[Guide] The Art of War

From a recent battle : the MVP wasn't the one with most strength, units or both.
The MVP player's stack had the most strength and was added in the battlescreen later than the one with most units + strength.

Suprised noone mentioned this here.

Since the attacking damage is based on the entire force, but the losses depend on the defending stack stance. It is beneficial to have a few small stacks fortified to soak up the losses.

Fortified to reduce loses, small so if the opposing killer stack hits it, you lose less than full value. This is doubly effective if you are generalling the battle and can quickly replace the gaps when they open up.

Soldier for soldier it's optimum to have 1 gigantic stack and multiple fortified tiny stacks for each unit type, yes. Unfortunately you can only put your own units in, and usually as general you'd have some of the large stacks, meaning you'd need to get lucky and have it attack your fortified stacks, and only applies to unit types that have multiple different units in that point of the tech tree. (Horsemen/mobile are pretty cool for this except for that awkward tank-only era)

What I'm saying is you'd still want as many people to be online to replace their own sponge stacks. The general alone is invaluable in being able to shuffle orders around depending on how the battle goes but alone he can only go so far.

I"m not so sure about that... because if somebody comes up against you with everything in heroic, and winds up with more power than you they could whittle you down pretty quickly. Also having only one kind of unit massed leaves you really vulnerable to weather...

My last battle we had 5330 and they had 4920.... we lost about 100 units, they lost over 600 units and got totally decimated.

Interestingly enough the computer employed a good strategy for us. The enemy was weak on mobile units so my army trashed all their calvary and knights and then ours got the flanking bonus , then we started in on their melee, the battle ended up with them having nothing left but the cruisers and a few longbows...

The ABSOLUTE optimum with X amount of units would be all of them in one huge stack, and 1upt (lol) in all the other cards. In this case It doesn't matter if that 1 unit is on heroic or not; there is marginal attack power difference.

The more even the stacks, then the more sense it is to set everything to Heroic to boost army combat rating.

Those two above are no-brainers. In a more practical situation when the main stacks are 300-400 and auxillary stacks are 50-100 is when it gets interesting and is a more careful balancing game. You have to figure if the extra attack rating from the 50-stacks are worth it vs a 3/4 chance of taking 1/6th the damage. 1/6th damage is a huge difference.

re: Weather: If you want predictability (good thing imo), you're already massing one of each of melee/ranged/mobile(/naval) anyway and these are typically different weather attributes anyway.

Top Bottom