to eidolons.
Also, seem Archos are FoL only. They greatly benefit from FoL religion (capital size, Dark Wealds, Same tech line for religion heroes. ), while other religions being less preferable than FoL for them. This also cool from RP point of wiev, making them dark, wild preservers of nature, and original nature law - stronger survives.

Good stuff - seems they're working largely as intended. The spiders are largely a flavour addition, though they can be very useful at times, especially if you get an early giant-spider. The number you can feasibly get is closely linked to the size of the capital (as well as the spawn rate) so with a Size 20 Nest, you're looking at about 10 strong spiders, spawning quite quickly, before we count the bonuses for Dark Wealds and other cities.

Still - they are supposed to rely on the tribesmen first and foremost. The only boost I've really considered so far for the spiders is a Barnaxus type effect with Mother - the stronger she becomes, the stronger her offspring.

Fellowship of Leaves also sounds about right - it really does help them to grow the nest-size if they adopt Guardian of Nature. For a Neutral religion, Fellowship has always seemed to be favoured by the "good" side - this would be the dark side.

They also make fairly decent Veilites (huge nest possible with Sacrifice the Weak) and Order can also do them some good (Social Order and garrisoning to deal with unhappiness) though they're probably less appropriate. I've used Octopus Overlords quite successfully - again for the nest-size. Kilmorph and Empyrean seem to be of limited use to them however.

Moderator Action: I'm going to move this to the player made content subforum. Nice work Vehem.

Do you need any unique building graphics done? I have some spare time at the moment.

Moderator Action: I'm going to move this to the player made content subforum. Nice work Vehem.

Thanks

woddelf said:
Do you need any unique building graphics done? I have some spare time at the moment.

Actually, I could really use some unique art for the Dural Statues - they're currently all represented by the Shrine of Sirona and it'd be really nice to give them a more flavourful look.

Basically, there are 7 statues in total, named for 7 "virtues" that the Dural hold in high regard.

Loyalty, Valor, Courage, Hope, Inspiration, Purity and Glory - roughly in that order of "importance" and in-game strength (Loyalty is an early one, Glory is the most potent).

Each is a work of art in its own right, but reflects the virtue that it represents and instills that in the people of its city. In game terms it may add a promotion [Loyalty, Valor, Courage, Purity - Magic Resist, Glory - Free Promotion] or boost some aspect of the city [Statue of Inspiration and Statue of Hope are permanent versions of the spell-buildings, with double normal effect]

With that in mind, I'm completely open to how they would look in-game and I'd really appreciate anything you can come up with. Hopefully the statues would be of use to other mods as well - I can see a lot of "reuse" value to them.

Well, I can do one of two things. First I could rip off some statues from Gods of Old and make them fit a theme or I could brainstorm some symbols and put them on pedestals. I like the second idea better, but I need to find a some representative pics to get me going. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I can do one of two things. First I could rip off some statues from Gods of Old and make them fit a theme or I could brainstorm some symbols and put them on pedestals. I like the second idea better, but I need to find a some representative pics to get me going. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I'd never actually looked at the "Gods of Old" mod in all the time I've had it (my playing since BtS has been pretty much Age of Ice, Final Frontier and then Shadow, with a brief flirtation with the normal epic-game). If I'd spotted those when I was making the statues, I would probably have nicked them straight off. I must admit I'm intrigued by your second idea too though.

I've also just had a trawl through the buildings I've added and the only other ones that I can see that could desperately use artwork are the Palaces. The Chislev one is the generic option, "Mother's Nest" is distinctly un-nestlike and the Dural are squatting in the Kuriotate palace for the moment. As most of the default civs have some really quite impressive palaces, it'd be nice to have something special for the "new guys".

To be honest though - if there's something in the mod that is reusing existing art and you think you can improve on it - I'll gladly use it.

Thanks. I'd never actually looked at the "Gods of Old" mod in all the time I've had it (my playing since BtS has been pretty much Age of Ice, Final Frontier and then Shadow, with a brief flirtation with the normal epic-game). If I'd spotted those when I was making the statues, I would probably have nicked them straight off. I must admit I'm intrigued by your second idea too though.

I'm currently looking at Tibetan symbolism as a potential choice. There are 8 of those and I can make 7 of them possible fit into your Virtues. Link here if you want to look at the page I'm checking.

I've also just had a trawl through the buildings I've added and the only other ones that I can see that could desperately use artwork are the Palaces. The Chislev one is the generic option, "Mother's Nest" is distinctly un-nestlike and the Dural are squatting in the Kuriotate palace for the moment. As most of the default civs have some really quite impressive palaces, it'd be nice to have something special for the "new guys".

To be honest though - if there's something in the mod that is reusing existing art and you think you can improve on it - I'll gladly use it.

