[Guide] Resource Gathering (beta)

Do you have a global happiness bonus from wonder or policies?

If so, your guys are super-ecstatic. If happiness works like it was previously speculated, by reducing the penalty for movement, then both have their route reduced by four, which is larger than or equal to their total route for both of them. The top right guy then has a route equal to 4-4=0, the lower guy has a route of 3.5-4=-0.5. If the game doesn't give a bonus for negative work route, then what is happening in the pic is that both are working at their maximum possible capacity.

That's my theory anyways.

Good theory.

Ginormous university, small village green = 24
Gin uni, mod green = 24
Gin uni, large green = 28
Gin uni, gin green = 28

Still doing that thing where upgrades don't matter.

Are your guys ecstatic? I am wondering if they have an extra ecstatic bonus that is levelling out at the top end.

Are your guys ecstatic? I am wondering if they have an extra ecstatic bonus that is levelling out at the top end.

If I have a game where I have production to burn, I am going to test this with merely happy scientists.

No, they were just content.

This time I tested with houses at different distances:
Ginormous Museum , Small Village Green 17 14 12
moddest 17 16 13
large 20 16 13
ginormous 20 17 14

So each larger version did improve something, just not all of them.

Ok, I think we've got enough principles in place to determine the top 5 productivity layouts for a single Farmer, in order:

You are missing:

_W_
WOW
_GH

with the house adjacent to 3 happiness tiles (water being one of them).

Also your #1 shows 4 happiness tiles which I'm not sure 4 happiness increases, but you can get 3 happiness with the granary beneath the house and the total travel is shorter by 1 assuming 1.5 for diagonal.

My statement is a wash if 4 happiness exists because 1 happiness == 1 distance, but it is still superior for 3 happiness.

thanks for this.

so far i have been doing

pppp
pppp
pppp
hgh and it was ok, will try your set up now. it is sort of tricky to get all of it set so multiple houses are by forests and water as well as the granary and able to get to the 40 pasture in just 2 moves.

Great guide. I haven't read through all of the 7+ pages of posts, but wanted to add my 2 cents over the bubble popping. I think that it is somewhat helpful early in the game when your trickle bonus isn't that great and picking up twenty bubbles or so can actually make a difference. That is, I'm ten hammers away from being able to upgrade my lumber mill. Bubble popping can get that in no time. Also, I won a contest yesterday where in around 45 minutes I popped over 200 bubbles. This was in the second age, so I kind of question 23 bubbles in 20 minutes.

I changed out a library/Village Green combo with a University/Village Green- no other changes.

Harvest went from 426 to 647.... or about 1.5x more.

This should be made into a sticky topic.

It'd also be nice if we had a strategy forum for Civ World where stuff like this topic could go.

Great guide. I haven't read through all of the 7+ pages of posts, but wanted to add my 2 cents over the bubble popping. I think that it is somewhat helpful early in the game when your trickle bonus isn't that great and picking up twenty bubbles or so can actually make a difference. That is, I'm ten hammers away from being able to upgrade my lumber mill. Bubble popping can get that in no time. Also, I won a contest yesterday where in around 45 minutes I popped over 200 bubbles. This was in the second age, so I kind of question 23 bubbles in 20 minutes.

I just won a contest with 1050 bubbles over 2 hours, though I was probably only popping them for one hour.
Early in the game, only had 3 pop but the bubbles were appearing all the time. I had my houses and work spaces all in a line so I could just move my mouse backwards and forwards in a line and if a bubble appeared, it would get it automatically.

One thing I did notice is that bubbles appear more often. I am assuming that is because of my low pop and having everyone together.
Perhaps there is an inbuilt timer where one of your peons anywhere on the map will spawn a bubble, you just wont see it unless they are bunched up and on screen.

Edit : Nevermind - found the text passage about sharing resources for more than one house which will cut down on productivity...

Some folks have been posting over in the official forums that the trickle income only counts the first 16 citizens. Tonight I finally hit 17 citizens for the first time and verified that those people are wrong. It is not limited to the first 16 citizens. Therefore maxing out your population as quickly as possible will reap huge rewards.

At the full 32 citizens that's 34 of each resource every 5 minutes or 408 per hour not counting bonuses or penalties from wonders, great people, the era and civics.

^^
Then the developers must have fixed that bug without a notification,
because the last time I checked it (weeks ago), the trickle income didn't increase after population 16.
I'll try to confirm this in my current game.

It was working for the 17th citizen for the several trickles I watched before logging off. However, when I logged back in it was no longer counting the 17th citizen and my trickle was back down to just the first 16. This makes me think it's a bug that the 17th-32nd citizens aren't providing trickle.

I have read this guide but I don't quite get how resources work. I mean, if I have 3 citiens with values of 5,4 and 4, I click harvest button and I get 13 food.

Where does the farm(or similar) food value come into play? Same with the granary.
I built lots of cornfields and a granary, and I still get 5+4+4 food only when I harvest.

I have something to share regarding the workroute - happiness discussion. Just testet the following. H=house; C = Cornfield with 20 food; O = small orchard;

HCO

vs.

H_CO

First example, happy house with 20 food cornfield and a small granary. Route = 4.
Second example, ecstatic house with 20 food cornfield and a small granary. Route = 6.

route - Hapiness in the first example is 4 - 1 = 3.
route - happiness in the second example is 6 - 3 = 3.

Still the second guy does produce 10 food vs. the 9 food of the first guy. Any thoughts? Moving it to the minimal Triangle while only content still produces 9 Food. That could be due to rounding though.

As stated above, the food per Farmer scales with the ressource, the happyness, the work route, the granary upgrades and the % value from prophets, era, civics. My data suggests, that the output scales linear with the ressourcevalue. Leaving all other Factors unchanged, a farmer on a 30 food orchard yields 3 times the food of the same farmer on a 10 food garden. Now i'd like to know how the food output scales with the other factors (happyness, workroute, granary).

Top Bottom