Either post here some rough ideas for the palaces or send me a PM. I haven't played your modmod yet so don't have a feel for these new guys. ;)

I'm currently looking at Tibetan symbolism as a potential choice. There are 8 of those and I can make 7 of them possible fit into your Virtues. Link here if you want to look at the page I'm checking.

Look interesting and definitely more "artistic" than the Gods of Old statues.

Either post here some rough ideas for the palaces or send me a PM. I haven't played your modmod yet so don't have a feel for these new guys. ;)

Ah - k

Archos Palace - the Archos live on the surface and appear at first glance to be a typical barbarian (human) tribe, but the real "Power behind the throne" comes from below the village. The palace building is named "Mother's Nest" and houses the Haruspex and Mother's brood. The majority of it is underground, with possibly some ornamental/temple style decoration around it's entrance on the surface. I'd originally tried to adapt the "Hobbit holes" to make an entry-point to the caves, but couldn't really make it fit. The "symbolism" for the spider cult is reflected in their flag (can be seen here) if that would help for the decoration.

Chislev - Generally based on Native Americans in appearance - more Sioux/Iroquois than Aztec/Inca. I've used the "Teepee" and "Wigwam" buildings from the repository for their other unique buildings, but the Palace is currently the generic one. Ideally it'd be a ring of tents around a campfire and small totems I think.

Dural - Monument builders. They like their buildings to be artistically impressive so the Palace would be no exception. The style of their current stand-in (Kuriotate Palace) suits them quite well, though possibly with the addition of statues/a fountain out the front to emphasize that aspect.

What do you want these statues made of? Rock, marble, some sort of metal? Pedestal the same, different?

What do you want these statues made of? Rock, marble, some sort of metal? Pedestal the same, different?

Marble/Bronze sounds about right - maybe marble pedestal and bronze symbols?

I've just updated for Patch K and bundled the existing patches (Chislev Buttons and Students) into the main download.

To update;

(1) Patch to FFH2030k (using Kael's patch).
(2) Redownload this mod using the link in the intro-posts and apply as before.

Note: I've used GIT to update this semi-automatically. I've done a brief check of it in-game and it all looks fine, but haven't tested everything as thoroughly as I normally do - I'm relying on GIT to do its job properly. If you notice anything amiss - let me know and I'll try to sort it out manually.

Wow, that was fast!:)

I'm downloading both patches now and will abandon the Chislev game.

I played just over 500 turns and was well ahead on pts. However, I got boxed in on all sides by expanding ai civs and, unless, I declare war (and there are plenty of defensive pacts), I will be stuck with five cities. Also, it is one of those strange games where the AC hasn't moved much - it is only at 6!

I enjoyed playing the Chislev, but, of course didn't get any heroes with Strength of Will far away and didn't quite make Feral Bond (I had FOL).

One thing I thought about...I was going to build the Mercurian Gate, but the color of the Chislev was the same as the Mercurians, I think. That might have been confusing, but I know there is a limit on civ colors.

I don't know what happened with your button patch. I loaded just like the original patch, and still had the button for every unit given as the Warrior button.

I'm not sure if I will try the Chislev again next game, or one of your other civs. Thanks again for making the mod even more interesting and fun!

One thing I thought about...I was going to build the Mercurian Gate, but the color of the Chislev was the same as the Mercurians, I think. That might have been confusing, but I know there is a limit on civ colors.

The Chislev are actually a pale-yellow and the Mercurians are nearly white - if you see the two borders adjacent you should be able to tell the difference quite easily (unless you've got low contrast/high brightness settings). Either way - their buttons are now part of the main download for 011, so you should definitely see them this time once you've patched up.

Let me know what you think of this texture. It's the Conch Shell which represents Valor.

It's obviously too big in this fscale and I need to throw a shadow on it before uploading it.

The Chislev are actually a pale-yellow and the Mercurians are nearly white - if you see the two borders adjacent you should be able to tell the difference quite easily (unless you've got low contrast/high brightness settings). Either way - their buttons are now part of the main download for 011, so you should definitely see them this time once you've patched up.

It probably has more to do with my inability to distinguish colors that are similar than the colors you have chosen for the civs.:) A bit of color blindness.

Anyway, I'm not sure what happened, but I downloaded and installed patch 'k' of FFH2 - no problem there. Then, I tried to download and install your patch, and... nothing.

Things are really screwed up now. I bought and installed The Complete Civilization IV package that includes Civ4, Warlords, and BtS - no need for any patches to those. However, they are installed in a created '2K' directory that really messes things up when I do my FFH2 patching and installing. Now it seems I have Mod and Assets folders allover the place. I even tried uninstalling .30 and starting again from scratch, but whenever I try to load your 011 patch, it always creates a new Assets folder no matter where I try to install (from the ZIP) even if there is already an Assets folder there.

I'll keep trying, but it is very frustrating trying to get these patch installations right now. :sad:

Sorry for the rant.

Top Bottom